• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Y THE LAST MAN on FX (TBD)
2 2

113 posts in this topic

Not surprising, given that the show never even got traction here - comic geek central.

And honestly, after the first episode, I never felt compelled to go back and finish Season 1.

I did, however, reach out to my bookshelf and reread the first two trades.

Still a great series.

On 10/18/2021 at 5:54 AM, Bosco685 said:

CANCELLED

No - it was a great comic - comics are places to leave the real world behind - not a platform for 'agendas'

Do it again - just as written and it will be great

On 10/17/2021 at 12:03 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Not surprising, given that the show never even got traction here - comic geek central.

And honestly, after the first episode, I never felt compelled to go back and finish Season 1.

I did, however, reach out to my bookshelf and reread the first two trades.

Still a great series.

as I heard Donald Westlake say when someone told him that Hollywood had ruined one of his books 'no, it's perfectly fine sitting up there on the bookshelf'

This is what happens when you lose sight of who your audience is. I do not mean that in a negative way in the slightest.  When who have a property like Y the Last Man, which had a loyal audience, but not necessarily a large one.  It was certainly not a well known property with the general public.  So when you take that story and strip everything away except for the bear bones, and then reimagine it  to the point it is barely the same story, what audience do you have left?

On 10/18/2021 at 1:07 AM, Beige said:

Capture.thumb.JPG.9b3510a5dd6eccef19873c4fca98b886.JPG

I posted up all the early issues and I'm hearing crickets in terms of sales and offers.  I probably have $400 into a couple near complete runs that I'll be sitting on for awhile since I'd love to at least re-read the whole series.

It may be a longshot, but I could potentially see this being picked up by another network. Not sure if I would gamble with buying a 9.8 #1 right now, but longterm still might be worth investing in during the incoming dump.

On 10/18/2021 at 10:19 AM, Tnexus said:

It may be a longshot, but I could potentially see this being picked up by another network. Not sure if I would gamble with buying a 9.8 #1 right now, but longterm still might be worth investing in during the incoming dump.

That is exactly what she is shooting for announcing this prior to the end of the season.

On 10/17/2021 at 1:12 PM, Beige said:

No - it was a great comic - comics are places to leave the real world behind - not a platform for 'agendas'

Do it again - just as written and it will be great

I agree, far too much entertainment these days is used as a platform for an agenda instead of creating a really great product. In general I think the viewing public isn't interested in agenda and prefer to escape from it.

The TV show had moments and I watched all of it so far including episode 8 today. Is it "must see TV"? Not really.

As to the comic, I started it, never finished it because I felt it wasn't going anywhere. I own the trades, I might give it another chance.

given how badly some of these streaming services have fared recently in comic adaptation (Jupiter's Legacy, Y), I hope Sandman doesn't fall victim as well. I think if Sandman flops, I think the party's over on the streaming service adaptations. 

On 10/18/2021 at 4:35 PM, Lpgk said:

given how badly some of these streaming services have fared recently in comic adaptation (Jupiter's Legacy, Y), I hope Sandman doesn't fall victim as well. I think if Sandman flops, I think the party's over on the streaming service adaptations. 

Neil Gaiman is heavily involved in the casting and stories. That gives me much more faith.

On 10/19/2021 at 1:26 AM, Bosco685 said:

That is exactly what she is shooting for announcing this prior to the end of the season.

If it continues in the same vein - then why would anyone pick up this 'woke' version.

To be pulled mid-season - and Season One at that, means this turkey is dead.

The viewers voted - it sucked, they turned off.

End Of Story.

I really hope someone just dos it as written one day.

On 10/18/2021 at 6:04 PM, Beige said:

If it continues in the same vein - then why would anyone pick up this 'woke' version.

End Of Story.

Shows that have had successful campaigns to save they series or at least have pushed off cancelation have had a few more things going in their favor.  Mainly, more episodes under their belt, some semblance of buzz, and often a big name taking off the cause.  What sized fan base do they have based on 8 episodes, that are so poorly viewed FX is not picking it back up (how many shows does FX even have)? Is there any buzz, at all?

Think of shows that have been saved:  Lucifer, The Expanse, Chuck, Arrested Development, and others.  They all had multiple seasons, and a good stockpile of episodes.  They were always more "on the cusp" then cancelled out of the gate.  Most importantly, the pressure was fan based and fan driven, it was not attempts by creators on twitter trying to drum up support (again who are they tweeting at). Shows were fans were passionate enough to invest time and their own money, to raise awareness of their favorite properties. 

On 10/18/2021 at 4:04 PM, Beige said:

End Of Story.

I honestly feel it went downhill when they introduced the crazy woman and the women that live with her in the warehouse. The "man hating" is a bit much, and I dont remember them from the books.

On 10/18/2021 at 3:03 PM, Bosco685 said:

Neil Gaiman is heavily involved in the casting and stories. That gives me much more faith.

His track record with Good Omens is spot on, I imagine this show is going to be a huge hit

On 10/18/2021 at 8:50 PM, Artboy99 said:

I honestly feel it went downhill when they introduced the crazy woman and the women that live with her in the warehouse. The "man hating" is a bit much, and I dont remember them from the books.

Because, it was not there.  The comic world was a world where women were left picking up the pieces of a devastated world, where they were trying to fill the holes that would naturally be created when half the population died. Not only were they morning the death of loved ones.  They were needing to learn fast how to take jobs and fill roles that were essential to keep society functioning. Plus, they were facing extinction, they men died quickly, remaining were dying slowly. To top that off they were trying to figure out what had happened, and if it could be reversed, and a single surviving man was the key. It was not woke, it was an interesting study of gender roles, what would happen if those roles could not exist, and how much men and women really needed one another to a degree to have a functioning sustainable human race.

Edited by drotto

On 10/18/2021 at 7:24 PM, drotto said:

Because, it was not there.  The comic world was a world where women were left picking up the pieces of a devastated world, where they were trying to fill the holes that would naturally be created when half the population died. Not only were they morning the death of loved ones.  They were needing to learn fast how to take jobs and fill roles that were essential to keep society functioning. Plus, they were facing extinction, they men died quickly, remaining were dying slowly. To top that off they were trying to figure out what had happened, and if it could be reversed, and a single surviving man was the key. It was not woke, it was an interesting study of gender roles, what would happen if those roles could not exist, and how much men and women really needed one another to a degree to have a functioning sustainable human race.

I liked the story I read in the comics even though I never finished. I only had the first 35ish books that I acquired in a collection I bought. I later bought the entire story in trade format that is lost in my gargantuan reading pile. In my opinion the "man hating" bunch were a mistake but I like the actress that plays their leader. Oh well the show had potential.

Edited by Artboy99