• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone like having long boxes underneath tables at Cons?

Long Boxes on the Floor?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Long Boxes on the Floor?

75 posts in this topic

Only slightly more annoying to me than boxes packed so tight it is a struggle to get them out. I will generally walk away from both.

I hate that. I can't stand it. I agree, it sometimes makes it impossible to look and 8 out of 10 times, I just walk away.

This is something as a seller I really don't understand.

Why is it SO difficult to take a few books out of the box, put them on top and flip through the titles you are looking at?

When my boxes are tight it means I've just restocked them.

As a retailer loose boxes make it much easier for thieves to grab books.

Impossible or am I supposed to guess what everybody's perfect box presentation is?

I always thought sellers didn't like if someone did that. If that's ok with the seller, then I will do that moving forward, I always got the impression that handling the books that way would cause issues

Did a small one day show in Bakersfield a couple months ago. Had my priced stuff on the tables and quarter books on the floor. Wasn't selling much. After a couple hours I decided to switch them. Put all the quarter books on tables. Spot got swarmed with people after a few minutes. I only do small shows to dump bulk stuff cheap (some wall books and priced stuff move as well). Bottom line- for the most part people don't want to look at boxes on the floor.

When I first started collecting, I would visit the boxes on the floor. I have gotten so great stuff but now no way. Personally, on the floor boxes creates a frenzy barrier to the table books. It will make me take a quick look at the table but for the most part I am going where there is less traffic.

If you put only one or two on the floor so you can control the traffic that should be fine. I have seen dealers put the cheaper, kiddie books that I buy on the floor next to their tables. So it doesn't obscure the path to their main inventory.

On the flip side, I will elbow my way through crowds to look at dollar books or cheap trades that are on the table. :)

Good luck with the show.

This is something as a seller I really don't understand.

Why is it SO difficult to take a few books out of the box, put them on top and flip through the titles you are looking at?

When my boxes are tight it means I've just restocked them.

As a retailer loose boxes make it much easier for thieves to grab books.

Impossible or am I supposed to guess what everybody's perfect box presentation is?

I've seen boxes packed so tightly that even if I take some out to loosen things up, I am extremely reluctant to put them back when finished because I'm concerned about causing damage. Just not enough room

Also, having people continually take stacks of books out and put them back in just increases handling wear and tear.

And, oh yeah, insert tight "box" joke here :D

That's how I remember this place. :roflmao:

Yes, if the boxes are packed too tight and you have a busy booth there is no were to even stack the removed comics just to browse. It gets frustrating for me as I am more concerned with damaging the books I removed vs actually now looking through the box. That and I have to constantly now move "that" stack around so I can continue through the box.

As a seller I have put boxes on the floor under my tables. I can say it probably was not worth the effort of bringing them as I sold very little from them. One exception is the time I put silver and bronze books on the floor as I had no room up top for them. If I did have room I am sure those boxes would have sold more if they had been on top anyways.

As a buyer I don't look at boxes on the floor, back doesn't bend well.

Any type of handling increases wear and tear on a book.

If the box is loose, books fall forward putting stress on the ones in front.

As books sell the box is a little easier to look through.

I didn't think that we needed a "How to browse through a dealers inventory thread so that everybody is happy".

I sometimes get the feeling that buyers will find any kind of excuse not to look. They see my Highgradecomics.com sign and assume I have no low grade books. They see nice mylars and assume I'm overpriced. They seem to equate my dollar sign with a one, not sure why since I didn't know the number 1 looks like a S.

Solution, buy some books and make it easier on the next customer.

Better yet "Talk to the seller" instead of getting frustrated and walking away.

Here is my observation as I get older.

Society is going way too far to being passive aggressive. We all build up resentments and silently hate each other. Nothing gets resolved.

i am a cheap-o box rummager, but at my advanced age i cannot get down there. i might look at the first 6 inches of books, but that is about it.

if you think you are going to be blowing stuff out on the top of the table over the course of a 3-4 day con I can see having stuff below to re-stock with and maybe sell a few of, but i would venture to guess that sitting on the floor these boxes do not generate a lot of revenue vs. the stuff topside and people looking in them get in the way and hang out.

i dont particularly care for it. Im not getting on the floor at a busy convention to dig through books. But thats just me.

Con-goers are disgusting enough as it is; I don't need to get down to butt-funk-to-face level for any comic book! :sick: