• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Grade This Cap #100

22 posts in this topic

This one is a bit of a toughie for me, due to the obvious flaw. Beyond the scan, what I can tell you is that the back cover shows better than the front, with just a couple of non-colour breaking stresses at the spine (very small). Both covers drip with gloss and are silk smooth, without a single indent, bent, hint of a bend....nothing at all, they are absolutely gorgeous. The bottom right corner has a slight rub and there is a bit of chipping on the leading edge. Interior is supple with cream to off-white pages and on the insides of the covers, there's that slight tan halo effect you get around the edges...nothing too pronounced, though. The problem is that pen mark on the leading edge. It simply looks like somebody had a pen in their hand doing something else and were careless enough to catch the cover for a second. Thing is, what would it do to the grade?

Anyone want to take a stab at a grade?

Cheers! CaptainAmerica100.jpg

Trust me, the back cover is a straight 9.2...one of those 'nothing to report' things.

The chip had me around the 8.5 mark, add in the pen and I'm thinking 7.5-8.0. However, in hand, it actually feels like it should be a 9.0-9.2...it's just so silky smooth and glossy.

Unfortunately the pen mark is all alone in the white area - one of things where neg. eye appeal is

worse than the actual defect. 8.0 - unless you change the pen mark into a distribution date. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Unfortunately the pen mark is all alone in the white area - one of things where neg. eye appeal is

worse than the actual defect. 8.0 - unless you change the pen mark into a distribution date. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

...which is not a bad idea. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just call me Danny!

Without the pen mark...it looks like a 9.0 to me.

8.0 would look to be the lowest grade that I'd expect the mark to drop the book.

thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for that!

OK, we're sorta getting close to a middle ground here. I think we could be talking 8.5. CGC take a more understanding view of chipping if it's a production fault rather than post-sale damage, and this is chipping on the leading edge. Also, nobody seems to be too fazed by the pen mark, other than it's one small defect to be added to the admittedly short list.

After listening to everybody, I think it's at least an 8.0, with a good shot at 8.5. Anyone want to throw a spanner in the works of that thinking?