• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What in the world is this??????

42 posts in this topic

No way? What makes you think that? I think he did.

Why write it if it wasn't true? What's he got to prove?... To anyone. The man is a huge success and I see a lot of undeserved hate towards him around here...

I saw the books before he was offered them, as did numerous NY dealers. The vast majority of them were filler books. In 1985, there was little demand for most of the stuff he had. Books like Tales of Suspense and Tales to Astonish were fifty cent books except for a very few keys.

There is simply no way he averaged $10 a book for them . None.

Most of the good stuff was picked over. There were next to no X-Men, and not all that many number ones. There were tens of thousands of Thor comics, one of the deadest of the various slow moving BA Marvels.

He spent a fortune buying double page spreads in Marvel Comics to sell these books for forty cents each. I believe his ads read one for 50 cent, a hundred books for $40.

Another store owner and myself bought about a 1,000 books from a CGC ad. I forget what we paid, but I remember putting most out for $2.

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/jvZHKIs33X7LxgNGbBix0g--/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9NTA3O3E9OTU7dz01NzY-/http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0896/milehighcomics.gif

The 50-cent comic sales Chuck had in the early 80s were not the same as the Mile High II ads that he started running later in the decade. From the minute he started selling them, he did so with premium prices.

I bought a ton of comics from him that were 35, 40 and 50 cents each; I didn't buy any of the Mile High II books, however.

I bought several of the MH II books through the mail order catalog. I think the most expensive one I bought was a Captain Marvel #33 that I paid $3.50 for, the rest were $2.00 or less.

I bought several of the MH II books through the mail order catalog. I think the most expensive one I bought was a Captain Marvel #33 that I paid $3.50 for, the rest were $2.00 or less.
Whoa, big spender.

Why write it if it wasn't true? What's he got to prove?... To anyone. The man is a huge success and I see a lot of undeserved hate towards him around here...

I saw the books before he was offered them, as did numerous NY dealers. The vast majority of them were filler books. In 1985, there was little demand for most of the stuff he had. Books like Tales of Suspense and Tales to Astonish were fifty cent books except for a very few keys.

Most of the good stuff was picked over. There were next to no X-Men, and not all that many number ones. There were tens of thousands of Thor comics, one of the deadest of the various slow moving BA Marvels.

He spent a fortune buying double page spreads in Marvel Comics to sell these books for forty cents each. I believe his ads read one for 50 cent, a hundred books for $40.

Another store owner and myself bought about a 1,000 books from a CGC ad. I forget what we paid, but I remember putting most out for $2.

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/jvZHKIs33X7LxgNGbBix0g--/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9NTA3O3E9OTU7dz01NzY-/http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0896/milehighcomics.gif

The 50-cent comic sales Chuck had in the early 80s were not the same as the Mile High II ads that he started running later in the decade. From the minute he started selling them, he did so with premium prices.

I bought a ton of comics from him that were 35, 40 and 50 cents each; I didn't buy any of the Mile High II books, however.

The ad in the link states these books are from his newest 1.7 million comic find- aka- Mile High 2. The early sales didn't include a MH2 COA, but they were from the collection. Basic math shows he couldn't possibly have averaged $10 a book for these.

When exactly was the article written? I have 2008 in my mind but I can't be bothered reading it all again to find out.

If that's true then, 23 years... I reckon he did it. Easily.

Why would he lie? What's there to gain from it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

shadroch, you say you saw them before they were bought. And the offer on the table at the time of Chuck buying was 85k from a consortium of NY dealers.... Begs the question then, were you one of that party? What's your story on that one?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Chuck should definitely write his autobiography, I'd love to know the full workings of this deal, and all the others too that made him who he is today. There's no doubt in my mind, this was the greatest deal in the history of comics.

Its nowhere close to the best deal in comic history. The original Mile Hile aka The Church Collection was much better . I'd say the Koch-Dolgorf- Koch purchase of Robert Bells stock was better. Not as as many books but much better quality. My favorite deal of all-time was a local guy who ran a demolition type company and was hired to clean out the contents of a warehouse in Brooklyn. In one room of the warehouse, he found the leftover stock of a major Brooklyn mail order company. Somewhere between 500,000 and a million lower grade books from 1947 to 1976. After getting a few low ball offers from dealers, he sold them himself on ebay and quit his day job. He drew the wrath of many a forumite- to the point where he started calling himself CGCKing or stuff like that. Guy made a point of not grading properly. He'd show pictures of a 4.0 book and claim it was a 9.5.

I was involved in a group of dealers who discussed buying the books. The discussions didn't go all that far because releasing that many books into the local NY market would have killed the hobby, not to mention that the books were stolen and no one knew what Marvel or the Distributors who got screwed would do, and the people selling the books were the scum of the earth. I have little doubt that had the books been sold to a local guy, the facility where they were stored would have been the victim of what New Yorkers refer to as Jewish Lightning.

This is a great book with a great cover and super high grade but what in the world is Mile High II?

I almost bid on it but as you can see no one else bid either! lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Comics-JUSTICE-LEAGUE-OF-AMERICA-138-CGC-9-6-NM-Mile-High-II-Pedigree-Adams-/161943329348?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=0J7ulBe9SWY%252F8alW8gVtJSE%252FUgI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

meh. I'm pretty happy with my $5 raw copy.

I have a dccp 26 mh2 (recently slabbed 9.4 under current harsher cgc regime) I purchase in Colorado along with a handful of other MH 2 books when they first came out around 1986 when I was in college. Can't believe I also passed on hulk 181's but they were passé. Every now and then I'll find another in the collection. Decent quality books and definitely unread. :-)

The entire hoard was unread and undistributed, but they were stored in less than ideal conditions. For many years, they sat in a truck warehouse that was neither air conditioned nor heated. The only thing protecting it from weather was a big blue tarp. The outer copies of every bundle were garbage.

One of the sons or nephews had been looting the books for years. He'd show up at the local shows with 50 copies of a book and sell a few to every dealer in the room. In another thread I told how he was trying to sell me about 100 books one show and I said I'd take them on consignment . He showed up at my store the very next day wanting the money for them.

I bought a few CGCed Mile High II copies directly from Chuck in the early 2000s. I paid somewhere in the $50 to $150 range for them. These are the ones I could identify fairly quickly.

Doctor Strange 171 CGC 9.2

Marvel Premiere 14 CGC 9.4

Strange Tales 143 CGC 9.6

Strange Tales 145 CGC 9.4

Strange Tales 154 CGC 9.4

Mike

Wow, I remember those ads, I think I probably bought 50 or 100 issues from those things. Didn't know those were MHII books.

Why write it if it wasn't true? What's he got to prove?... To anyone.

I have a feeling a lot of his inflated inventory value has to do with collateral he's borrowed against. If he says over and over again it's worth 15 million someone out there is going to believe it.

I bought a few CGCed Mile High II copies directly from Chuck in the early 2000s. I paid somewhere in the $50 to $150 range for them. These are the ones I could identify fairly quickly.

Doctor Strange 171 CGC 9.2

Marvel Premiere 14 CGC 9.4

Strange Tales 143 CGC 9.6

Strange Tales 145 CGC 9.4

Strange Tales 154 CGC 9.4

Mike

I bought a bunch of MH II raws in 1986/1987ish. I think they were supposedly NMish. Shipped about 10-15% of them back because they weren't, and one notable turd I kept was an FF 77 that I finally sold here after upgrading - the MH II copy was about a VF- or so.

One notable book that I ran across lately in my collection was a ST 135 in something like a 9.6 or better. That little jewel probably makes up for whatever grief was involved with returning overgraded books in the 80's. It is drippy sick in its perfection. :cloud9:

In retrospect, I wish I had devoted available cash at the time to buy more of these books. It was a time of incredibly stupid-low prices on Silver Age.