• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Isn't The Overstreet Guide Out Soon ?????

131 posts in this topic

Now just watch how little talk there will be about how not only is the Guide on time but earlier than ever. But if it came a second *later* than its scheduled release...fifty threads at least.

smile.gif

Arnold, with the new series coming out, you need to raise those Doctor Who Marvel comic book prices for 50 cents each to 55 cents. thumbsup2.gif

Ah, memories. Their non-fiction pieces were riddled with factual errors and designed with some of the worst pastel colors ever seen, but those comics were some of my first sources for learning about the show when I first discovered it. Between that and the Haining books, it's a wonder I could keep anything straight, but fortunately David Howe's books showed up. smile.gif

i bet it comes out before the scan of the blue background xmen 173 variant gets posted. just because i've lost all faith in the latter, and must now resort to spreading the news about it's lack of appearance

"I am usually referred to as the Master."

This came up between me and Ian and some others, and since I just passed 1,000 posts, I thought assuming the guise of the Master might be fun for a while. Just don't make me angry. smile.gif

So which forum member are you going to shrink first? smile.gif

Ian.... just xerox each cover and indicia page and type up a full list with all the copy that accompanies each Overstreet entry and send it to Arnold already. You cant just post a list of titles. They need proof that it really exists. Its a lot of work and maybe you dont want to do it... but Gemstone wont move ahead without the package of data and scans they are asking for.

It would be a bit prohibitive to send comp copies to every single person who ever sends in a correction or a suggestion.

Yes, I agree. And I wouldn't recommend that every single contributor of a correction or suggestion be given a "thank you" gift. But if someone sends you a number of corrections, additions, etc.... info you judge to be valuable... at some point you might consider making the call that a mere "thank you" alone is inadequate for that contributor.

it's not our responsibility to "motivate" you either beyond offering our thanks, which is meant sincerely for everything people do to improve the Guide.

If it's not your responsibility, maybe it should be. Don't you think that you should have the business sense to identify valuable contributors and do something to encourage them to continue to contribute? Again, your call, but I imagine that part of your job is to make the guide the best reference book that it can be, so perhaps that means that you *should* be motivating contributions. Perheps especially so considering you acknowledge in your note to Ian that there might be info that you just can't obtain without the help of contributors? Information that contributes to making your guide a reference work to be particularly valued by its readership?

Many collectors send in corrections every year, basically out of the goodness of their hearts, and we do our best to not only thank them for their contribution but to acknolwedge them in the Guide as well.

Yep, I did that. Up to a point. But the goodness of one's heart only goes so far when contributions go completely unacknowledged or, even worse, are apparently ignored and unused. At some point you start thinking to yourself... :moviequote: "Thank you sir, may I have another?" :moviequote:

And consider, you aren't the only comics reference book out there. Maybe out of the goodness of my heart I should send omitted info and corrections to Wizard? Or to CBG's Standard Catalog? Why should Overstreet be the recipient of my goodwill? Just because you'll be grateful? Wizard and CBG would probably be grateful too... maybe they'll be even more grateful! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

come on - what else are we supposed to do?

Waaaaay back when, near the dawn of time when I was but a kid, I pencilled a scribbly note to the publisher of a price guide to let them know that I had just read Amazing Spider-Man #20 and found that, although not noted in the guide, it contained the origin of The Scorpion! (Yes, that's my claim to fame - without my help, no one would ever have known what issue of ASM contained his origin! acclaim.gif) In return I received a postcard thanking me for my contribution. That kid thought that postcard was very cool. I still have that postcard tucked away inside one of my OPGs.

I never had a ton of info to provide, but over the years I did continue to send in a stray note or two, including photopies of indicia, etc. But I think that was the one and only time I ever received a thank you note. Do you ever do that anymore?

And here's a thought for a larger gesture... remember, you do have competition out there... Throw all the contributors' names in a hat, draw out a few names, and send out autographed hardcover editions of the guide?

Anway, back atcha with some line dancing bananas

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Now just watch how little talk there will be about how not only is the Guide on time but earlier than ever. But if it came a second *later* than its scheduled release...fifty threads at least.

smile.gif

Well, I just read the announcement. Sorry, some of us work 8-5. wink.gif

I said earlier I would be elated if it came out 4/13. So I am yay.gif that it's out next week!!! I still reference the 2004 guide daily, while in my "office". Unlike the sentiment of other board members, I am a HUGE fan of the guide. (Will be less of a fan if the Market Reports are only included in the Big, Big Guide.)

Only 1 more week to buy undervalued flippers!

"you might consider making the call that a mere "thank you" alone is inadequate for that contributor. "

We do indeed send out comp copies when the decision is made that it's warranted, and we send out lots of them. We have a very large network of advisors. But no, we can't send one to everybody.

"you might consider making the call that a mere "thank you" alone is inadequate for that contributor."

And that's why we do regularly cultivate new advisors and expand our network every single year with people who are very happy to participate and with whom we communicate regularly and have a wonderful working relationship. If you receive Scoop or read it, you'll see that we often have press releases welcoming new advisors into the fold and heralding their role in the big ongoing project. And we try to send comp copies to a lot of them when we can.

"Wizard and CBG would probably be grateful too... maybe they'll be even more grateful!"

Well now you're just being silly. Feel free, we're not forcing you, and we're not threatened by competitors either. smile.gif

And I think your bit about the thank you note and/or drawing is well taken and no, we don't do that every time, but yes, I've written many thank you letters and so have others in the office. Perhaps we should be more diligent about getting those out. And no we don't do drawings and it's a very nice idea. I'll mention it.

Now why would we cut the market reports out of the main annual Guide when that's one of the fundamental ingredients in the success of the book every single year? That's not going to happen.

As for the Big Big Book, we've never put the market reports in at all...before.