• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Return of Steve Rogers

37 posts in this topic

How many variant covers are they making and which ones will be the best?

Will there be a GwenCap?

Wait - if Gwen becomes Cap, then she'll be.... Capt. Stacy! :o

Captain Gwenmerica.

Captain AmeriGwen

Captain AGwenica

CapGwen America

Instead of always talking of "homages" why dont they just write good stories.

Because its much simpler to write garbage and bury it behind 46 different variant covers. Get with the times man, those of us who miss well written comics are all relics!

"All New Wolverine"? (Bleep) you Marvel!!!!!

I can't stand Sam Wilson...or is it the guy writing him I can't stand.

Nick Spencer is ridiculously political in his writing, which makes for a too-contemporary Captain America. And Cap, when written with too much of a "ripped from the headlines" feel, just comes across as preachy garbage. You might as well flip on MSNBC instead of reading the comic. It'll be the same thing Chris Matthews or any of their other commentators have to say.

Nick Spencer is ridiculously political in his writing, which makes for a too-contemporary Captain America. And Cap, when written with too much of a "ripped from the headlines" feel, just comes across as preachy garbage. You might as well flip on MSNBC instead of reading the comic. It'll be the same thing Chris Matthews or any of their other commentators have to say.

Could you give some examples of what you're talking about?

The issue #1 I read had Sam trying to stop a group from KILLING some Mexican's that were crossing the border. The Sons of the Serpent were spouting off explicitly racist stereotypes, and clearly meant to be seen as an extreme hate group criminals.

I was alarmed and surprised at people's response to it, in defending the bad guys.

I thought superhero's, regardless of ideology, stop murder.

And that racism was bad.

(shrug)

And that feeling that way didn't make me some lefty, pinko, commie.

Geez...

What else happened in the series, SPECIFICALLY, that would make you write what you did above?

The issue #1 I read had Sam trying to stop a group from KILLING some Mexican's that were crossing the border. The Sons of the Serpent were spouting off explicitly racist stereotypes, and clearly meant to be seen as an extreme hate group criminals.

I was alarmed and surprised at people's response to it, in defending the bad guys.

And that racism was bad.

(shrug)

Geez...

What else happened in the series, SPECIFICALLY, that would make you write what you did above?

I don't know if this is a legitimate question or an attempt to turn this into a political discussion. But I'll bite a little:

Because it's the exact caricature of anyone with a pro-border control view that MSNBC and other far-left political pundits make with regularly. He is also outspoken in his political views (is heavily involved with a lot of liberal political interest groups).

It's not like it takes a lot of critical thinking to see that a guy that is outspokenly political & subscribes to a similar belief system as those that routinely characterize those with a pro-border security view as ignorant racist xenophobes , would address border security (a currently popular topic of discussion in the media & politics) by making the only people that were pro border security as racist ignorant bigoted xenophobes. Come on here. He opted to address a political issue that has some significant nunance in the most ham-fisted, 1-sided, ridiculous way to make the only 2 options "racist dickbags" or "Captain America".

It's not like it takes a lot of critical thinking to see that a guy that is outspokenly political & subscribes to a similar belief system as those that routinely characterize those with a pro-border security view as ignorant racist xenophobes , would address border security (a currently popular topic of discussion in the media & politics) by making the only people that were pro border security as racist ignorant bigoted xenophobes. Come on here. He opted to address a political issue that has some significant nunance in the most ham-fisted, 1-sided, ridiculous way to make the only 2 options "racist dickbags" or "Captain America".

Which, since I am prone to believe you, makes this precisely how YOU SHOULDN’T write Captain America. The best writers in the late 1960s and 1970s (just as an example, quite "politicized" times as well) managed to pull great stories while not betraying Cap and his ideals, which should be above "partitism".

If you want to read good stories in this sense, one could go (re-)read Iron Man #45-46. :cloud9:

And that racism was bad.

(shrug)

Geez...

I don't know if this is a legitimate question or an attempt to turn this into a political discussion. But I'll bite a little:

Because it's the exact caricature of anyone with a pro-border control view that MSNBC and other far-left political pundits make with regularly. He is also outspoken in his political views (is heavily involved with a lot of liberal political interest groups).

MSNBC portrays the border patrol as murderers? Could you point me to some links of this? Some proof?

From someone who doesn't watch ANY political programs on tv or even the news, in any form other than occasionally someone saying, "Hey, David Bowie died", my take on the story was that Captain America was stopping some murdering racists. If you have proof, that's the way MSNBC is portraying them, I can understand it, where you're coming from.

But let's see the proof. If it's too political, you can just send me a private message link.

The Sons of the Serpent were NOT border control. They were a renegade band of murderers who were taking the law into their own hands and killing human beings crossing the border. Did you even read the story?

The message I got was, whatever your beliefs are, if you take the law into your own hands and MURDER other human beings, you are breaking the law, and these sworn to uphold the law will intervene. That's the America I believe in.

If you want to stand up for renegade racist murdering bands of goons, hey, have at it.

And strangely enough, it seems this is pretty consistent with the way the Sons of the Serpent's have been portrayed since the 60's:

CRuddMUUkAASeWw.jpg

Chuck, I think you're conflating Border Patrol (which is a law enforcement & quasi-military organization that was not in the book) with border control (the concept of controlling ones borders). I'm talking about pro-border control. As in "in favor of securing the border". Not pro-Border Patrol as in "I support these people doing their jobs"

On the rest of it? I'll reply when I'm not on my phone later.

Soooooo

Meanwhile...

Does this mean that the return of James Howlett as anything other than an 'old man' not too far behind ?

Marvel might as well resurrect him as a paraplegic tranny prostitute living in East St. Louis, they've already wrecked the Wolverine title for me and a whole lot of others.

And, my apologies to paraplegic tranny prostitutes and residents of East St. Louis for associating you to the tragically awful comic blunder that was the "death" of Wolverine.

Chuck, I think you're conflating Border Patrol (which is a law enforcement & quasi-military organization that was not in the book) with border control (the concept of controlling ones borders). I'm talking about pro-border control. As in "in favor of securing the border". Not pro-Border Patrol as in "I support these people doing their jobs"

On the rest of it? I'll reply when I'm not on my phone later.

Neither of them am I in favor of being overly racist and using murder of otherwise innocents as a tactic of securing the border. If you see that differently, then we disagree.