• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is Marvel going to replace next?

115 posts in this topic

It's really all guesswork, but I would not say that readership is "down" since the new genre of successful movie and TV properties.

The question is, are the movies bringing in new readers? Can we say yes to that? Not so sure

Not new readers,but new fans.

What`s more important?

70,000 people reading Avengers or Avengers doing over 1 billion at the box office?

60,000 people reading Snyder`s Batman or 4 million people buying the Batman video game about Arkham Asylum?

20,000 readers reading Green Arrow or millions watching Arrow?

Marvel and DC are now entertainment companies first,than comic book companies second.

The game has changed and there is no going back.

:preach:

Yes, but we're talking about readership here. Are movies bringing in new readers? I don't think so. ygogolak seems to think the movies are bringing in new readers, despite low print runs.

I don't know how much it is counteracting an existing drop in readership but the movies are definitely bringing in significant numbers of new readers. A large amount of the people I'm selling comics to are new entrants into the hobby that have followed in from movie or television adaptations.

It's really all guesswork, but I would not say that readership is "down" since the new genre of successful movie and TV properties.

The question is, are the movies bringing in new readers? Can we say yes to that? Not so sure

What`s more important?

70,000 people reading Avengers or Avengers doing over 1 billion at the box office?

60,000 people reading Snyder`s Batman or 4 million people buying the Batman video game about Arkham Asylum?

Marvel and DC are now entertainment companies first,than comic book companies second.

I was just about to make this point!

Marvel/DC aren't interested in readers, they are interested in IP management.

The spread of their IP in tv, movies, games means they sell more toys, bedsheets and t-shirts, or more accurately they sell huge licensing fees to manufacturing companies who make those things, that's where the money is. When they are pitching the licensing sale I bet comic book sales numbers come up ZERO times....

The books in your signature line are spectacular!

What`s more important?

Yes, but we're talking about readership here. Are movies bringing in new readers? I don't think so. ygogolak seems to think the movies are bringing in new readers, despite low print runs.

I don't know how much it is counteracting an existing drop in readership but the movies are definitely bringing in significant numbers of new readers. A large amount of the people I'm selling comics to are new entrants into the hobby that have followed in from movie or television adaptations.

Glad some retailers are seeing that. Or is that for secondary market books? I have heard dealers say they've seen an increase in people talking about the movie and buying books related to it, but that would be new collectors and not necessarily new readers. New sales are always welcome of course.

But, in the U.S., the Diamond numbers don't bear out an increase in new readers OR new sales for current books on the characters.

In January 2012, a few month before the Avengers movie, we see:

#15 Avengers X-sanction #2 58,000

#18 Avengers #21 54,000

#22 New Avengers #20 52,000

Extremely mediocre numbers

In August of 2012, just after the success of the movie, we had brisk sales of the Avengers vs X-Men, which sold in the range it normally would (150,000+ copies), but the regular titles:

#18 Avengers #29 61,000

#23 New Avengers #29 59,000

A slight, hardly noticeable bump.

A reboot of the series called 'Uncanny Avengers' and 'New Avengers' led to some big orders from retailers and even some sales... but did it bring in new readers?

Oct 2012

#1 Uncanny Avengers #1 303,000

January 2013

#4 New Avengers #1 104,000

Within a year:

January 2014

#9 Avengers #25 65,000

#19 Uncanny Avengers #16 54,000

#21 Avengers World #2 53,000

Right back to where it was before....

And even now, after two of the biggest Superhero movies of all time, the numbers are the same if not worse! And this is just after the sales spike of a reboot on all three of these!

#23 ANAD Avengers #2 67,000

#38 Uncanny Avengers #3 53,000

#67 New Avengers #4 36,000

I just don't see anything that makes me think 'readership' has been increased because of the movies.

I still believe that readership of NON-Marvel titles has increased, but Im not sure the Marvel movies has anything to do with that.

What I DO see is more people TALKING about the movies, but I just don't see the numbers that equates that as new 'readers' of the new releases.

Marvel/DC aren't interested in readers, they are interested in IP management.

The spread of their IP in tv, movies, games means they sell more toys, bedsheets and t-shirts, or more accurately they sell huge licensing fees to manufacturing companies who make those things, that's where the money is. When they are pitching the licensing sale I bet comic book sales numbers come up ZERO times....

The books in your signature line are spectacular!

thanks! that reminds me, time to update the sig line...

If some new reader who watched the Avengers movie walked in to a comic book shop and picked a book off the rack right now they would probably be utterly confused. I'm not even sure if any of the characters from the movie are even in a team book right now. I don't think Marvel gives a damn about the comic line anymore.

I just don't see anything that makes me think 'readership' has been increased because of the movies.

I still believe that readership of NON-Marvel titles has increased, but I'm not sure the Marvel movies has anything to do with that.

What I DO see is more people TALKING about the movies, but I just don't see the numbers that equates that as new 'readers' of the new releases.

I agree.

I don't doubt that the movies and TV shows have brought in some new readers. However, it sure doesn't seem like too many.

if someone wanted to argue that movie success increased readership they should look at trade sales, not floppy sales.

Every dealer I know redirects new readers (or potentially one-off readers) to their TPB/GN shelves and to a good jumping on point tpb.

If some new reader who watched the Avengers movie walked in to a comic book shop and picked a book off the rack right now they would probably be utterly confused. I'm not even sure if any of the characters from the movie are even in a team book right now. I don't think Marvel gives a damn about the comic line anymore.

(shrug) I disagree, when the Avengers movie came out Marvel created a new title with Hulk and the rest of the movie line up in it.

Cover_of_Avengers_Assemble_1.jpg

Should the rest of the Avengers comics changed to "fit" whatever was in the movie? Nope.

:sumo:

if someone wanted to argue that movie success increased readership they should look at trade sales, not floppy sales.

Every dealer I know redirects new readers (or potentially one-off readers) to their TPB/GN shelves and to a good jumping on point tpb.

Image Comics was easily Diamond Distribution's best selling Publisher in 2014 and 2015 for GN/TPB's. They dominated the Top 100.

Image Comics was easily Diamond Distribution's best selling Publisher in 2014 and 2015 for GN/TPB's. They dominated the Top 100.

makes sense, they have far and away the best collected editions department.

-their stories are typically best read in trade format

-the first TPB of most titles is typically cheap ($9.99)

-their releases are like clockwork (TPB of the prior arc usually solicited with the first issue of the new arc)

What`s more important?

As a multi-media corporation you should want all formats to sell to their greatest potential.

The Avengers comics bring in roughly a million and half dollars a year just in publishing. They have consistently sold for over 50 years. It's because of that exposure there is a movie.

Fans are fleeting. Readers, if properly cultivated, will be there for the long run.

so we've seen Captain America, Thor, Wolverine, and the Hulk get replaced by other characters recently in the comic books

Also Spider-man and Iron Man have been replaced in the past.

my question is who's going to be replaced next and by who?

hm

whoever is the next random white dude to wear a pair of tights.

I'd replace old male readers stuck in the past with a new contemporary readership.

Ah, nothing like loyalty to customers that helped make you what you are. :cloud9:

What exactly is this supposed to mean? This isn't something like Coke/New Coke, where you expect the same exact product every time you pay for it. It's a creative field. I'd say it's a disservice to loyal fans to keep throwing the same type of story at them. Keep it fresh by playing with the concept, I say.

Well said :applause:

Has anyone actually been reading the latest incarnation of Amazing Spider-man?

I am reading it just to challenge myself in seeing if I can get through something that is as bad as it is. I do not blame Slott for this. I think that Slott does the best he can with what he has been given.

What a mess.

Modern superhero comics, at least the majority published by DC and Marvel, are generally terrible - just so poorly written you have to wonder if quality control even exists.

For most of the Marvel & DC movies that I have seen in the cinema, which is probably all of them, the audience has tended to be 20+ and over - that demographic isn't suddenly going to start reading comics just because they like a movie they have just seen.

Has anyone actually been reading the latest incarnation of Amazing Spider-man?

I am reading it just to challenge myself in seeing if I can get through something that is as bad as it is. I do not blame Slott for this. I think that Slott does the best he can with what he has been given.

What a mess.

Modern superhero comics, at least the majority published by DC and Marvel, are generally terrible - just so poorly written you have to wonder if quality control even exists.

Depends on the direction that they are taking the characters...

I just finished reading up to issue 14 of the Slott Allred Silver Surfer run and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

Guardians of the Galaxy also come to mind. The banter between characters throughout the Guardians of the Galaxy has also been enjoyable... (I didn't say high intellect reading- I mean enjoyable.)

Fans are fleeting. Readers, if properly cultivated, will be there for the long run.

Star Wars fans are laughing at this statement, as is Disney... well once they are done counting their billions they'll laugh...

If anyone saw that thread with Marvel discussing their summer plans, Joe Quesada mentioned that Marvel comic summer crossovers were the blueprint for the movies as we have already seen those stories get adapted for the big screen.

I suspect some of the decisions are tests to see what future characters we will see in the movies etc.

What`s more important?

Now you are just flat out misquoting me.