• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is Marvel going to replace next?

115 posts in this topic

so we've seen Captain America, Thor, Wolverine, and the Hulk get replaced by other characters recently in the comic books

Also Spider-man and Iron Man have been replaced in the past.

my question is who's going to be replaced next and by who?

hm

I remember when Marvel did this in the 1980s. Just like now, it was a conscious effort to replace several of the main heroes with a new personality: Eric Masterson - Thor - became Thunderstrike, John Walker - Captain America - became U.S. Agent, and James Rhodey - Iron Man - became War Machine. I cannot remember if there was a 4th character that participated in this or not.

Ultimate, the main character came back and these substitute heroes received new codenames. I suspect this will be true for the heroes being replaced now in the MU. It is a clever way to get creators to create new characters for your universe. :grin:

It's really all guesswork, but I would not say that readership is "down" since the new genre of successful movie and TV properties.

The question is, are the movies bringing in new readers? Can we say yes to that? Not so sure

I'd replace old male readers stuck in the past with a new contemporary readership.

I'd replace endless reboots and deaths/rebirths with history and continuity.

50, 60, 70 years of continuity - nobody can remember all of that stuff. Publishers don't care and writers don't want to be hampered by something that happened decades ago.

That's just lazy

I'd replace old male readers stuck in the past with a new contemporary readership.

I'd replace endless reboots and deaths/rebirths with history and continuity.

50, 60, 70 years of continuity - nobody can remember all of that stuff. Publishers don't care and writers don't want to be hampered by something that happened decades ago.

That's just lazy

Natural selection.

Shrinking readership?

Has there been a turn around? Last I knew print runs were miniscule compared to high points. Is electronic readership making up the difference?

No its the hundreds of thousands of cosplayers that some people seem to think exist that are keeping comic sales steady. Even on the secondary market!

It's really all guesswork, but I would not say that readership is "down" since the new genre of successful movie and TV properties.

The question is, are the movies bringing in new readers? Can we say yes to that? Not so sure

The readership we're seeing for comics is growing in titles that AREN'T being made into movies (well.... Walking Dead has a TV show). The numbers are pretty specific.

The top downloads at comixology looks almost the same as the Diamond top gn/tpb list (except it includes individual issues of the same titles).

Readership is growing AWAY from mainstream superhero titles.

Which means we'll see even more gimmicks and tricks from the Big 2 over the next few years.

Shrinking readership?

Has there been a turn around? Last I knew print runs were miniscule compared to high points. Is electronic readership making up the difference?

No its the hundreds of thousands of cosplayers that some people seem to think exist that are keeping comic sales steady. Even on the secondary market!

:roflmao:

Not new readers,but new fans.

What`s more important?

70,000 people reading Avengers or Avengers doing over 1 billion at the box office?

60,000 people reading Snyder`s Batman or 4 million people buying the Batman video game about Arkham Asylum?

20,000 readers reading Green Arrow or millions watching Arrow?

Marvel and DC are now entertainment companies first,than comic book companies second.

The game has changed and there is no going back.

:preach:

What`s more important?

70,000 people reading Avengers or Avengers doing over 1 billion at the box office?

60,000 people reading Snyder`s Batman or 4 million people buying the Batman video game about Arkham Asylum?

Marvel and DC are now entertainment companies first,than comic book companies second.

Yes, but we're talking about readership here. Are movies bringing in new readers? I don't think so. ygogolak seems to think the movies are bringing in new readers, despite low print runs.

Ah, nothing like loyalty to customers that helped make you what you are. :cloud9:

What exactly is this supposed to mean? This isn't something like Coke/New Coke, where you expect the same exact product every time you pay for it. It's a creative field. I'd say it's a disservice to loyal fans to keep throwing the same type of story at them. Keep it fresh by playing with the concept, I say.

Has anyone actually been reading the latest incarnation of Amazing Spider-man?

I am reading it just to challenge myself in seeing if I can get through something that is as bad as it is. I do not blame Slott for this. I think that Slott does the best he can with what he has been given.

What a mess.

What`s more important?

I was just about to make this point!

Marvel/DC aren't interested in readers, they are interested in IP management.

The spread of their IP in tv, movies, games means they sell more toys, bedsheets and t-shirts, or more accurately they sell huge licensing fees to manufacturing companies who make those things, that's where the money is. When they are pitching the licensing sale I bet comic book sales numbers come up ZERO times....

Edited by Miraclemet