• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is Marvel going to replace next?

115 posts in this topic

so we've seen Captain America, Thor, Wolverine, and the Hulk get replaced by other characters recently in the comic books

Also Spider-man and Iron Man have been replaced in the past.

my question is who's going to be replaced next and by who?

hm

so we've seen Captain America, Thor, Wolverine, and the Hulk get replaced by other characters recently in the comic books

Also Spider-man and Iron Man have been replaced in the past.

my question is who's going to be replaced next and by who?

hm

Interesting.

These are all titles I used to collect, and now I don't.

So here is my theory on these changes:

In the 40s, 50s, 60s, and into the 70s, the average comic book reader only collected/bought comics for a few years. Sure, there were always those who were bigger fans (we were the exceptions, not the rule), but for the most part, you started with Superman at 9, went to Spider-Man at 11, and were out of comics by 14.

So change wasn't necessary because you constantly had new people coming and going into the hobby. Peter Parker being Spider-Man for 25 years with no real changes wasn't that big of a deal.

Now, however, the guy who starts reading comics at 16 (because they sure as hell aren't starting at 9) may read for 10 years or more. So they need new, new, new. New series. New replacement characters. New everything. It's how Marvel and DC think they can retain readers through the rest of their lives.

In the 40s, 50s, 60s, and into the 70s, the average comic book reader only collected/bought comics for a few years. Sure, there were always those who were bigger fans (we were the exceptions, not the rule), but for the most part, you started with Superman at 9, went to Spider-Man at 11, and were out of comics by 14.

So change wasn't necessary because you constantly had new people coming and going into the hobby. Peter Parker being Spider-Man for 25 years with no real changes wasn't that big of a deal.

Now, however, the guy who starts reading comics at 16 (because they sure as hell aren't starting at 9) may read for 10 years or more. So they need new, new, new. New series. New replacement characters. New everything. It's how Marvel and DC think they can retain readers through the rest of their lives.

that's not the point of this thread. Take your logic somewhere else :makepoint:

Eventually everyone, and then back again, and then as a minority figure, and then a woman, and then both....

And then as an alien and then as an amphibian, and then as an alternate reality transgender clone with club feet and astigmatism.

I'd suggest that the FF be replaced by Ghost Rider, Hulk, Spider Man and Wolverine, but that would obviously be absurd.

They will be replaced by Fighting American, Hit Girl, Rick Grimes, and Brother Power The Geek.

that's not the point of this thread. Take your logic somewhere else :makepoint:

MY theory is that, they used to make changes that lasted one issue (Jimmy Olsen becomes a Fish-man, Peter Parker quits, etc.), and then it became a two-part story and then a story arc, and now a full year. More issue, more sales.