• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Vintage Pack: All 15 books on ebay, some are the only graded copies

18 posts in this topic

Nice Books thumbsup2.gif

Hey thanks!

I'm starting to worry that people don't realize that these are reprints even though I mention that they are in the description. Not only do I state it, the scan of the CGC label says reprint twice and that it is a 1994 issue.

Should be interesting.

I think your buyers don't realize what they are bidding on. You do make it quite clear in your listing but I think you are calling to hear some calls for refunds when you ship.

Don't know what else you could do to tell them they are REPRINTS as it is cleary stated several times,but people see what they want to see.

I think your buyers don't realize what they are bidding on. You do make it quite clear in your listing but I think you are calling to hear some calls for refunds when you ship.

Don't know what else you could do to tell them they are REPRINTS as it is cleary stated several times,but people see what they want to see.

It seems most of the bidders went back and actually READ the description. I've literally had like 9 bid retractions. I still think these books are cool and unique even with their reprint status. I know there can't be many around. I guess If you like novelty items...

They know now.

This would be over $1000 by now if they didn't.

grin.gif

These MVP's are quite hard to come by IMO. Although listed as simple reprints in the OS I haven't seen many out there. I have the TOD and X-Men 28 & 63 but haven't been able to come by any of the others. Oh yeah, BUMP!

Thanks for the bump!

I wish there was more info out there about this set, why Marvel choose the books they did, how many sets were printed etc. There is a seller currently selling a few raw books from the set, but other than those and the complete set I'm selling now, I've never seen them offered before.

There is a seller currently selling a few raw books from the set, but other than those and the complete set I'm selling now, I've never seen them offered before.

I see them ALL the time, as part of scam-artist's attempts to sell "old comic lots". These reprint books are always at the top of the stack, and if I chose to, I could have bought a few hundred of them by now.

I see them ALL the time, as part of scam-artist's attempts to sell "old comic lots". These reprint books are always at the top of the stack, and if I chose to, I could have bought a few hundred of them by now.

That's very helpful. Thanks.

Man, I haven't seen these since I worked on them!

Back in the early 1990s, I was working at a place in Buffalo called AMERICAN COLOR. We did pre-press for a lot of big companies, including all the color seps for ALL the Sunday funnies in the country. Some even overseas.

So we got to handle all the original art for strips like Bloom County, Calvin and Hobbes, Peanuts, etc.

My account was the Marvel Comics account.

So that was nice in the sense that I was liason for Marvel and my company, and got to handle the artwork, deal with the editors and the like.

Went out drinking with the Marvel folks on many occassions....one of the ONLY perks in my job.

At any rate, we started getting the orig. film from these old comics one day, and were asked to start reprinting them for these MVP packs.

It was neat to handle the old negs, generate new proofs and new books for these classics.

I never did get to see the finished printed copies of these runs, I can't recall why.

Just never got them in our sample packs.

But I remember working on this project, cutting and re-stripping the film and the like.

Wish I had some now!

-Rich-

So were these particular books picked at random for the packs? There were a few unlikely choices (the Young Men 25, for example). D'you recall any conversations re the project? Any idea why there was no mention of these books being reprints on the front covers?

Since they were sold in a package as a set,I guess they didn't see the need to mark each book individually.

I see them fairly often. I have an almost complete set that I've paid about ten dollars apiece for. This and the German 1998 reprints of key Marvels make great display items.

There was no conversations, no rhyme or reason as to why they picked the books they did to reprint.

By the way, FYI...if anyone is interested, I've got some proofs from some of the Marvel books I wouldn't mind getting rid of, either cash or trade.

These are 3M acetate proofs, now obsolete in the print industry.

What you should know is, they are kind of like animation cells, and layered in 4, as in the 4 colors of printing.

There are typically only one set produced per. book, and when the book prints, they get thrown away. Literally.

I salvaged several from the trash back in the day.

I've got a few spidey and x-men left, not much.

Also some from a painted book they did called CODE OF HONOR---various other proofs like Venom and the like.

There was no conversations, no rhyme or reason as to why they picked the books they did to reprint.

By the way, FYI...if anyone is interested, I've got some proofs from some of the Marvel books I wouldn't mind getting rid of, either cash or trade.

These are 3M acetate proofs, now obsolete in the print industry.

What you should know is, they are kind of like animation cells, and layered in 4, as in the 4 colors of printing.

There are typically only one set produced per. book, and when the book prints, they get thrown away. Literally.

I salvaged several from the trash back in the day.

I've got a few spidey and x-men left, not much.

Also some from a painted book they did called CODE OF HONOR---various other proofs like Venom and the like.

Mind posting some scans?

Thnx

Ae-