• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cardboard is cut, I'm ready to get back in

54 posts in this topic

Wow - nice pictorial! I too like the concept of FREE and that is why I needed the Box Sizer.

Question for towards2112 - when you sell your large lots, it appears from your description that you do not use boards (perhaps not even individual bags?) - do your buyers ever comment that they were expecting Bags and Boards? I have a 20K piece collection to move with long runs and will be selling large lots. I want to avoid bag/boards for all and am thinking 2 comics per bag and board but would even avoid that if I thought I could get away with it....

I remove the boards from all of those lots. The 100 comics and bags weigh

roughly 18 lbs. and I pay for shipping. @ 35 cents per, no I'm not going to

ship boards for free. And there are indeed NM books. I finally have my wife

Bobbie trained not to be too rough on the books when she helps me pull

boards.

And Bill, we shoot them if they touch campaign signs down here. Hence while

I stock pile them after the elections. Had a local chain of department stores

by the name of Weiners go out of business in the 90's. They had thousands

of those plastic signs behind there stores. I cut those and used them for

padding, and still use them for title dividers.

Very interesting post towards2112 - Is that an 18 inch paper cutter?

the reason I asked about how he was cutting his cardboard was simply because I am considering picking up a paper cutter specifically for the cardboard I use to sandwich comics, magazines, and Vinyl LPs. I use a utility knife currently and the results are not always uniform. But based on what he said- I decided to start using a metal yard stick I have to help guide the blade-- that alone might be enough to hold me off from getting the paper cutter device.

I can imagine there are plenty of us who hoard cardboard. Ever since jumping on the eBay train, I have been collecting empty boxes and shipping supplies to re-use. Initially-- I would grab extra boxes on a trip to Walmart but I have a great source in my sister in law who seems to buy tons of stuff on amazon weekly. So I get a load of boxes from them at least once a week. And I have a stockpile of larger boxes from my last move as a cardboard reserve so to speak.

Very interesting post towards2112 - Is that an 18 inch paper cutter?

the reason I asked about how he was cutting his cardboard was simply because I am considering picking up a paper cutter specifically for the cardboard I use to sandwich comics, magazines, and Vinyl LPs. I use a utility knife currently and the results are not always uniform. But based on what he said- I decided to start using a metal yard stick I have to help guide the blade-- that alone might be enough to hold me off from getting the paper cutter device.

I can imagine there are plenty of us who hoard cardboard. Ever since jumping on the eBay train, I have been collecting empty boxes and shipping supplies to re-use. Initially-- I would grab extra boxes on a trip to Walmart but I have a great source in my sister in law who seems to buy tons of stuff on amazon weekly. So I get a load of boxes from them at least once a week. And I have a stockpile of larger boxes from my last move as a cardboard reserve so to speak.

The one pictured is a Boston 2612, 12 inch. I believe there is an 18 inch that

might suit your purpose for LP. I did have a 32 incher , quite the antique,

but was offered big bucks and sold it. I still use a utility knife to make my

own box/sleeves to ship newspapers.

The one pictured is a Boston 2612, 12 inch. I believe there is an 18 inch that

might suit your purpose for LP. I did have a 32 incher , quite the antique,

but was offered big bucks and sold it. I still use a utility knife to make my

own box/sleeves to ship newspapers.

That's a great paper-cutter.

My only problem with it is that I'd still need to do a lot of box-cutter work just to cut the large boxes I get down to size small enough to fit in a cutter like that.

If I had a 32" cutter, it still might not be big enough but even if it was, I'd have no place to put it! :cool:

After using a box knife, and a few bloody cuts, and then buying the Uline

pieces of cardboard, I decided to make my own. Actually my son did. He

watched me make a few, commented on doing the same thing at school,

and after a little finesse, I was paying him a penny a piece for a completed

piece. Now I can whip out 100 or so in about 30 minutes of cutting and

gluing. This is a laminate of corregated 200 lb cardboard piece 3 and sometimes

4 layers thick. All depends on the FREE cardboard boxes available. I buy

bottles of Elmers School Glue when the dollar store has them, but did buy

a gallon of Elmers Wood Glue when I had some kitchen repairs to do.

cardboard1600.jpg

I cut pieces 11" X 8 " and this seems to fit both the USPS Flat Rate Legal

Envelope quite well, and makes a perfect fit on the USPS Medium Flat Rate

Box. FIRST I cut up the FREE cardboard I scavenge from around the

neighborhood. I live in the big city, but still make friends that save things for

me, the owner of the Menchie Ice Cream parlor keeps me covered with boxes

for my 100 ct Ebay lots, and the Manager of the Big Lots has his people keep

the appliance boxes and such saved up for me. The lady that runs the shoe

palace doesn't know it much, but she supplies me with mylar bags and

polypro bags that are FREE and usually hold at least 50 comics each. The

mylar filmed ones are sometimes crinkled up, but I am resourceful. Bless her

for keeping the dumpster area clean.

cardboard2600.jpg

This CUTE little trimmer I've had for 30 years or more. One of the first birthday

presents my wife bought me just after we got married. I used to make my own

postage stamp boursers books back in the 1980's. Another story for another day.

Only sharpened it once. It will cut 250 lb material easily, will trim golden age

backing boards to current size, usually 3 at a time. I started only using

silverage bags about 20 years ago, and having a case or so of golden age or

magazine bags sitting around was just silly.

cardboard3600.jpg

One of the nice things about making my own, is that it is VERY cost effective,

and I control the quality of the finished product. Sounds goofy worrying about

a piece of cardboard, but that goofy thing will safely protect my difficult to

find customers product. Clean cardboard, and counterstacking it like plywood,

and a few well chosen smears of glue in the future.

cardboard4600.jpg

I have one of the family's old ranch houses that I use for my warehouse now.

I moved my comic book inventory into it a few months back. Nice thing is that

the rest of the family has never wanted the house, but it was the place I was

born. Now I have my best times there, putting comic book orders together.

cardboard5600.jpg

Not fish slapping anyone else, but my finished product is better, both quality

wise, and security wise, and cost me just a few cents apiece. Paper trimmer

was about $ 30, thirty or so years ago, glue is a buck or so a bottle, lasts

through about 500 individual cut sheets, and the cardboard is gratis.

Time invested is about an hour all together sans the gathering of the raw

materials.

Next month I'll tell you about all the fun I have with the plastic political signs that

are so prevalent throughout my neighborhood. These make GREAT packing

material.

cardboard6600.jpg

Thank you for this. You have caused me to rethink how I have been doing tit for years. I will look around for one locally and try it out. I am tired of cutting it myself and I am too cheap to buy them and they are not cost efficient enough.

I should be cutting cardboard today given that I have 2 feet of snow outside my house, but various ways of drinking vodka have gotten in the way of being productive.

Oh, umm.... given your track record with xacto blades to the chest - you, a paper-cutter like towards has and vodka equals severed fingers for sure!

:o

j/k :cool:

I have the same paper cutter and an even larger one than that. I found them at yard sales.

I, also, glue cardboard pieces together and let them dry under heavy books. My finished boards are around 1/4-1/3" in thickness and then if there is enough room for more cardboard I put more in.

I have the same paper cutter and an even larger one than that. I found them at yard sales.

I, also, glue cardboard pieces together and let them dry under heavy books. My finished boards are around 1/4-1/3" in thickness and then if there is enough room for more cardboard I put more in.

:applause:

For now here is where I buy my cardboard. The cost for you will depend on distance form the shipper. For me to buy 300 pieces it cost $20 for shipping but when I buy 600 pieces the shipping is $27 and that makes them 6.5 cents each.

Very Sturdy Cardboard

In spare time I will cut some boxes up but at this price I find them hard to beat.

For now here is where I buy my cardboard. The cost for you will depend on distance form the shipper. For me to buy 300 pieces it cost $20 for shipping but when I buy 600 pieces the shipping is $27 and that makes them 6.5 cents each.

Very Sturdy Cardboard

In spare time I will cut some boxes up but at this price I find them hard to beat.

Not a horrible price, but a little to small for the edge / corner protection that I like to have for piece of mind.

Very Sturdy Cardboard

Not a horrible price, but a little to small for the edge / corner protection that I like to have for piece of mind.

There's no way I can make this Math work out.

If one buys 600 pieces at $33per 300, that's $66 for the cardboard and combined shipping adds another $27.

That totals $93 for 600 pieces shipped or 15.5 cents per piece. Where does the 6.5 cents come from? ???

Very Sturdy Cardboard

There's no way I can make this Math work out.

If one buys 600 pieces at $33per 300, that's $66 for the cardboard and combined shipping adds another $27.

That totals $93 for 600 pieces shipped or 15.5 cents per piece. Where does the 6.5 cents come from? ???

(shrug)

Math be hard....