• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quarterfinals #2: Giant Sized X-Men #1 vs. Action #583 & Superman #423

Giant Sized X-Men #1 vs. Action #583 & Superman #423  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Giant Sized X-Men #1 vs. Action #583 & Superman #423

94 posts in this topic

So when the results don't meet your expectations,you change the methods to get the results you expect?

Here is something that should help illustrate what is going on here:

Watchmen, arguably Moore's finest work was in the other Quarter-Final round and received 46 votes. beating its competitor 46-21.

In this round Moore's Supes received 64 votes and beat GSXM 1 by a count of 64-45. There were almost as many Moore votes (64 v.s 67) as ENTIRE votes on the Watchmen QF.

Do the math.

All I can say is, I am going to be doing it the PM way. makepoint.gif This way, it is more fair, AND it can still be a surprise for everyone, except for me.

Well all I can say is it really bums me out that people just cannot be themselves.. why everyone does not care enough about the other guy to respect whatever it is they are trying to do.. and either leave it alone if they have nothing good to say.. or cast their vote in the manner it was requested... is a shame.

Color me old fashioned.. but why.... for the love of pete... cannot everyone here be held accountable for their actions is beyond me.( I for one wish everyone who joined this forum had to provide enough personal information to avoid easily made shill accnts.)

It should be a privalige to be here.. not a right.

Trust me.. I know better then to think that will EVER happen here.. or anywhere else online... but that does not mean it does not still bother me.

Do what you gotta do AlexH.

I personally have not voted in all your polls... nor do I really care all that much.

It is a fun read, and I am interested to actually see what my peers thought was the best of the best. But under the current system.. it is just not an accurate result.

So create a new set of Homeland Security rules for the next round, and see if you get a decent response.

Dont let the bad apples bother ya... if ya quit.. then they win.

Kenny

All I can say is...

What's the point?

Since you believe there was an issue with the voting on this thread

the only real way to make this solid at all is have a voter registration

(where the total number allowed to participate is an odd number-

so there wouldn't be any ties) and a sign in process to cast the votes.

But to be SO technical on such a laid back thread is just overbearing.

I mean who knows the coinees could of come over here and shilled the place up

just to see us whine like little girls...

I say no other thread in thi series has 109 total votes, thus this has been altered,

which reguardless of who you voted for, makes the integrity of this thread stained and

basically worthless.

UGH!

tongue.gif

All I can say is, I am going to be doing it the PM way. makepoint.gif This way, it is more fair, AND it can still be a surprise for everyone, except for me.

I heard you the first time...

Now All I can say is...

sleeping.gif

all I can say is its sour grapes for people who wanted X-men to win

Hah! You gonna beat that sour grapes horse to death aren't you chief!

Whatever man, an opinion is like an a-hole everybody has one.

The last thing I's like to add is when this is all over congradualate yourself for voting the best shilled comic/comics out there.

For those that want to continue on with this farce, more power to ya!

L8TR!

hi.gif

And the winner is:

Action #583 & Superman #423

64 59%

Giant Sized X-Men #1

45 41%

893whatthe.gif

I will no longer be participating in this contest, as it is clear it is 1) being rigged and 2) people are pumping Moore through shills. To have Action 583/Superman 423 beat GS X-Men 1, one of the top-10 important books in the history of the medium is ludicrous at best, and suspect at worst. Thanks to Alex for running a fun contest, but this is just stupid.

So,what do people think happned here?

There was no sudden flood of new members joining,so do you think it was one member with some fifty shills,or a conspiricy of ten members with five shills each? Why are you assuming the earlier rounds were legit?

If there is some out there with close to fifty shills,then any and every poll anyone tries is suspect,no?

Perhaps there should be public voting and only by members with a certain number of posts. Accepting PMs doesn't stop a shill from voting.

Didn't we establish that with the right knowledge on how to empty your browser's cache the same user could repeatedly vote...

So it could be one member voting 50 times... why everyone would go through the trouble of doing this again and again is lost on me.

Everybody already knows Watchmen will win, so there's just no use rigging the other Moore match-ups.

Of course I now expect someone to shill-up which ever book comes head to head against Watchmen in the final. Would be interesting if both books would get 100+ votes 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How does a Action book which guides for no more than maybe $10 beat out Giant Size X-Men #1???? I think clearly we just have a bunch of X-Haters here.

I'm not an X-hater, but I don't think GS1 is a particularly good book...lots of better Xmen books came out a year later. So I would probably not have voted for this issue.

But it was up against the two Alan Moore Superman books, and as much as I like Moore, I can't stand Superman, so I voted for GS1...the better of the worst so to speak poke2.gif

Yeah, I think with 64 votes registered for the winner, a lot of shilling must have been going on unless we get several more of us to step up and declare that's how we voted. I haven't done a count, but so far it can't be more than a half-dozen of us to publicly claim our choice for the Superman 2-parter.

But I'm baffled why the result is so incomprehensible apart from the 64 votes as suspected shills. The $10 book value thing only matters if you're choosing to vote based on the collectibility of the book, and AlexH left it up to us to choose the criteria for voting. And the GSXM as a "Top 10" book? Whose Top 10 list are we talking about? Based on what?

But I do agree with the sentiment that the poll becomes a joke unless we have 64 different people giving reasons (whatever they were) for voting for the eventual "winner" the way they did.

How does a Action book which guides for no more than maybe $10 beat out Giant Size X-Men #1???? I think clearly we just have a bunch of X-Haters here.

I didn't vote, but if I were to vote on historical significance, GSXM would get my vote. If it were judged on the value of collecting, X would have won. If it were judged on story and art, Supes all the way. Maybe instead of having such an open criteria of judging, it should be narrowed in the future?

Maybe instead of having such an open criteria of judging, it should be narrowed in the future?

Sorry, but I don't think the criteria magically created 40-50 new voters JUST for this one Quarter-Final Bout. It's shill/duplicate vote city.

No, but voters ARE voting with different criteria in mind. Some historical, some for story, some on how much the comics are worth. If I were voting for the best story, Supes wins. While the X book has a far more historical significance, the story is unremarkable.

Yeah, I think with 64 votes registered for the winner, a lot of shilling must have been going on unless we get several more of us to step up and declare that's how we voted. I haven't done a count, but so far it can't be more than a half-dozen of us to publicly claim our choice for the Superman 2-parter.

But I'm baffled why the result is so incomprehensible apart from the 64 votes as suspected shills. The $10 book value thing only matters if you're choosing to vote based on the collectibility of the book, and AlexH left it up to us to choose the criteria for voting. And the GSXM as a "Top 10" book? Whose Top 10 list are we talking about? Based on what?

But I do agree with the sentiment that the poll becomes a joke unless we have 64 different people giving reasons (whatever they were) for voting for the eventual "winner" the way they did.

Top 10 historical significance.

1. Action 1

2. Detective 27

3. Mad 1

4. Showcase 4

5. Fantastic Four 1

6. Amazing Fantasy 15

7. Giant Size X-Men 1

8. All Star Comics 3

9. Pep 22

10. Crime Suspenstories 22 (the infamous decapitation cover, directly led to the Comics Code after Bill Gaines was skewered at the Kefauver hearings)

1. Action 1

2. Detective 27

3. Mad 1

4. Showcase 4

5. Fantastic Four 1

6. Amazing Fantasy 15

7. Giant Size X-Men 1

8. All Star Comics 3

9. Pep 22

10. Crime Suspenstories 22 (the infamous decapitation cover, directly led to the Comics Code after Bill Gaines was skewered at the Kefauver hearings)

What you mean to tell me that there is no Action #583 or Superman #423

in that list?

Unbelievable!

insane.gif

1. Action 1

2. Detective 27

3. Mad 1

4. Showcase 4

5. Fantastic Four 1

6. Amazing Fantasy 15

7. Giant Size X-Men 1

8. All Star Comics 3

9. Pep 22

What you mean to tell me that there is no Action #583 or Superman #423

in that list?

Unbelievable!

insane.gif

What would the top ten best stories be?