• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teenage Dope Slaves on Comiclink

11 posts in this topic

Did anybody else see the Teenage Dope Slaves book that sold on Comiclink? I knew it would go fast....I was very tempted to pull the trigger myself but am hesistant about throwing down big dollars for HG Harveys. Does anybody happen to know if this book was part of the Harvey warehouse finds? Census numbers are pretty low for such a popular book, and this highest graded copy (the one that just sold) is an 8.5.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Very neat book. I'll probably regret not buying it! tongue.gif

I've only owned 1 copy of this book in my 45 years of collecting and 30 years of dealing. It was the Windy City copy. A slight dust shadow on the right edge of the front cover, but otherwise flat, tight and glossy.

Back around 1988 or so, my friend, Dean Mulaney, then publisher at Eclipse Comics, called to say he was doing a reprint of the book for a trade paperback. He asked if he could borrow my copy. I said sure, but I'd like credit for supplying it. He said no problem and I sent it off to him. 6 months later I get it back - in pieces!

Pieces!

The company they used to shoot the pages actually dismantled the book and split the cover in two! It was absolutely destroyed. Pages were ripped apart and the staples removed.

When I called Dean, he said, "Gary, they wouldn't do that!" I said, "Dean, I'm sending you the book, you tell me..."

Needless to say, he was dumbstruck. What was once a truly rare and esoteric part of our popular culture was now reduced to garbage.

It took another 6 months before I got the settlement from his printer...$300.

But if you look on the title page of the trade paperback, it gives me credit for supplying the original... frown.gif

I know of a similar story - not with comics but with a rare, very expensive (around $15K) antiquarian book that a friend of mine had. A publisher wanted to reprint it in a deluxe edition and asked if he could lend his copy as the source for the facsimile book. The original book was returned somewhat dismantled and he was pissed.

Moral of the story - don't lend your books out!!!

I would physically harm someone for doing that to my book, so they got off lucky in your case, as far as I'm concerned. It was very kind of you to loan it to them.... I can't say that I'd do the same since I don't trust people that don't have a love and respect for rare and fragile items.

A local art gallery once wanted to borrow some of my comics for an exhibit, and I said no. If it was a place with a major name and major insurance, I might've agreed, but it was a small-time upstart gallery. I didn't trust the guys putting together, and feared the worst. Sounds like I made a smart move!

893whatthe.gif

That's a nightmare of a story! I'm sure that wasn't Dean's fault but I worked with Eclipse on a different project and they were ready to "rip me a new one" for not mailing out some comics to stores for them that they published but I printed. Thing is ... their letter to me had the WRONG ADDRESS on it and I was lucky to even get it. Their mistake as all previous letters to me had the right address. Oh well, minor story.

Ghoul:

Most of the independent publishers back in the 80's were managed by people who truly loved and respected comics. Dean Mulaney and Cat Yronwode are at the top of the list along with Mike Richardson. Dean couldn't believe that a printer/photographer would destroy something without first letting him know that that could possibly happen..

Now, that being said, they made many mistakes and bad business decisions and often employed people in key positions that weren't qualified. It sounds like you were a victim of that deficiency in their management of Eclipse.

BTW, I was so upset and shocked when I got the book back that I let loose with a primordial scream that is now probably nearing Neptune.

I was told at a Seattle, WA comicon that Teenage Dope Slaves was indeed part of the warehouse find. Popular issue due to the crazy title. Perhaps collectors don't have enough of an incentive to slab their copies? confused-smiley-013.gif

I was told at a Seattle, WA comicon that Teenage Dope Slaves was indeed part of the warehouse find. Popular issue due to the crazy title. Perhaps collectors don't have enough of an incentive to slab their copies? confused-smiley-013.gif

Good to hear, and admittedly makes me feel a little bit better about not pulling the trigger on that book. Though why would there be no incentive to slab? It guides pretty high....maybe somebody's hoarding them or something. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif