• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Staple/spine issues on a few comics (Spare a grade?)

4 posts in this topic

Oops, didn't see the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" board when I posted this. Sorry! Feel free to delete this thread.

Hey all,

I'm about to submit a batch of comics to CGC for the first time. Due to staple issues there are a few that I'm on the fence about, because I'm not sure how much the imperfect stapling/rust could bring the grade down. I'm just curious what people would estimate.

(Sorry if the size of the pictures are too large, or if I'm not formatting images correctly. I've tried to follow the guidelines, but am new here.)

First up in Batman 417. Aside from the staples, it has no other defects other than the cut of the spine not being perfectly parallel. The staples are not parallel with each other, and under the top staple you can see a bit of dirt (possibly rust? maybe not?).

P1230456.jpg

P1230458.jpg

Next is Batman Adventures (Vol 2) #3. The top staple is a bit pushed in. Manufacturing defect, probably. Other than this, the comic is immaculate and unread. Any hope of getting a 9.6 if this is the only thing wrong with it?

P1230461.jpg

Third is ASM #318. The book is in great shape except for the fact that both staples seem a bit... old... possibly "rusty", though if so then the rust looks white. I only managed to get a clear picture of the top staple, because my camera wouldn't focus very well, but the bottom staple is in the same condition as the top.

P1230464.jpg

Fourth is Detective 474. I bought it as a VF and it's probably VF overall, but the staples aren't parallel and there is a bit of dirt (rust?) near the bottom one.

P1230465.jpg

P1230466.jpg

Lastly is my copy of Preacher #1. I would say it'd be 9.8... except for the fact that there is some wear/splitting over a relatively small section of the spine. This is the best picture I could get of it, because my camera wouldn't focus, but probably you can see what I mean:

P1230467.jpg

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I just want to prepare myself for how much this could lower the grade on these. I'm probably submitting the Preacher and 'Tec 474 no matter what, but with the other ones I need high grades or else I wouldn't submit.