• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To qualify or not qualify?

4 posts in this topic

This is purely hypothetical, but I am curious as to people's answers and hope I learn something:

If you had a raw silver age key, let's say Brave and the Bold #28 that has no restoration and the appearance of a 4.5/5.0 book, but has a tiny piece out of one page that slightly affects story and you want to get this book CGC graded. Would you:

Ask that you receive a qualified green label of 4.5/5.0 noting incomplete and referencing the small piece missing and affecting story?

or

Get a blue label 1.5 that will also probably reference the small piece missing?

Why would you pick the option you did? Re-sale value? Blue labels only in your collection? You want the highest grade possible on the slab? Explain to me your decision making process if you had this book to submit, which I don't.

Thanks!

My first thought: don't slab it at all.

My second thought: a tiny piece normally wouldn't affect the story unless it was a hole punch or a cutout.

Personally, I hate qualified labels, it's wishful thinking. If you have to say "it would've been a 5.0 if not for... " then you don't have a 5.0, and have to come to terms with it.

My second thought: a tiny piece normally wouldn't affect the story unless it was a hole punch or a cutout.

Personally, I hate qualified labels, it's wishful thinking. If you have to say "it would've been a 5.0 if not for... " then you don't have a 5.0, and have to come to terms with it.

If you had to pick one slabbed, sounds like you would prefer the blue label, and have one of the best looking 1.5 blue labels in the world for that book, rather than a qualified green with a much higher grade.

If you had to pick one slabbed, sounds like you would prefer the blue label, and have one of the best looking 1.5 blue labels in the world for that book, rather than a qualified green with a much higher grade.

I would agree with that. Other option is to have it "restored" to a higher grade (which might be minimal in costs and "work") which might increase your value.

My opinion is: Blue>Purple>Green. Purple labels have become very popular on key books these days.

Side note - it also really depends on the book itself. Mega key like BB28, lots of consideration - minor key like Uncanny X-men 266...probably not worth all the effort.