• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

appreciate your opinion- how much does centering and wrap affect value?

90 posts in this topic

Centering is crucial to me… Unless a book costs considerably less, I always look for well centered books. Not only in terms of "horizontal" miswrap, but also of vertical centering.

It’s not just about "presentation": there are instances in which the beauty of the scene of the cover is penalized if, for example, the book is excessively cut at the bottom

I also look at both the vertical and horizontal centering on the cover. Takes a lot of extra patience to find perfectly centered copies along with White pages, but makes the acquisition all the more rewarding to me. :banana:

Centering is crucial to me… Unless a book costs considerably less, I always look for well centered books. Not only in terms of "horizontal" miswrap, but also of vertical centering.

It’s not just about "presentation": there are instances in which the beauty of the scene of the cover is penalized if, for example, the book is excessively cut at the bottom

I also look at both the vertical and horizontal centering on the cover. Takes a lot of extra patience to find perfectly centered copies along with White pages, but makes the acquisition all the more rewarding. :banana:

.... it boils down to opportunity for me...... BA and up, I know I can hold out for the right copy...... also with 98% of SA....... but when we get into 40's and 50's books, the option isn't always there. I never mind a straight narrow strip at the spine.....but good centering is important to me and I would pay more for it 2c GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I also look at both the vertical and horizontal centering on the cover. Takes a lot of extra patience to find perfectly centered copies along with White pages, but makes the acquisition all the more rewarding. :banana:

.... it boils down to opportunity for me...... BA and up, I know I can hold out for the right copy...... also with 98% of SA....... but when we get into 40's and 50's books, the option isn't always there. I never mind a straight narrow strip at the spine.....but good centering is important to me and I would pay more for it 2c GOD BLESS...

Excellent point. GA collectors can't be as picky due to fewer opportunities. But as a SA & BA collector, with so many high grade offerings, you can be much more fastidious looking for a specific copy that appeals to you.

Excellent point. GA collectors can't be as picky due to fewer opportunities. But as a SA & BA collector, with so many high grade offerings, you can be much more fastidious looking for a specific copy.

.... many of the early 12 cent circle Marvel books can be difficult ...... they had recently downsized the dimensions of the books..... many of the 1960 books barely fit a SA bag..... and it's my theory that they continued to use the blue line Bristol that was scaled to the slightly larger size.... so you'll often find books with part of the CCA cropped off. FF 12 is a good example. Only a handful of the HG copies have the full stamp. Holding out for a choice copy can be a waiting game. Even though production values improved exponentially in the ensuing decade, there are still certain BA and CA books that can be a real bear to find with perfect centering. A good example I can think of off the top of my head.... ASM 104 ...... try and find a 9.4 with perfect centering. GOD BLESS...

Excellent point. GA collectors can't be as picky due to fewer opportunities. But as a SA & BA collector, with so many high grade offerings, you can be much more fastidious looking for a specific copy.

.... many of the early 12 cent circle Marvel books can be difficult ...... they had recently downsized the dimensions of the books..... many of the 1960 books barely fit a SA bag..... and it's my theory that they continued to use the blue line Bristol that was scaled to the slightly larger size.... so you'll often find books with part of the CCA cropped off. FF 12 is a good example. Only a handful of the HG copies have the full stamp. Holding out for a choice copy can be a waiting game. Even though production values improved exponentially in the ensuing decade, there are still certain BA and CA books that can be a real bear to find with perfect centering. A good example I can think of off the top of my head.... ASM 104 ...... try and find a 9.4 with perfect centering. GOD BLESS...

Great info (thumbs u

Marvel Team-Up 33 is often seen miscut and with a white strip across the top edge of the cover, and Detective Comics 481 often has a white strip across the lower edge of the book.

Two classic examples.

Excellent point. GA collectors can't be as picky due to fewer opportunities. But as a SA & BA collector, with so many high grade offerings, you can be much more fastidious looking for a specific copy that appeals to you.

This. I collect mostly SA up, so centering is always something I pay attention to. I've passed many books over. ASM#122 is one that immediately comes to mind. Finally bought my upgrade last year. Passed on that book so many times due to miswrap.

When you collect SA up "commons" (like ASM), you can be as picky as you like. There's always another copy around the corner.

What does the registration have to do with value? (shrug)

Looks like a normal 9.8 to me.

As far as a miswrap, they're not really taken into account as far as market prices go. Either the buyer likes it or not...usually no premium if it doesn't have a miswrap.

Why would there be a premium for a book that doesn't have a mis-wrap? A good wrap and good registration are expected for most issues.

I accept minor mis-wraps on GA books, and maybe some early SA books, because the selection is limited, but I wouldn't accept a mis-wrap or poor registration on a BA or newer book. If, for some reason, I were to buy a BA or modern book with that sort of defect, I'd expect a significant discount.

These boards are addictive, where else do you get such interesting analysis and history.

It’s "accumulated knowledge". The boards started over ten years ago, and most information has been passed thanks to the confrontation among collectors. Of course, this happened before as well, but telematics made the recording of this information easily accessible and easier to share, so you find a wealth of good information here, if you learn to discern. (thumbs u

Wrap matters to me. rantrant

I don't like seeing any white from the back make its way around to front.

However I don't mind a small miswrap to the back as long it only reveals a bit more of the right side cover and not the white beyond the art's edge.

I don't like any cover that it tltled off-centre and I watch for covers that are too high or too low revealing the white past the edges of the art.

I don't pay attention to whether I am paying a premium for a better book but I just simply pass on the others.

I'm in agreement with everything here, with the caveat that I will buy a modest miswrap if I know the book is rare enough in grade that I may not get another shot at one for possibly years. I also may take a better presenting book one, or even two grades lower, before a miswrapped copy.

Its not just about the numerical grade.

For those of you that are concerned about centering/wrap, what is viewed as "correct" or even "acceptable" for Bronze giant/squarebound books? Eventually I'm going to start shopping around for some high-grade Bronze Batbooks, but the spine wrapping around to the front on these issues drives me a little batty (roughly books in the 230's through 250's). It just makes the book look like it's been squished flat instead of having some depth and dimensionality like a thick book should. It almost seems like it's the norm to have the spine text running along the left of the cover, but are there a decent amount of correctly-aligned copies out there that I should hold off on the eyesores or is it just something you have to accept if you collect in that era?

I've found that comics without staples are particularly prone to centering issues. The one pictured below is a good example. The 9.4=$120, 9.6=$220 and the 9.8=$500.

Which would you add to your collection?

AA7_9.4_zpsq2jpwzaa.jpg

AA7_9.6_zpsfmlaadhq.jpg

AA7_9.8_zpsubgzfvqj.jpg

For aesthetics my first choice is the 9.4, next the 9.8 and you can keep the 9.6; it's a deal breaker for me.

Agree. The 9.4 has the best overall vertical and horizontal centering in my opinion. This is an instance where I would pass on the two higher grade copies and instead take the 9.4, or wait until a 9.6 or 9.8 comes to market with better centering and overall eye appeal (White pages is also a huge bonus for me). Again, everyone has their personal preferences in collecting, and that's what makes it so much fun and interesting! (thumbs u