• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books that need more love

62 posts in this topic

I think there's a lot to love about Marvel Team-Up #100... let me count the ways:

MARVEL TEAM-UP 100 CGC 9.8 001_zpsftl9dnmh.jpg

1. Double-sized.

2. Round number issue.

3. Frank Mill art (with Chris Claremont at his best).

4. Spidey + FF + X-Men cameo.

5. 1st app. Karma (possible New Mutants movie on the way).

BONUS

6. Storm + Panther back up story.

7. Byrne art... a must have for Byrne X-collectors.

The market does what the market does... but I'm always disappointed to see this book continually turn up in the cheapy bins. If you come across it, I encourage you to pick it up. If for no other reason... it's a good read.

Any other books you feel deserves more attention?

I can see this becoming one of those pump-and-dump threads.

I don't own the 9.8 that's pictured... I just grab that from the net. But I do own several raw copies that I picked up cheap. Hope my disclosure can help facilitate an innocent conversation free of ulterior motives. I'm not looking to get rich off these books... I'm just a fan.

The Grand Poobah of overlooked books is Batman 258.

It's historical significance and massive influence across pop culture is off the charts, yet it gets no labeling.

1302122049591.jpg

What is the massive influence across pop culture?

1st Arkham Asylum. Great pick. Surprisingly not many people know about this book. Relatively cheap in the raw.

Arkham Asylum.

A grand overstatement.

"Batman" pop culture -- yes.

Pop culture in general -- not so much...

Yeah, it's not like its influence spread across books, tv, film, animation, video games or spawned new popular characters. Or continues to do so. :baiting:

Better that they break out the 1st appearance of Ace the Bat-Hound. meh

Arkham_asylum.jpg

Arkham Asylum.

A grand overstatement.

"Batman" pop culture -- yes.

Pop culture in general -- not so much...

Yeah, it's not like its influence spread across books, tv, film, animation, video games or spawned new popular characters. Or continues to do so. :baiting:

Better that they break out the 1st appearance of Ace the Bat-Hound. meh

Arkham_asylum.jpg

Is that your 9.8 brother? If so congrats! Solo 9.8!!!

Anyway I agree if Harley can go BOOM that kind of sprung like a cannon of those video games I don't see why this one is cold for long.

Anyway this was a childhood book for me. I think it has a story where bats and robin get locked in a cage and inside of batman's mask ear is a mini blow torch and he cuts them free with it - Wild!

:golfclap:

Yeah, it's not like its influence spread across books, tv, film, animation, video games or spawned new popular characters...

Sure...but those are all books, TV, film, animation, video games, popular characters, etc., which either star Batman, prominently feature Batman, are spun-off from Batman's world, and/or are created by and for Batman fans.

I think we're just defining "massive influence across pop culture" differently.

Batman as a character archetype had a "massive influence", no doubt; additions to his fictional milieu, on the other hand, only serve to perpetuate it to a more-or-less captive audience of Batman fans.

The first appearance of Arkham Asylum is "massive" to serious Batman fans and thus primarily of interest to comic book people and related fandoms; to civilians, it's either unknown, a footnote, or a yawner.

To pick the most obvious example, "Star Wars" (like the archetypal heroes it channels) is what "massive" is all about: it made a dead/dying genre (space-opera/SF action-adventure) highly marketable again to a mass audience; spawned scores of imitators in film, TV, comics, etc.; launched a mega-dollar licensing bonanza which every subsequent would-be blockbuster in diverse genres has tried to emulate ever since; and has even added words and phrases to our daily vocabulary.

I guess "massive" ain't what it used to be...unless of course I've missed all those non-Batman-related movies, best-selling novels, TV shows, bathing suits, board games, video games, coloring books, bed sheets, party favors, pajamas, and coffee creamer containers featuring dark, brooding, gothic Asylums for the Criminally Insane...

:insane::baiting::grin:

I guess "massive" ain't what it used to be...unless of course I've missed all those non-Batman-related movies, best-selling novels, TV shows, bathing suits, board games, video games, coloring books, bed sheets, party favors, pajamas, and coffee creamer containers featuring dark, brooding, gothic Asylums for the Criminally Insane...

:insane::baiting::grin:

:foryou: C'mon man, we're talking in the context of comic books. And Arkham is across just about all pop-culture mediums now.

Maybe I should of said "far reaching" or "widespread" influence instead of "massive". OK? Mr Picker of Nits. :grin::shy:

arkham_lego.jpg

arkhamasylumescape(4pack).jpg

arkham_popup.jpg