• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just out of curiosity...

12 posts in this topic

...has anyone heard if there has ever been a real, honest-to-gosh burglary regarding Original Comic Art?

I've heard of pieces going missing at shows, but I'm talking Home Invasion stuff here.

Just curious.

I never have. But there was a guy on Comicart-L who's entire stash 'disappeared' during an oveseas move. He was insured and got paid out. The art, to my knowledge, remains MIA though. And doesn't that suck? Also iirc there was a Terry (?) that's into Doc Savage that realized a few pieces were missing after either some workers did work in the house or some friends were over (something like that). Don't remember that piece or pieces reappearing. Michael Gidwitz had a lot of problems (according to him) with people taking stuff when they would visit, as his home was filled with wonders just laying about. Per Felix's podcast with Dave Mandel, Dave no longer opens his home the way he used to for similar concerns. Those are off the top of my head, I'm sure there are many more in the annals of comic art (and baseball stuff for Gidwitz).

Art has been stolen from conventions and comic-shows (e.g. Albert Moy and Mike Burkey have had stuff go missing from their booths). Splash page to Avengers # 6 by Kirby got stolen at a convention but was later recovered. Not house-burglary, I know, but it does prove that there are thieves out there for this stuff.

Anyone 'acquiring' art dishonestly can't do anything other than look at their ill-gotten-gains in solitude (which may be enough for them) and run the risk of being caught if trying to sell-on.

The Doc Savage guy is not me, Michael.

The Doc Savage guy is not me, Michael.

I know. You are (most likely) not the only Terry in the world, though I know you think so ;)

Wait let me pull up whitepages.com, let's see how many...

No, no . . . I'm really a Terence.

Anyone 'acquiring' art dishonestly can't do anything other than look at their ill-gotten-gains in solitude (which may be enough for them) and run the risk of being caught if trying to sell-on.

Of course I agree with this exceptionally logical statement. But I doubt it makes those that have lost (and never found again) feel better. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Of course I agree with this exceptionally logical statement. But I doubt it makes those that have lost (and never found again) feel better. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Absolutely!

This is why my entire collection is insured.

And regarding stolen art, there is probably a full underground market for it. Think of "The Scream" that was stolen from a museum a few years ago.

I read the home theft stuff, and I just don't get it. This idea of someone breaking into homes and stealing comic art... It comes up every so often, and I think of it as a silly boogieman story.

Like the old razorblade in the Halloween candy, the perpetrator is far more likely to be a family member or friend than some planned art heist.

And really of all the stuff in our homes that could be stolen... half of us would struggle to find anyone even interested in looking at it outside of our other art collector friends. How many of them are true blue criminal masterminds? Not of the white-collar, market manipulation or keyboard warrior swindle variety, but the breakin in and getting hands dirty kind?

But do insure your art for theft to cover things like shipping it, traveling with it. Against flood, earthquake or fire losses. Practical things that can and DO occur.

My .02¢

How much does insurance cost anyhow?

FYI: Smart-home security is super easy and cheap nowadays. I'm not talking monthly fees. I'm talking an accessible entry cost with video that records live to the cloud. Some very cool stuff has been on Kickstarter and IndieGoGo.