• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade my Giant Sized X-Men #1

22 posts in this topic

Difficult to tell from this scan. The scan should be larger with higher resolution. On a cover like this I would suggest a light colored background. The white cover tends to blend with the white background that you now have.

The ripples along the spine are not that big of a deal. I have several HG squarebounds exhibit the same flaw.

That being said, your copy seems fairly solid looking. I would guess probably 9.2 (NM-).

that seems like glue rippling on the back cover. Scans many times accentuate it so that it looks far worse than it is. However, it does look fugly to me... I would only put it at an 8.5 -- maybe a 9.0 -- it may very well grade by CGC higher.

you are right about teh scan making it look worse...I had to do a double take on it after the scan....8.5 seems a bit low...this is really a nice looking book...I would love to know what you are taking off for....there ar sooo many grades higher than an 8.5 so just what all are you subtracting for?

First of all, I hate grading from scans, and I am routinely under on scans because I can't see the book in person.

Second -- the scan seems small, so picking up defects is hard. That back cover just really looks ugly to me, but I know the source, but it's hard to factor it in the overall grade.

If I saw a book like that, it would bother me. There appears to be minor spine wear and the bottom right hand corner looks dull and blunted.

The book does look nice otherwise, for the brightness of the white and looks pretty good. These are things I think you'd probably do better with CGC than my grade. I just don't like the look of the book, and so I have trouble making it a 9.2 or so. I would give a 9.0 max, but more likely an 8.5 -- but again, that's without actually seeing the book in person.

that's true -- the glue ripples are not going to be knocked by CGC and shouldn't be technically factored in on grading -- however, it would bother the hell out of me, and there's no way I personally could assign a high grade to that book. It's a personal bias.