• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Self storage space for your comics?

22 posts in this topic

Hello Friends,

Unfortunately I live in a one bedroom apartment and my comics are becoming difficult to manage here, due to lack of space. I was thinking about renting a small self-storage unit, something in the $40/50 per month range, and I was wondering whether anyone else has done the same and what kind of suggestions you may have for me.

Thanks!

As someone who worked in self storage in the Los Angeles area, don't do it. Most are not climate controlled and the prices are so insane that will end up paying more for storage than you did for the comics. And, in this area, your rate will go up a couple times a year.

What I told people who came into the office to rent, if you don't need it, get rid of it. The money you'll spend on storage, you could buy it again a couple times over.

Since you have comics that you obviously don't want to get rid of, I'd say get rid of something else you don't need for the space.

Just my two cents from working in that industry.

Quick follow-up to my Good/Bad post based on the Los Angeles area scenario that D84 mentioned.

Where I am (not Los Angeles), I pay $80 per month for 10x10 climate-controlled space. That's about $10 per square foot, per year. My home (with its mortgage and limited number of rooms) is about $12 per square foot, per year.

It's cheaper for my comics (and some of my wife's inherited furniture and framed things) to "live" at climate-controlled storage than for them to "live" at home. Plus, no one cares if I literally pack the square footage in the storage unit to the ceiling.

For me... it's worth it.

Be careful about "climate control" claims. They are dubious.

That's true. Usually when they say "climate controlled", they mean the floor, not the individual units. Unless you are will to pay a ton of money.

Be careful about "climate control" claims. They are dubious.

That's true. Usually when they say "climate controlled", they mean the floor, not the individual units. Unless you are will to pay a ton of money.

I've been in my climate-controlled storage when it was 105 outside. It was 75 inside.

I've been in my climate-controlled storage when it was 15 outside. It was 65 inside.

I don't doubt that there are some corner-cutting businesses out there... but here, it's good.

Thanks for the great replies. After carefully considering what you told me, I think that the self-storage is not a solution for me. I did not consider the climate controlled factor and when I checked units in my area that are climate controlled...well, it is not worth it. The cheapest I found is $150/month for a closet size storage. Way too much.

Thanks for the great replies. After carefully considering what you told me, I think that the self-storage is not a solution for me. I did not consider the climate controlled factor and when I checked units in my area that are climate controlled...well, it is not worth it. The cheapest I found is $150/month for a closet size storage. Way too much.

Of course, you as I do live in So. Calif.

My 10x15' was about $75 a month (in Cleveland, Ohio) but I switched over to having the long boxes on pallets in the basement since I've got a ton of room and it's unfinished. The storage worked great for the two months it took me to get everything situated at the house.

Hello Friends,

Unfortunately I live in a one bedroom apartment and my comics are becoming difficult to manage here, due to lack of space. I was thinking about renting a small self-storage unit, something in the $40/50 per month range, and I was wondering whether anyone else has done the same and what kind of suggestions you may have for me.

Thanks!

Use short boxes. Three boxes side by side in a corner, then cross-stack making a tower as tall as you can manage.

Takes up about 3 feet of floor space. Even in a one-bedroom you can find an out of the way corner or two.

14 long boxes and a mattress and you have a comic-book bed!

And if you use drawer boxes you won't have to take the mattress off.

With my fat butt I can only imagine how pressed those puppies would be if I put the boxes sideways! Genius!

14 long boxes and a mattress and you have a comic-book bed!

And if you use drawer boxes you won't have to take the mattress off.

With my fat butt I can only imagine how pressed those puppies would be if I put the boxes sideways! Genius!

I am 250 plus. By the time your weight is spread out on the mattress on the boxes, it is almost nothing. I did it for 3 queen beds for 20 years with no bad effects. Now I have room for them on shelves. Here is one that was under my bed that had two adults on it for many years. I don't think it hurt it any.

Before, under bed for 20 years:

IMG_0044_zps2fe2d850.jpg

After sending it in for grading:

Bone198_zps692d5853.jpg