• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting Comic Excercise

15 posts in this topic

I went to Wiki and backtracked exactly what comics I bought in what order-there were a few surprises and it was a great memory jog.

I just googled dc comics may 1967 which was when I bought my first comics then worked my way forward.

Surprised that the 2nd comic I ever bought was Adventure 356, which I loved yet I never bought another Adventure comic until many years later. Why? I can only say that I usually only had enough money for 2 comics and Superman Action and Superboy were always my first choices. So I was neglecting all those great Swan/Shooter issues for cruddy Wayne Boring and Stan Kaye stuff. If only I knew better.

I also only had about 40 comics and in my memory it seemed like my collection was much larger. Only when I was 13 was I able to buy any comic I wanted.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Category:1967,_May

1967 was when I was first getting into comics, but that Metal Men #25 was the only one I bought myself from that list. My brother had the Action #350 and the Superman #196.

After reviewing those titles from that month, I was surprised to find 4 romance offerings. There was a pretty diverse selection to choose from besides all the superhero titles; humor, war, sci-fi rounded out the list there. Wow, those were the days!

I would have to suppose all those romance titles were supported by a female majority of buyers, and there had to be a fairly large base of buyers for them to publish that many titles, so my question is, where are all those former female buyers now (and why aren't they clamoring for these back issues driving up their value)???

I bet they get that tingly feeling too like when we grab some book from our childhood....

I’ve revisited the olden days many times using the Newsstand option at http://www.dcindexes.com/index.php, in particular; 73-75, when I was a kid buying American comics for the first time from the local bus station, and 77-80, which was my first phase as a dedicated collector.

A couple of weekends ago I received a wonderful-looking NM raw copy of Avengers 120, the first American book I recall buying. A nothing comic to most boardies, I would suspect, but I spent a while, on and off, looking at its Starlin cover and reminiscing.

I envy you all greatly! Comics were never big over here in the UK, at least not in my world they weren't. None of my pals at school ever had comics, I didn't know they existed...

The only things of a collectible nature I recall fondly from my childhood were Merlin, Topps and Panini Football stickers. Then of course LEGO, Teenage Mutants 'Hero' Turtles figures & WWF wrestling figures.

Speaking of the figures... Where's a good site to buy graded MOC turtles 10 backs from '88? I'd like to buy them all again. Start with the 4 turtles then Shredder & Splinter.... Beebop & Rocksteady.... er... The footsoldier? One more?... Casey Jones maybe? April? Yeah, for sure I want those.

Good times :)

I’m British and in the UK. My first Avengers 120 was a pence copy.

In the 70s, I was the only one in my year at school collecting comics, and so you’re not alone in that respect.

A bit of a stigma at that time, and I only wish I’d been as comfortable with my nerdishness then as I am now.

I just googled dc comics may 1967 which was when I bought my first comics then worked my way forward.

Surprised that the 2nd comic I ever bought was Adventure 356, which I loved yet I never bought another Adventure comic until many years later.

Just to add the historical placement, Adventure 356 would have been on the newsstands in March of 1967. :shy:

I wish I could go back to when I was a kid and would buy comic books at flea markets and yard sales. I didn't know anything about values so I was just as likely to grab a stack of Marvel Tales instead of old Amazing Spider-mans for the same price.

The first comics I bought were definitely G.I. Joe comics, and all of my first few years of comics were Mark Jewelers :luhv:.

I wasn't in on the groundfloor which is why I think I'm not really in that Duke > group, and always have been more of a Flint fan.

The first issue I bought brand new was #34, which IMHO is a classic issue, a dog fight between Ace/Sky Striker and Wild Weasel/Rattler.

I wasn't even a comic fan at this point and just more of a G.I. Joe fan and consuming their product (toy, cartoon) anywhere I could get it. I'd later get into ASM and X-men, joining probably what was the biggest wave of fans in that era and in comic in general, as Spidey and the X-Bloc would basically be the crown jewel properties.

I'm a bit impressed that so many seem to recall the first new comic they bought off the stand. My earliest comic memories are of reading Harveys, particularly enjoying Sad Sack, but I couldn't tell you what issues I read. As for Marvel and DC, my earliest memories of these publishers are a mix of books read at a friend's house, barber shop/summer camp selections, yard sale finds, the coverless remainders sold in multipacks my mom would buy, and the individual used comics a local store sold for a nickel, so it becomes hard to recall which new books I bought of the stands when they were first published. I also avidly picked up back issues at conventions from about the age of 12 onward, and bought out a buddy's collection around then, so while I when I peruse through the sites with chronological and contemporaneous publishing info, and remember reading and owning many a book from the Silver and early Bronze eras, it's difficult to separate which ones I bought new and which ones I acquired second hand.

Surprised that the 2nd comic I ever bought was Adventure 356, which I loved yet I never bought another Adventure comic until many years later.

Just to add the historical placement, Adventure 356 would have been on the newsstands in March of 1967. :shy:

This is correct, books that came out in March in those days were cover dated either May or June. For DC books it was easy to figure out; books that had the box around the month were 3 months ahead (bi-monthly books) and books without that box were 2 months ahead (monthly or 8 times a year books). It was harder to figure out for Marvel books.