• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel ruining it for everyone?

99 posts in this topic

This is exactly what happened to me but with different books. The first time I saw the Absorbing Man was in Thor 235/236. In that battle the Absorbing Man defeats Thor and leaves him unconscious on the street while he roams off destroying the surroundings. I loved the story! It made me want to see more of the villain and an asterix told me where he last appeared so I went looking for that issue.

Me too!

photo-4.jpg

I understand there is more revenue in film/tv and everyday merchandise but a quality comic book line can still be a money maker. After all where did all these ideas come from. The yearly Marvel reboot was starting to work against Marvel and now DC got nervous and decided to respin. I'll be down to just Batman and Justice League. I gave up on DD because the respins took away any collector meaning from me for the print copy.

Has anyone seen this? Marvel goes full SJW.

I didn't see this listed anywhere on the forum.

I knew Marvel had issues but this?

Oh please.

Editorial made a decision not to print a racial slur.

If social media nerds feel the need to read and see naughty bits, read Bennett's INSEXTS.

Lawyers and editors make the decisions at Marvel, not writers and artists. And the decisions are made in regards to 'safest route possible', not advancing some cockamamie agenda.

Oh please.

If social media nerds feel the need to read and see naughty bits, read Bennett's INSEXTS.

Lawyers and editors make the decisions at Marvel, not writers and artists. And the decisions are made in regards to 'safest route possible', not advancing some cockamamie agenda.

That's not really the point. Why even put that in a book that's not even remotely close to being relevant to the characters in the story?

I didn't mention anything about the legality of writing it. Hell Marvel can write whatever they choose to publish.

When Spider Ham joins the Avengers Ultimates then Marvel will jump the final shark
You may mock Spider Ham, but what was the original reaction to Rocket or Groot?

Spider-Ham is awesome, but that’s precisely the problem: Spider-Ham was a (brilliant) parody, while Rocket Raccon was an actual character which has been altered to the point he’s no longer himself. Same thing that happened with most of their characters, especially since Civil War.

As for Groot, he’s a case on its own. After uncounted years, they just rescue an obscure monster from the Atlas age which was not meant, by no means, as a "Marvel hero" and turn it into a (also altered) version of itself.

I know some of the Atlas monster were already reintroduced in that Hulk annual, but you get the point.

What they did with Spider-Verse, and what they have been doing with this Secret Wars thing is – more or less – beyond the point of nonsense.

Part of me believes that like all printed publications, Marvel is trying anything and everything to stay relevant as a printed media.

I picked up the Newspaper the other day for the first time in a year. I could not believe at the price increase and the page decrease. I put it back down and went back to reading the news on my iPhone.

I know we have debates over the comic book as a printed medium but I do believe that the numbers are going to continually decrease as will the size of each book until it is no longer worth it to publish the book at all.

Eventually it will be subscribed digital.

But reading on a screen is not at all like reading on a page: it is a valid alternative, especially if you need to make a specific use of the text (i.e. for scholars, or for technical reading, or even for "throwaway reading" of comics, like you say) but a book is a book, and an electronic device is… an electronic device.

Aside from the fact that you will always need electric power to run it, it’s not the same kind/level/experience of reading, no matter what.

And I have not even started to talk about how a page is laid down, depending on content, that’s what makes an eBook and not an eText. Most so-called eBooks are not even eBooks.

I don't mind reading comics on my now aging iPad 2, except that the page is perhaps a bit too small. Reviews have said that comics pages present much better on the new, much larger iPad Pro and Microsoft Surface Pro tablets.

But reading on a screen is not at all like reading on a page: it is a valid alternative, especially if you need to make a specific use of the text (i.e. for scholars, or for technical reading, or even for "throwaway reading" of comics, like you say) but a book is a book, and an electronic device is… an electronic device.

Aside from the fact that you will always need electric power to run it, it’s not the same kind/level/experience of reading, no matter what.

And I have not even started to talk about how a page is laid down, depending on content, that’s what makes an eBook and not an eText. Most so-called eBooks are not even eBooks.

Personally, I prefer to read comics digitally. There are plenty of advantages and yes, I say this realizing that the more people that switch to digital reading creates a greater possibility that comics as a medium in any format could possibly die.

1 - I actually find it easier to read. Most of my reading is done while commuting on public transportation. Comic books are always a curved page and it is easier and quicker to read on a flat surface as presented on the screen.

2 - I actually can appreciate the artwork more on a digital screen since I can blow up certain panels and investigate the art and the backgrounds in greater focus, depth and detail.

3 - I honestly do not like clutter. Given all the ridiculous collections that most know me for here, Lego, Plastic Crack and Comics I do not like useless stuff laying around. Most comics are one and done issues. I rarely, if ever, go back and re-read. To have comics that are of most likely little value in bulk and volume lay around is of no use for me. You know I love my Valiant, I keep what I have collected, but once a series is done that I have purchased for reading purposes I group it together and sell it off. The only reason I buy it to begin with is because I do not want to pay individually for an issue that I cannot resell down the line. I love the Marvel Unlimited as the value is incomparable in regards to the access of comics one has vs buying them from the newsstand.

4 - I readily admit that I am part of the problem in that we are in a disposable society when it comes to information. I have no problem driving the same car for the past 15 years but I cannot save newspapers. I don't like saving things, "in case I want to go back to them again." However, valuable information is more easily organized and stored for me on my computer than it can be in a real world format. With a simple search on my computer I can find the information I want. With a simple google search I can find the information I want. I really do not want to page through and investigate through physical books and articles for what I am looking for.

To each their own, but I really do feel that as technology improves and space is more limited on our planet combined with the rising costs of processing and transporting paper that the next few generations are going to drift more and more toward digital media.

I didnt want to start a new thread . I figured this falls in here since Marvel is one of the leaders in Variants and much of what else is mentioned.

The gist of this is we are repeating history with the way things are going .

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/02/07/houston-she-has-a-problem-running-a-comic-store-today/#.Vrezd1qpb8c.facebook

Oh please.

That's not really the point. Why even put that in a book that's not even remotely close to being relevant to the characters in the story?

I didn't mention anything about the legality of writing it. Hell Marvel can write whatever they choose to publish.

My response was in regards to the guy who made the video, and his mention of Marvel being a SJW (Social Justice Warrior). Just because he feels the need to say f--- every other sentence, doesn't mean all comics published are cool to follow his lead. And his sales numbers (which are actually print numbers, we have no idea of actual sales) mean very little, as plenty of Garth Ennis f-bomb comics sell in that range as well.

And as far as Marvel putting things in the story that make no sense, well... that's been going on for decades.

the_teardrop_explodes_comic_1344259274_crop_550x394.jpg

Oh please.

My response was in regards to the guy who made the video, and his mention of Marvel being a SJW (Social Justice Warrior). Just because he feels the need to say f--- every other sentence, doesn't mean all comics published are cool to follow his lead. And his sales numbers (which are actually print numbers, we have no idea of actual sales) mean very little, as plenty of Garth Ennis f-bomb comics sell in that range as well.

And as far as Marvel putting things in the story that make no sense, well... that's been going on for decades.

Hey - the Teardrop Explodes are a great band!

Oh please.

Hey - the Teardrop Explodes are a great band!

Now if we can just find a band who'll name themselves 'Unsolicited Opinions on Israel'....