• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Art Con April 3 Secaucus, NJ

120 posts in this topic

Was really tempted to pick up this splash page from Iron Man 180. Ditko did the pencils on the book, EXCEPT for the splash page. That was done by Marie Severin. Not sure if you can read it or not, but at the bottom it reads "S. Ditko refused to illustrate a drunk hero. MS" (Ask was $2,600)

25627980484_30241fd83c_c.jpg

This made the IP lawyer in me very happy. I was tempted to buy it to frame and hang in the office. But the sun damage (or is that glue residue I couldn't tell) kept me away from it.

26206807666_65a6129cb1_h.jpg

But the sun damage (or is that glue residue I couldn't tell) kept me away from it.[/img]

That's definitely some very nasty sun damage. Not worth it, unless heavily discounted. The Iron Man splash by Severin pic/story, great share -thanks for that!

Uploading pics now. Sorry was busy last night with wrestlemania. Picked up only one piece :(

Is that code for something or are you actually admitting to watching Wrestlemania? hm

Uploading pics now. Sorry was busy last night with wrestlemania. Picked up only one piece :(

Is that code for something or are you actually admitting to watching Wrestlemania? hm

lol no code, huge wrestling mark. The GF wasn't happy about comic art con all morning and then 6+ hours of wrestling last night, followed by 3 hours tonight. So if anyone can suggest a good jeweler I would be appreciative.

You might as well get used to it...it's not going to change. It's why I stopped going to San Diego Con about a decade ago after having made the trip for about 20 years in a row. I used to think I have to go just in case I miss out on that "special something" for the collection, but with the prices being the way they are, it's not worth it anymore...if I want to check in with fellow collectors to catch up on things or talk shop I can email, call them, use Skype, etc. Only attend a convention if there is one locally...

Conversely, I got to San Diego every year not so much to get art, but to hang out with people I get to see just once a year. If I happen to find a piece art, bonus!

I had cash at the ready, and was even ready to go to the mat if I saw something special, but everything was AT LEAST double FMV. I don't mind stretching 20, 30, 40% over FMV for a piece (especially paying direct to an artist or rep), but overpaying like this would have been humiliating.

Can you give any concrete examples?

I think this is a legit question. It's not that I don't agree with the general sentiment that asking prices at this show can be overinflated, and I certainly didn't see any huge bargains to be had (though, to be fair, I sold a page to a friend at the show for 10-15% below FMV - because I'm a nice guy). I'm not saying that there weren't pieces in the room that were double FMV or more, but to say that "everything was AT LEAST double FMV" is just flat-out incorrect, and most likely indicates either extrapolation of sticker shock on a few pieces to the broader whole, or just being out of touch with where market levels are right now. All of the better pieces in the room may have been at least double 2009 prices, but they certainly aren't all double 2016 prices. (shrug)

I'm sure that people can point to some examples of pieces that were egregiously overpriced, but most of what I saw could reasonably described as within 20-25% of FMV. 2c

I didn't see a lot of new stuff in my collecting niche but did see a few smaller things and bought 4 pages (all from artists in runs I collect). So to underscore Gene's point (and I agree with his post), comparing to my perception of FMV on these:

From one dealer: One was 20% over FMV and the other was 35% (irony here was that the reason they were that high to begin with was because the dealer had paid that much for another comparable page that he was keeping--so basically since he "overpaid" on that other page he applied that same view to the two pages I bought. Note, I was able to negotiate him down 10% from his original ask for both pages (the above numbers are off what I paid, not his original ask).

Another dealer: One was 14% over FMV and the other was 18% over FMV.

The above pages were all in the $1k to $5k range.

So, bargains, no. But within reasonable range of my perception of FMV for those pages (which were also "fresh to market").

Right you are Gene.

For myself at the low side I sold a Sonja sketch page for $65. I think fair, and on the high side several whole books for Iron Devil at over 25% onder FMV.

deals wore to be had, perhaps more with the collectors with tables, who did not get much exposure with the photos but can be seen on CAF. they pulled out some great stuff.

But if you go to a car show and only ask prices at the Ferrari, Bentley & Porsche you may in in for a shock.

Prices were exactly where I expected most of them to be. While walking around I asked my friend if that was the Legends #3 cover at the one booth (it was). He asked what something like that goes for. My response was "Well, hot book so no clue, but I'd say fair at 10-15,000." Asked the seller $12,500. So right in the middle of what I was expecting.

Gene, Darren, nice pic of you guys Dan Gallo posted.

Great artwork both of you have there as well! IM was the first marvel series I collected so that lovely Kane IM49 cover is very memorable for me :cloud9: (as very much is the NM1; but just further outside my scope).

Gene, Darren, nice pic of you guys Dan Gallo posted.

Great artwork both of you have there as well! IM was the first marvel series I collected so that lovely Kane IM49 cover is very memorable for me :cloud9: (as very much is the NM1; but just further outside my scope).

Thanks :) I was talking to a few collectors and suddenly Dan was there with a camera so I grabbed the first thing I had close, which was that cover from my personal collection which I recently acquired. I'll be posting it on CAF at some point soon.

Gene, Daren, nice pic of you guys Dan Gallo posted.

Thanks. (thumbs u

The reason why my hair is so messed up in that pic is from walking through the gale force winds outside yesterday. Three of us took my car to the show and I thought my car doors had broken when we opened them, as two of them were slammed by winds at ludicrous force against the hinges. I think I heard at the show that someone's rental car door DID break from the wind slamming it outward against the wrong direction. It was :screwy: ! I wonder if the weather kept some people away; it was a good day to stay indoors at home, frankly.

That said, I enjoyed the show - tons of great art and a decent turnout of collectors, including some Boardies who I had never met in person before (including Jaybuck43, Buzzetta and dspair - nice to meet all of you!) Plus, there were friends at the show from the U.K., up and down the East Coast, and even one from Asia as well, and it was great to see all of them. Always nice to spend a day with others who share your passion for OA all in one room without the distraction of everything else that goes with modern conventions these days.

I sold one page and got some leads that could lead to a couple of more sales/trades in the future, so it was worth it for me to set up. I didn't buy anything, though I did get some leads that could possibly turn into a future acquisition or two.