• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Ongoing Story : Living Up To The Definition of A Saga by The First Avenger

3 posts in this topic

The story of a new collector going after the heroes from his childhood and the series that got him into starting a collection of comic books in the first place.

I will keep this post updated with every new transaction, flub up, additions to my background/life and more. Hopefully it will be a good read.

10/29/2011

I joined the CGC forums in hopes of collecting a character I had loved growing up, Steven Rogers. Cartoons and video games were my introduction to Rogers growing up, along with the films made in the 70s and in 1990. When finding out the price of the books, the early Cap books, I knew I was in over my head and unless I won the lotto, collecting Cap would be a no go for me unfortunately.

I decided to focus my efforts on Deadpool. Complete opposite from Rogers but Wade Wilson was fun to play in the Ultimate Alliance games and that drew me into him. After going through some private messages with some collectors here who wanted to sell some CGC Deadpool titles, I had to pass on this collecting also. At the time I wasn't financially stable enough to start collecting anyone really so I abandoned ship and forgot about comic books and collecting.

02/05/2016

Fast forward to now.

I have a MUCH better job than I did when I first joined. It gives me some wiggle room with starting up a hobby. Still not enough to buy a Captain America #1 but maybe one day! I could at least start buying some Cap lots on eBay though!

In the last month I had a friend lend me the Deluxe Hardcover Edition of Saga. I asked him about the series after seeing it was an Eisner Award Winner and that IGN named it their Series of 2015 or something to that extent. It was also their 2014 Series also, so back to back wins in that category. I became a little curious about a series regarded that highly, regardless of what I think about IGN for the most part, and figured I would ask my comic book buddy.

I started reading the book on a Friday night and couldn't put it down. I became hooked INSTANTLY. After I finished it up I jumped to the trade paperback he also lent me. I had both books read by Saturday evening and immediately jumped back and read them all again, twice in one weekend! I asked my buddy if he had any single issues for sale and he said no, just the trades.

He sent me to Midtown Comics website and I immediately got on and grabbed 20-32, all the back issues they had, in addition to 13B. I then jumped on eBay and started looking for 1-19. I found a 2-20 lot and used a MasterCard gift card I received for Christmas and used the full amount on that lot to ensure I won it and I did. Now I'm left with finding #1 raw, currently working on that with a member now, to complete my raw run. lol

While searching for the raw issues I did come across a good deal on a couple of CGC 9.8 copies of #22 and #23 on eBay for $50 shipped and nabbed them up. I have also picked up a 9.8 SS (Vaughn and Staples) #1 first print thanks to a member on here! I have also signed up for a 9.8 subscription from BeachBum and also got a few back issues (16, 17, and 32) he had around. So I have gotten off to a good start on the CGC run.

See more journals by The First Avenger

You had me at Cap, I was still hanging on with Deadpool, and then you lost me with Saga. I'm a huge Steve Rogers fan and I love the Silver and Bronze Age...although after watching the 75th Anniversary of Cap special on TV a few weeks ago before the Peggy Carter Agent of SHIELD season premiere I really want at least 1 Cap book from the Golden Age. Copper books aren't bad, but to me there aren't a lot of Modern books worth chasing in high grade. Some of the stories are good and I know there are some low print runs and variants which some collectors are drawn to, it's just not my thing. If I'm going to pursue a collection in high grade it's gotta be those Silver/Bronze issues of a character I love...and then of course reading copies or trades so I can enjoy the stories as well. You do have me intrigued with Saga though so I may have to pick up a TPB one of these days and check it out. In any event, best of luck on your collecting goals!

You do have me intrigued with Saga though so I may have to pick up a TPB one of these days and check it out. In any event, best of luck on your collecting goals!

Saga is a must-read, even if you have no interest in collecting it. TPB #1 is only $9.99, too!

I can get behind collecting it, though, because the covers are gorgeous!