• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conan Questions

24 posts in this topic

I never understand why people stand in line then when the person says can I help you THEN they start looking at the menu on the wall.

Likewise I never understand people saying I have a question then hit the road.

Idea: wait till you're ready to post your question, then start your thread.....

I'm not a Conan expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night ;)

I'm not an expert either but I do like to crush my enemies, see them driven before me and hear the lamentations of their women.

Hehehe, true story here:

One day at work, the manager of the branch/my boss was talking about some corporate initiative to improve general morale in some program to make life better for all employees through participation in exercise and discussion and stuff. It didn't last long, but on the first day we had an hour long meeting about it, with all employees in attendance, about 35 people.

She went around the room asking for employee feedback on various issues/ points of discussion.

I am not kidding here, but when she got to me she said:

"Karl, what is best in life?"

Without skipping a beat I said ( in my best Arnold doing Conan voice):

"to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."

One other guy in the meeting started laughing. Everyone else looked at me like I was a crazy man. I said "I guess not to many of you have seen that movie..."

I will never forget the look on the face on my boss though, priceless.

Conan #1

It is a brief telling of his tale and then the book jumps into action.

The movie has an origin story also so if you like that you can pick up Conan the Barbarian movie special 1+2 from 1982. It was also available in magazine format in Marvel super special 21

There is also a brief telling of his tale and of his rise to power in King Conan #1

I think Conan #1 is exactly correct, as far as the OP would be concerned.

That's the one you want, STL Spidey.

You may have heard that there was more to it, so maybe that's making you overthink it. But as far as comics go, #1 is your all-in-one origin/1st appearance.

Conan first appeared in comics in 1950s & 1960s in the unlicensed Mexican comic La Reina de la Costa Negra (“The Queen of the Black Coast”) which was loosely based on the adventures of Belit and heavily influenced by the Viking Prince (see Unlicensed Versions).

Conan's first official appearance in comics was in Conan the Barbarian #1 published in 1970 by Marvel Comics. There are two long running licensed comic book Conan chronologies. The first being the Marvel Comics chronology which includes Howard pastiches by other non-comic book writers, and which came to a close in 1995; and the second being the Dark Horse Comics chronology which excludes Howard pastiches by other writers which was begun in 2004, ran concurrently with the Marvel title for four years, and continues to the present (see Alternate Chronologies & Howard Pastiches).

http://www.comicvine.com/conan/4005-2438/

I know Dark Horse did a few min series are they any good?

You might like the Dark Horse 'Conan : Born on the Battlefield' trade paperback, which collects together the issues featuring stories about Conan's early life.

In effect, an extended origin story and the sort of material you're looking for.