• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigrees

43 posts in this topic

I think I have 2 or 3 Spokane books and about a dozen River City books around. I scanned a few a month or so ago and posted them in the 'Raw Pedigree Books' thread. I'll dig up some info and post more later this week.

-Mike

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

As I recall, Metropolis Comics is largely responsible for finding the Spokane Pedigree. Around 97 or so, an article was listed in the Comics Buyers Guide describing the story behind this find as well as a list of available books. I promptly purchased a few of them at what was very resonable prices (near guide).

Yeah, I believe I also remember this ad if my memory serves me right. I called Steve up right away and asked about the Atomic War #1 only to find out that it was long gone. frown.gif

Pretty well didn't bother with the rest of the books after that since they were generally only 50's stuff that I didn't really had to have in my collection. foreheadslap.gif

As I recall, Metropolis Comics is largely responsible for finding the Spokane Pedigree. Around 97 or so, an article was listed in the Comics Buyers Guide describing the story behind this find as well as a list of available books. I promptly purchased a few of them at what was very resonable prices (near guide).

Yeah, I believe I also remember this ad if my memory serves me right. I called Steve up right away and asked about the Atomic War #1 only to find out that it was long gone. frown.gif

Pretty well didn't bother with the rest of the books after that since they were generally only 50's stuff that I didn't really had to have in my collection. foreheadslap.gif

What's a lou fine guy want with all those icky 50s books anyway?

You're much better off without them. In fact, if you have any you've haven't yet unloaded, I'd be willing to take them off your hands. devil.gif

From what I gathered from several fellow collectors, the River City collection ended up being split between the Tin Soldier on eBay, Ed Jaster, and Brian Peets of A-1 comics. I remember those same Tin Soldier auctions you mentioned on eBay ( circa the late 90s). I can remember he had at least five Strange Tales up for sale, #7, 16, 19, 21, and 26. I was fortunate to have won the #26, and it turned out to be a beautiful comic, maybe the best of my whole Strange Tales run. These auctions are etched in my memory as they were the first in which I saw the prices skyrocket within the last few minutes as Cougar85 and AlphaOmega (didn't know it was him at the time) slugged it out.

Sounds like you did well. I wasn't ebayer at that so missed out on what must have been some really nice books.

That ST 26 you got sounds cool! Feel free to post away!

One other thing I remember about the River City Pedigree is that there was a portion of the comics that were water damaged. Those ones make you want to cry, as they are just about perfect in every way except for being water logged or othwerise water damaged.

The thoughts expressed on the River City pedigree jibe with what I've been able to learn about it. My River City copy of Mysterious Adventures #21 is a beauty NM- with a small arrival date in blue ballpoint; it was bought from a collector on eBay in 2000 who had bought it from Brian Peets.

From Ed Jaster in the late '90s, I bought an MD #5 River City that is basically an unread VF-NM with the more familiar grease pencil arrival date.

Fortunately for me, neither book has any moisture exposure. Now as for some of the Northford books, the two Voodoos I have from that collection would make you cry, they are SO nice otherwise - #3 and 16.

From what I gathered from several fellow collectors, the River City collection ended up being split between the Tin Soldier on eBay, Ed Jaster, and Brian Peets of A-1 comics. I remember those same Tin Soldier auctions you mentioned on eBay ( circa the late 90s). I can remember he had at least five Strange Tales up for sale, #7, 16, 19, 21, and 26. I was fortunate to have won the #26, and it turned out to be a beautiful comic, maybe the best of my whole Strange Tales run. These auctions are etched in my memory as they were the first in which I saw the prices skyrocket within the last few minutes as Cougar85 and AlphaOmega (didn't know it was him at the time) slugged it out.

Well, I did a bit of digging but didn't find all of the info that I hoped to find. I used to keep a notebook handy and I would write down all of the comics I was bidding on along with some prices. I found the note book but had long since torn out the page that had the River City books written on it frown.gif

LordThanos - your memory serves you well. I remember that Strange Tales #16 very well as I had never seen that "beheading" cover before. I bid aggressively on that issue especially but lost it to cougar85. I recall seeing some of the other Strange Tales as well as several Journey Into Mysterys (#14 sticks in my mind) as well as several issues of Mystic, Journey into Unknown Worlds and a good run of Marvel Mystery Tales from #99 to #124 or so. Back then, my ebay account was different as I had a different ISP but I'm impressed that you also rember cougar85.

I did find the names of the two ebay dealers that I bought River City books from. One was 'tinsoldier' and the other was 'erhanson'. I see that tinsoldier is still active on ebay. What I remember the most about these books was that one of the above two sellers would list these books as 'NM'. When I saw pre-code horror listed as 'NM', I was very skeptical, even in the early days. I recall bidding on several early issues of Mystic (Atlas) and then worrying that I would win them all (5 or 6 issues). My bids were around $100 each and much to my relief, I was outbid in the last few minutes. My attitude changed once I managed to get my hands on a few of these issues.

I did resell some of my lower grade River City books on ebay back in 1998. I recall selling an Out of this World #8, Mystic (Atlas) #55 and one other early 50's book with a purple cover that was ???? Shadows #1 (can't recall full title).

Here are two of the River City books that I still have in my collection:

Unknown.JPG

House.JPG

As far as the Spokane Pedigree goes, I dug through my remaining 50 or so CBG issues and was dismayed to leanr that I tossed the issue out that ran the article and ad on this collection. I had intended to keep this issue as I purchased two of these book but under my wife's constant nagging, I threw out a few hundred of the CBG's I had lying around some years ago. As a consolation, here's an image of the Spokane copy of Suspense #20:

Suspense2.JPG

Really nice copies of those books!

It's cool to see images of the comics and hear the stories behind how you got them!

My files are disorganized or I'd have posted the Spokane CBG ad -- I didn't save the article. I'll keep looking, unless someone else posts first.

How did you decide which two to get?

Really nice copies of those books!

It's cool to see images of the comics and hear the stories behind how you got them!

My files are disorganized or I'd have posted the Spokane CBG ad -- I didn't save the article. I'll keep looking, unless someone else posts first.

You would make my month if you posted the ad. I've been reluctant to search my CBG's as I'm fairly certain I discarded that issue. Better yet, does anybody know what issue the Spokane article & ad appeared in? I'd like to track down a copy some day.

How did you decide which two to get?

At the time I was just starting my search for high grade copies of the Atlas Suspense title. I had zero copies after a year of searching and as soon as I saw the Spokane ad, I knew I had to buy at least one. If I recall correctly, there were a half dozen or so issues of Suspense listed. The two that I bought were listed at a little over guide which I considered a bargain.

I'll scan a few more of the Spokane & River City books I have this weekend and post them. Maybe I'll even tell the story of how I recently bought an original owner collection and got a copy of Weird Fanatasy #13 (#1) for $0.92!

I'm pretty sure I know what folder it's in, now if I can just find that folder...

I re-double my efforts this weekend.

I'll scan a few more of the Spokane & River City books I have this weekend and post them. Maybe I'll even tell the story of how I recently bought an original owner collection and got a copy of Weird Fanatasy #13 (#1) for $0.92!

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

This is a photo copy of the ad (all I could find).

I've broken it up into 4 pieces in order that it might be legible.

771419-SpokaneAd1_1.jpg

771419-SpokaneAd1_1.jpg.7373c223286ee798bcea23859cb87e78.jpg

I

s

T

h

a

t

B

e

t

t