• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stats and Restoration Gordon Christman

16 posts in this topic

Dear All,

I think many people have used him but Gordon says he is ready for more work and is looking for pieces to restore or add stats to.

He does a great job; he takes his time (it can be a few months) but the end result has been very good; one example of mine being my Moon Knight 2 cover where he added the background stats and really IMHO made the cover pop

Moon Knight 2 Cover

Anyway, here is his contact info if you want to try him

GORDON G. CHRISTMAN

RESTORATION & CONSERVATION

330 SOUTH HORNE STREET APT L

OCEANSIDE CA 92054

1-760 458 2290

ggc2k@hotmail.com

Joe

Dear All,

I think many people have used him but Gordon says he is ready for more work and is looking for pieces to restore or add stats to.

He does a great job; he takes his time (it can be a few months) but the end result has been very good; one example of mine being my Moon Knight 2 cover where he added the background stats and really IMHO made the cover pop

Moon Knight 2 Cover

Anyway, here is his contact info if you want to try him

GORDON G. CHRISTMAN

330 SOUTH HORNE STREET APT L

OCEANSIDE CA 92054

1-760 458 2290

ggc2k@hotmail.com

Joe

Your MK cover came out great. I've gone an early one too that's just art, no trade dress, been thinking of doing the same for(ever). Probably should get off my butt and just do it! Thanks for the inspiration :)

How much does it cost to recreate and put back some missing word balloons on a page ?

To be honest it was so long ago I dont remember and I was having lots of things done so it was sort of the total price is this...

But, generally what I do is send him an image of the art, then of the comic and say make these things look the same! Then he says how long and how much, you send the art AND a copy of the comic (raw of course) and a deposit.

I did think about sending him something for restoration but ended up using someone else as a trial.

I know he also did this one, which is amazing

Adams Action Mandel

If anyone is interested in alternative restorers, here's my standard answer on that subject.

In the many threads on paper conservation, the names that recur the most were:

• Robert Dennis

[*]Gordon Christman

• ggc2k@hotmail.com
    • Gordon doesn't seem to have a web presence, but his snail mail address and phone number are:
      GORDON G. CHRISTMAN
      330 SOUTH HORNE STREET #L
      OCEANSIDE CA 92054
      TEL: 760 439 7970
      CEL: 760 458 2290

[*]Tracey Heft - Eclipse Paper

trace@eclipsepaper.com

http://www.eclipsepaper.com

I would add that most major museums know of paper conservators. You might want to contact someone at a local museum and see if there is a conservator close to you.

--

Thx Alex.

Anyone have any experience sending any of them paintings?

Gordon seemed knowledgeable about it and I do have one I plan to send to him, but curious about the other guys too if anyone has any experiences.

Paintings?

I'd talk to the museums in your area, get some names, and interview.

I don't know, I appreciate the input, but I'm skeptical of that route. Perhaps for older fine art, oil on canvas kind of stuff, which is what you're probably thinking of, but I'm not sure I'd trust them to know a darn thing about 80s/90s commercial illustrations which are typically a mix of airbrush and traditional brush on illustration board.

In my case, I'm not looking to mess with the art anyways. This is getting too specific to the particular piece, but it got wet and the board is warped and ugly. Looking to skim off the top layer of the illo board, flatten, and reattach to new board. Gordon seemed totally on top of it, but that was on the phone, obviously I've no experience with it, but I'd trust him more based on that convo than some schmuck at a museum who has no concept of commercial illustration.

I can tell you that I once had a cover on DC cover stock. Drawn on 2 ply Strathmore. It had severe water damage. Then it was glued down to a matte board with Elmers. I got the matte board off in pieces. I had toyed with the idea of removing the 2nd layer of Strathmore but then I didn't know what to do next. I eventually sold the art to Albert.

The next time I saw it, it was "restored". The back layer of Strathmore was removed and pressed. Then attached to a new piece of board. It looked great. Except the Comics Code Authority stamp was missing since it was on the back layer. Albert told me the work was done by Gordon Christman. Supposedly it wasn't cheap. But I guess it was worth it to Albert.

Just FYI

This is getting too specific to the particular piece, but it got wet and the board is warped and ugly. Looking to skim off the top layer of the illo board, flatten, and reattach to new board.

Ah I wouldn't be too sure about immediately rejecting museum or independent fine art conservators. Contemporary training/certification should include your project, fine art long ago moved past "oils on canvas". As with anything, do your homework.

Gordon may be fine. I don't have a reason to think he wouldn't be. But you should be asking if he's worked on this sort of project before, not just the support (illustration board) but the medium too (airbrush). And then specifically skimming too. Maybe even ask for photographic samples. These are the questions for anybody, not just Gordon. If he hasn't - find somebody (anybody, anywhere) who has! Then figure out the best experience:price ratio that gives you peace of mind :)

This is getting too specific to the particular piece, but it got wet and the board is warped and ugly. Looking to skim off the top layer of the illo board, flatten, and reattach to new board.

Ah I wouldn't be too sure about immediately rejecting museum or independent fine art conservators. Contemporary training/certification should include your project, fine art long ago moved past "oils on canvas". As with anything, do your homework.

Gordon may be fine. I don't have a reason to think he wouldn't be. But you should be asking if he's worked on this sort of project before, not just the support (illustration board) but the medium too (airbrush). And then specifically skimming too. Maybe even ask for photographic samples. These are the questions for anybody, not just Gordon. If he hasn't - find somebody (anybody, anywhere) who has! Then figure out the best experience:price ratio that gives you peace of mind :)

I agree and wish I'd said it as well.

Joe, are the new stats on your Moon Knight cover mounted directly to the art or on a acetate overlay? I was just wondering if you had to send the artwork to Mr. Christman or just provide a high resolution scan?