• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When the Comic Promotional Ad Gets You Salivating More Than The Book You Own!

54 posts in this topic

As I was preparing my website to go live and scanning in much of my inventory, I noticed some of the great ads in the books I have which promoted forthcoming issues. And I could not help but think that sometimes I would prefer to have the book in the ad rather than the book the ad was in!!!

The lightbulb then went on! This could make for an interesting thread (and hopefully my neglect to search the boards for a similar topic did not result in merely duplicating someone else's brillant idea!).

So, I thought I would start off with two examples. Of course, since most of my key PA/GA books are CGC'd, I'm afraid I will have to primarily display back covers. But that is my problem so please don't hesitate to include ads from within a book.

More Fun Comics #19 advertising Detective #1. No contest on which I prefer!

756291-More-Fun-19---Back.jpg

Green Lantern #2 advertising Action #45, Flash #26, Adventure #71, Star Spangled Comics #5, Detective #60, All-American Comics # 35, More Fun Comics #76 and highlighting Sensation Comics #2

756292-Green-Lantern-2---Back.jpg

Great idea for a thread, Mark! I had considered this myself once, while going thru some books as well. The ads for other comics coming out tickle me. I was posting some Fight Comics I had recently gotten and, while looking thru them, noticed an ad for Planet Comics # 1,.........well I had the same thoughts you are having,....wish I had THAT book! Christo_pull_hair.gif27_laughing.gif

Mark,

Lets see the front of that GL #2. I have always liked that cover!

Darren Smith

Darren, happy to oblige. So as not to distract or derail this topic from its chosen course (as so commonly seems to occur in the General Section, yeesh), I've posted the cover in the Cigar thread.

Wow, that Down With Crime ad is really vivid. Thanks for posting that.

You often find cool DC house ads inside cheap DC GA funny animal books. Sometimes you'll get a black and white one-page Superboy (or others) PSA too.

We had a Jungle Comics #2 a year ago and I was struck by the house ad. All kinds of early Fiction House including Planet #1 or #2.

Cheers,

Marc

Let's keep this thread going! I too love those old "house ads" introducing a new title/issue in GA comics. It takes you back to a time when that title didn't even exist...plus, some of them are pretty unintentionally funny! That ad for Detective 1 is fantastic. ("Swelegant"???) And I really, really like how they felt compelled to add "This Is Half Actual Size of Cover" under the Detective 1 cover reproduction...after all, comic books were pretty much a brand-new concept, and it makes sense that they didn't want kids looking out for a pocket-sized comic! My Detective 39 has a house ad for Batman #1 with similar wording next to the Batman #1 cover reproduction, so even a few years later they were still worried about this kind of thing.

Here's a nice house ad promoting Suspense Comics #1, along with Catman and Captain Aero...this is the back page of a coverless Catman issue. The lettering on "Suspense" here is quite stylish I think...this would have made a great logo too. And how about that text! I'm guessing that whoever cranked out this ad probably didn't even know what the contents of Suspense were going to be...

catmanback.jpg

not so much "salivating", but i always find it fun when some $3 reader copy of some comic from the 40s or 50s has a Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Stan Meusial, WIllie Mays, etc. (and, to a lesser extent, Phil RIzzuto!) ad on the back. These really should get a boost, but the comic people often ignore them and the baseball collectors have so much other stuff to chase it may not always be on their radaar.

alas, most of my GA books seem to have tootsie roll ads on the back.. oh well.

Great ads Shield. Can you kindly edit each of them to indicate what book they can be found in? Thanks!

Keep em coming guys!!! yay.gif

Jon Berk and AdamStrange, surely you must have some ad beauts from the awesome collections you have!!!! poke2.gif

Great ads Shield. Can you kindly edit each of them to indicate what book they can be found in? Thanks!

Keep em coming guys!!! yay.gif

Jon Berk and AdamStrange, surely you must have some ad beauts from the awesome collections you have!!!! poke2.gif

Maybe. But I'm not cracking the spine on a comic to scan it! poke2.gif

There are some very nice DC ads for some first issues in the early DC SA. What I particularly like about them is that they have art by the original artist that is more than just a reproduction of the cover.

I'll check a few back covers to see what I can come up with.