• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When the Comic Promotional Ad Gets You Salivating More Than The Book You Own!

54 posts in this topic

Here's a house ad from FLASH COMICS #45. I love those Comic Cavalcade's!

756861-scan0019.jpg

Here's a better look at that cover then, since you like it... wink.gif

cc3.jpg

893whatthe.gif

hail.gif

Thanks for all the great ads, folks! I really like those MLJ ones. Similar to the ad Shield posted with Shield meeting the Wizard, I have a Pep 18 (I think?) with a full-page ad where the Hangman is meeting all the other characters from Pep Comics. MLJ was really into those "characters meeting other characters" ads, weren't they?

Now here's one that really, really gets me salivating! From my official "point five" copy of Action 18, here's a full-page ad advertising NY World's Fair 1939 and Superman 2...

nyworldsfair.jpg

768102-nyworldsfair2.gif.a1b2f283a6f613a156e2ca62c521f141.gif

(...and hey, I just noticed something...on the original NY World's Fair Comics '39 cover, the colorist goofed and gave Superman blond hair...but in this ad, which was presumably colored from scratch, they've "fixed" it!)

Two more promotional ads. These are from More Fun #118 (1946), a copy of which I just obtained. The books in the ads are certainly not key, but worth more than the book I found the ad in!

801334-MoreFun118ad1.jpg

801335-MoreFun118ad2.jpg

Anyone have a sense of when comics stopped including promotional ads for specific other comics?

hey mark, do you have the house ad for action 1 in more fun?

Off the top of my head I don't recall which issue that is in, but even if I do have it, all but #118 and #120 of my More Funs (which except for the two I just mentioned and #78 that I just bought are in my Special Collections section on the site) are CGC'd.