• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Highest grade possible with missing piece of a page?

14 posts in this topic

Highest grade possible with a large missing piece of a page (without resorting to a green label)?

I thought if a large chunk was missing from a page, the highest grade you could get was a 1.0. But, I see from this listing that apparently you can get a 6.0:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-49-CGC-6-0-OW-to-W-Pages-Blue-Label-Incomplete-Estate-Listing-/262276877699?hash=item3d10eb8d83%3Ag%3AIUAAAOSwqYBWmFjw&nma=true&si=482U48BZw4hdW8BJUTeNLH2M3l4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Was that a mistake? Did they mean to give that one a green label?

Highest grade possible with a large missing piece of a page (without resorting to a green label)?

Provided that you're asking about our host's system (and that the missing piece is large enough to render the book INCOMPLETE), the short answer is CGC 0.5 PR -- with a couple of well-defined exceptions:

• The NG designation for coverless books is a relatively new addition to CGC’s arsenal. In the early years, CGC assigned coverless books a grade of 0.5 PR.
  • In the old days, a clipped back cover coupon was generally deemed to be a less significant flaw than a clipped story panel or a missing page. It appears that CGC shares this philosophy: the grade of CGC 1.0 FR on the Captain America #6 shown below is consistent with old-school standards.

th_CaptainA06-10.jpg

That being said, there have been a relatively small number of "minor" outliers, including the four examples shown below. The grades on the Marvel Mystery #34 (CGC 1.0, SN 0915901014, graded 01-26-2012), World's Finest #3 (CGC 1.0, SN 0013728004, record deleted), X-Men #1 (CGC 1.0, SN 1028541001, graded 11-22-2010), and Action #17 (CGC 1.5, SN 0190070005, graded 04-03-2012) are difficult to understand. In each case, the missing piece (or pieces, in the case of the MMC #34 and WF #3) affects a story. Is it possible that the effect is relatively minor? Sure, although I don’t personally don’t regard three missing story panels as “minor”. Some collectors have stated that CGC's grading was a bit soft in early 2012, and that mega-keys sometimes receive special treatment. However, I have not seen enough evidence to support either of those claims.

th_MarvelMyst34-10.jpg th_WorldsFinest03-10.jpg th_XMen01-10.jpg th_Action17-15.jpg

There also have been a few "extreme" outliers, including the Detective Comics #40 (CGC 4.0, SN 1290420007, record deleted), Fantastic Four #49 (CGC 6.0, SN 0261964002, graded 07-14-2015), and X-Men #8 (CGC 6.0, SN 1156931003, graded 03-10-2014) shown below. My suspicion is that each of these books should have received qualified grades -- that these are all cases where the CGC grader checked the wrong box, the encapsulation staff simply followed the grader's instructions, and the QA/QC staff missed an obvious inconsistency in CGC's well-established grading standards. The Detective #40 and X-Men #8 were auctioned by Heritage, so I think it's fair to state that a third error was made (by the HA staff) in each of those cases. The fact that CGC has deleted the Detective #40 record suggests to me that this particular whiff was eventually caught and resolved.

th_ZI-Det-40-40.jpg th_ZI-FF-49-60.jpg th_ZI-XM-08-60.jpg

I hope this helps. :foryou:

Harry slabbed his OO copy of JIM 83..... it had a piece missing that was about the size of half a silver dollar from an interior page that didn't affect the story. The book seemed to be at least an 8.0 otherwise, and received a 6.5. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It was blue label with no label notation IIRC...... The book had some pictures and scans posted somewhere in the past thread jungle..... not sure where. I wanted it badly but couldn't swing it.... I love books like that...... high grade with interior or bc problems that drive the price down. Harry's JIM isn't a good example of these type of books.... I mainly included it to show that moderate chunks missing, even without really affecting the story, will drop the grade. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I've seen a half-dozen or so certified books that were either punched for a ring binder or removed from a bound volume. None of the examples I've seen were deemed INCOMPLETE or awarded a Universal (Blue Label) grade higher than CGC 3.0. I'd love to see scans that show exceptions to this rule.

Jimbo, do you recall if the label deemed the book INCOMPLETE?

I'm Harry and the JIM 83 was not deemed to be incomplete. As Jimbo stated, I recall that the missing piece did not affect the artwork.

I was always bummed because it was an otherwise 8.0 (IMHO), but years later before I sold it, I noticed a long horizontal crease on the BC that was not easily seen.

So it would appear that in that instance, the missing piece reduced the grade by a maximum of one full point.

In over 13 years on this board I don't believe I've ever ventured here before and today I find my name being mentioned - go figure...(and now I have a question to ask in a new thread).

Bumping this thread with another example...I just posted complete scans of this book (a Vault of Horror #17 - LINK ) in the PGM thread, but wanted to use this example to ask the general question here, as well...it fits in this thread.

Overstreet grading guidelines discuss the effect of missing triangles from the COVER, but make no mention of same on interior pages.

So, I have this book with a missing 1" corner triangle on the 6th interior page, which doesn't affect the artwork/story. For the sake of general discussion, how do you suppose this defect alone would affect 1) an otherwise 'high grade'ish" book, 2) and otherwise 'mid grade'ish book, and 3) an otherwise 'low grade'ish book?

Thoughts are appreciated...

voh17b_i6.jpg

No missing story so I wouldn't kill it to much,but it would be down graded.I can see a 3.5/4.0 and without it maybe a 4.5/5.0 but who the heck knows nowadays (thumbs u