• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay X-men 94 from CGC 4.5 to raw 9.0

66 posts in this topic

eBay is full of scam artists.

so is this place

Not full but we have our share.

That's why I keep my own list of great sellers on the boards, never been buffaloed yet.With the guys I buy from I never will.

yep he gets to disagree.... but are you saying you agree with his assessment of that book as a VF/NM copy?

I know he makes a point to say "in my opinion" which is always an eBay red flag to me, but when your opinion is that far out of line with a reputable grader, do you think its just a difference of opinion, or an attempt to deceive the buyer about the condition (and therefor the value) of the book?

I'm not saying I agree with him - I rarely buy so-called high grade unslabbed on eBay any more for obvious reasons, but he takes a different opinion to CGC, and he gets threats for it ?

At the end of the day, you're paying CGC for their opinion - it's the most trusted one out there, but how many times have people posted books on here and said "that looks way better", or taken the opposite view ?

If someone buys the book, they'll either be happy with it or they won't - it's not like the guy's selling PLODS as blues.

You assume he was threatened because he says so. But we aren't privy to the emails he's received. And his idea of "threatening" may be intentionally exaggerated in an attempt to garner sympathy for himself.

The "threatening emails" may have been nothing more than "I'm gonna report you!" or "I'll post this intentional deception on every comic book forum I'm a member of." And his comment of "Someone even asked me where I lived!" might be true in as a:

"Hey, where do you live? I'd like to see it in person before buying. If local, can I pick it up to save shipping?" or it could be completely fabricated.

When I want to beat the out of someone, I don't send them an email "Uh....hey. where do you and your family live? I want to beat the out of you in front of your kid." That's retarded!

If you're getting death threats because you mis-grade your comics, you must REALLY be bad at grading comics and should consider another line of work.

-Terry

yep he gets to disagree.... but are you saying you agree with his assessment of that book as a VF/NM copy?

I know he makes a point to say "in my opinion" which is always an eBay red flag to me, but when your opinion is that far out of line with a reputable grader, do you think its just a difference of opinion, or an attempt to deceive the buyer about the condition (and therefor the value) of the book?

I'm not saying I agree with him - I rarely buy so-called high grade unslabbed on eBay any more for obvious reasons, but he takes a different opinion to CGC, and he gets threats for it ?

At the end of the day, you're paying CGC for their opinion - it's the most trusted one out there, but how many times have people posted books on here and said "that looks way better", or taken the opposite view ?

If someone buys the book, they'll either be happy with it or they won't - it's not like the guy's selling PLODS as blues.

I think the key issue is that he is free to have a different opinion from CGC but he completely covered up the fact that they had previously graded it a 4.5. Had he said something like "This was graded by CGC as a 4.5 but in my opinion it is a VF/NM book" there would likely be no issue.

eBay is full of scam artists.

so is this place

Not full but we have our share.

That's why I keep my own list of great sellers on the boards, never been buffaloed yet.With the guys I buy from I never will.

I have done business on the Boards and have never been fooled. (shrug) On ebay I have been tricked a few times...Honestly for big time keys just use the major auction houses or people you already know and trust.

Oakman is right. Get a list of great sellers and you will be fine.

Failing to disclose a major defect is the problem here. You or I may not downgrade a book as much as CGC does for staining, but if its present then you either need to disclose it or assign the book a grade where the defect is to be understood as a possibility. If I'm blind buying a 9.0 book I'm not expecting to find any stains when I receive it. The guy clearly is not new to selling comics or CGC so ignorance isn't really an excuse here.

The part most people seem to forget is that lower grade books are actually easier to identify by distinguishing marks. If somebody cracked open a 9+ book, I highly doubt I could identify individual copies.

We've identified CGC 9.6 books that have been cracked, pressed and regradded as 9.8. The wonders of high res scans.

:o OldGuy appearance? What is this? 2004? Can we get an obligatory "go fist yourself" somewhere in the thread even if it's not strictly necessary for someone to fist themselves?

The people have spoken. They've demanded a GFY. Make it happen, OG.

Failing to disclose a major defect is the problem here. You or I may not downgrade a book as much as CGC does for staining, but if its present then you either need to disclose it or assign the book a grade where the defect is to be understood as a possibility. If I'm blind buying a 9.0 book I'm not expecting to find any stains when I receive it. The guy clearly is not new to selling comics or CGC so ignorance isn't really an excuse here.

Yes, very true - if staining is obvious he does need to disclose it, after all, if the customer finds something he doesn't like that's not mentioned, the seller should expect a prompt return.

I think the key issue is that he is free to have a different opinion from CGC but he completely covered up the fact that they had previously graded it a 4.5. Had he said something like "This was graded by CGC as a 4.5 but in my opinion it is a VF/NM book" there would likely be no issue.

I agree, if he also said the book could use a press and clean that would also go a long way. That book is deceiving for sure, so I can see both sides of the issue, but the seller didn't quite handle it correctly.

Heck, even if he says the book was a 4.5 and he doesn't agree with it and that it'd be a good press and clean candidate that would clear him of the douchebaggery, wouldn't it?

Jerome

The part most people seem to forget is that lower grade books are actually easier to identify by distinguishing marks. If somebody cracked open a 9+ book, I highly doubt I could identify individual copies.

We've identified CGC 9.6 books that have been cracked, pressed and regradded as 9.8. The wonders of high res scans.

:o OldGuy appearance? What is this? 2004? Can we get an obligatory "go fist yourself" somewhere in the thread even if it's not strictly necessary for someone to fist themselves?

The people have spoken. They've demanded a GFY. Make it happen, OG.

ironfist.jpg

Two in the pink, one in the stink.

I was thinking the exact same thing...glad to see him posting again...:cool:

Regarding the notion of avoiding eBay sellers because of these sorts of problems i.e. soft grading/deceptive practices....there are still tight graders on ebay who know how to grade and do so conservatively....and who also know how ship comics securely.

Good sellers are not only relegated, and magically found, on this board.

Here is a prime example, a book offered on eBay by a friend of mine, who is NOT a boardie.

This FF 45 was listed on eBay at a $139.99 BIN shipped, by said friend, who I partner up with at shows.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-45-1965-1st-App-The-Inhumans-GD-VG-Stan-Lee-Jack-Kirby-/231836740697?hash=item35fa8bec59%3Ag%3AVYUAAOSwoydWtNfU&nma=true&si=ltKw6Uwdmd21jWMOTmVkcduFadg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I've known the guy for about 20 years.I'll be splitting 2 tables with him at Big Apple in 2 weeks.He grades strictly and if anything, he is a little bit *too* tight.

He sold this FF 45 at a small show in Clifton to a flipper and he pulled it from eBay.

My partner ( chestercopperpot on eBay) had the book graded at GD/VG in the title of the listing and in the description he wrote:

"Book Grades: GD+ 2.5 or better."

That is exactly how I would grade this book....it is at the very worst, a GD+....I'd be confident putting that book up as a solid GD/VG.

I happened across the book posted for sale on Facebook as a "VG", the very same book that my partner sold to the flipper at the show a week or two ago.See the second link for the book.

https://www.facebook.com/dome.comics/

https://www.facebook.com/dome.comics/photos/a.1017729524925615.1073741830.752413044790599/1072043549494212/?type=3&theater

Said flipper had this "VG" book priced at $150.

The book is now listed as "SOLD" on FB.

I guess this thread is official now.. obligatory name drop of what show CAK is setting up at next achievement unlocked! :whee:

Note that the book WAS NOT MY BOOK,It belonged to a friend of mine, whom I co-own a GRAND TOTAL OF ZERO BOOKS with.

He is my partner at the bigger shows I set up at, because I can't do a show like Big Apple alone. share expenses at shows (booth,hotel,van rental,gas,tolls)

he didn't mention books he has waiting to be graded though

I guess this thread is official now.. obligatory name drop of what show CAK is setting up at next achievement unlocked! :whee:

CAK-O-RAMA get your tickets now!

Cak-a-polooza

CAK-opolis

The names almost make themselves

Yeah, I saw this coming, I'm ready for the detractors.

Note that the book WAS NOT MY BOOK,It belonged to a friend of mine, whom I co-own a GRAND TOTAL OF ZERO BOOKS with.

He is my partner at the bigger shows I set up at, because I can't do a show like Big Apple alone. share expenses at shows (booth,hotel,van rental,gas,tolls)....he regularly sells books that are graded so tightly, they are undergraded.

When we set up, he will have his 8 seet of table space and his 6 foot wall, and I will have my 8 feet of table space + 6 foot wall....we are completely seperate.

I do not grade like my friend grades, which surely is beneficial to the buyer and IMHO, hurts the seller.

I grade a book according to what I feel a book would grade out if subbed to CGC.I do not undergrade books to get repeat customers, like he does.

So yeah, I stated that MY PARTNER WHO GRADES TIGHTER THAN I DO, will be set up with me at Big Apple...to help some serious collectors who are looking to buy raw books at fair prices.He also does NOT press his books and BARELY ever has any books graded.

I dry clean/press any a lot of my own books, any books I have graded, I generally will dry clean/press. all of them.

Based on that info, anyone who hits our tables will look at my PARTNER'S wall books, before looking at mine.

The whole point of my post was twofold:

1)

To illustrate there are STAND UP DEALERS out there on ebay, who do not post on this board.

2)

To help promote my partner's tightly graded books and to let boardies know that he is a good guy to deal with., if you're buying off eBay or if you come to Big Apple in March.

What ? Someone with questionable ethics is commenting on an ethical situation ? Fascinating .

Tell me specifically WHY my ethics are questionable.

I have NEVER cheated nor deceived a buyer of mine in an eBay listing or at a show or anywhere else.

I offer 14 day standard returns on eBay, that includes a refund of the original shipping price and I offer to REIMBURSE return shipping on raw books.

On slabbed books I offer the same return policy, but I will not refund shipping on slabbed books.

If I ever miss resto on a raw book that I sell and it's graded by CGC (or Voldemort) with any resto found....I will buy the book back at the full purchase price and cover all grading costs, original shipping and shipping to and from either one of the 2 reputable grading companies.

Attempted manipulation of GPA ring a bell ?

I am well familiar with that thread, believe me.

I did NOT attempt to manipulate GPA.

Read the thread again.

Ultimately, that thread resulted in the same CGC 9.8 Suicide Squad #1 that I sold via 3 day auction on eBay for around $250, and cancelled the sale (instantly refunded the buyer his money)......the book was subsequently given to a boardie (Shadroch) in his return for his $550 donation to woundedwarriorproject.org.

Board sales are NOT recorded on eBay, that was a stipulation of Shad agreeing to donate $550 to WWP.org in return for the book, that it be shipped to him and that he not buy it off ebay.....which I readily agreed to.

KPR also donated $1000 directly to WWP.org and a couple other boardies made $100 or so donations to WWP.org.

Sadly, in the past couple weeks...it turns out that WWP has serious corruption/mispending issues.

A couple weeks back I tried listing a cgc 9.6 copy via BIN with a 100% donation to WWP.

I then was told by Steve Borock via a faceBook posting I made to promote the sale about the WWP issues.

So, I ended that listing right quick and relisted it with 100% of the price being donated to HireHeroesUSA.org.....which I am for damn sure is a 100% legit charity.

Tried it out at a $225 BIN...dropped it to a $175 BIN....still hasn't sold so I will be putting it to 7 day auction, tomorrow.

It's one thing to go up 1, or maybe 2 notches if you truly disagree with CGC, but assuming we're talking the same grading language here as defined by Overstreet, it can't go from 4.5 to a 9.0. That's too big of a jump and ridiculous to even try. You're just asking for trouble and why take the risk over a few bills?