• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you give to upgrade from a 3.5 to a 7.0?

22 posts in this topic

Hey Folks!

Seeking some advice on a current opportunity that has came up.

I have the chance to upgrade my Amazing Spider-Man #1 CGC 3.5 to a CGC 7.0.

Obviously, it is a no brainer to upgrade right? However, what would you give based on current market prices to make this upgrade?

It looks like I will be able to do some trading to avoid spending out a ton of cash for the upgrade. It looks like I'm going to be letting go of a ton of key books to make this happen.

At the moment, here is my proposition, I would appreciate any advice on this trade to make sure I don't overpay or over trade! :)

My:

Amazing Spider-Man CGC Universal 3.5

Iron Man 55 CGC Signature Series (Stan Lee & Joe Sinnott) 9.0

Incredible Hulk 181 CGC Signature Series (Stan Lee, Len Wein, Herb Trimpe) 7.0

and some amount of cash.

How much cash would you offer on top of those books?

thanks and looking forward to everyone's opinion!

Without having seen the books, hard to judge. Personally, I'd rather own three keys than one key, although most here are constantly upgrading, and would side with you.

Are either of you trading on behalf of a business, or are you both collectors?

I will take a different approach. I don't think that an Iron Man 55 or even a Hulk 181 come close to how awesome an amazing Spiderman number 1 is. With that being said having a CGC 7.0 ASM number one would be something I would far rather have than the three books that you're going to have to give up for it.

That is kind of how I feel Silver.

Part of me says, "Hey, how often are you going to be able to snag a 7.0 copy of ASM #1?", but then my other half says "You already own ASM #1, just use those resources you would spend upgrading to get some other cool stuff and diversify the overall collection opposed to going all in on one book."

That's where I'm split

Do the trade, the bronze age books you have aren't high enough that you'll regret it later. There is a Stan Lee SS book in every comic shop. It's not how many keys you have, its the quality of those keys. Make sure the ASM 1 is well centered with good page quality and eye appeal. You'll never go wrong with an ASM 1 7.0, then start collecting the rest of the ASM run in 7.0+

Personally, I’d rather have the 3 keys, all of which I imagine are respectable looking without having seen them. Folks on both sides are putting forth good arguments, but if I didn’t have a good handle on the current market of all the books involved I wouldn’t make a trade like that. Are you up on current FMV and trending prices on all of them?

Hey Folks!

Obviously, it is a no brainer to upgrade right? However, what would you give based on current market prices to make this upgrade?

It looks like I will be able to do some trading to avoid spending out a ton of cash for the upgrade. It looks like I'm going to be letting go of a ton of key books to make this happen.

At the moment, here is my proposition, I would appreciate any advice on this trade to make sure I don't overpay or over trade! :)

My:

and some amount of cash.

The IH 181(SS) would be very difficult to replace..... if I was a big Wolvie fan it would give me pause. The ASM 1 is a book that sure looks good in grade, however. If Spidey was my primary focus, I'd consider it. It's hard to assess the trade from an investment standpoint..... but that doesn't motivate my decisions as much as it does for others. If the ASM has a lot of chipping, I'd pass on it personally. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

$8k difference between the two.

IM55 is a $1500 book

IH181 is an $1800+ book.

so that still leaves a little over $4K to make up with cash.

if its a good deal depends on how you feel about SS.

Personally if Im going to be invested in 10k+ worth of books, I'd rather then be universal, since they have wider markets should I need to sell them.

though I know common thought is that the lower grade keys have more upward mobility for value.

and I agree with Rob (rfoiii) I'd rather be $12k in on a lower grade AF15 than a higher grade ASM1

but you take the trades you can take... maybe down the road you find a ASM collector who likes the idea of a higher grade ASM 1 over his beater AF15.

Hey Folks!

My:

and some amount of cash.

I would do it IF I had a large ASM collection in higher grade. Also, if the IH 181 and the other book were Singleton books in my collection. I like to complete my sets. Having a single book, just to have it? Done that before. I usually end up selling anything I normally do not have a set of.

Ultimately like most have said, keep the comics. It's better to own quantity to have a nice big collection over a few. But it really depends on you.

It's all in what you like. Personally I would do the trade because I think the ASM1 is an amazing looking book and you could always get a lower grade IH181 for relatively cheap in comparison. I don't see any of the books going down in price, so either way investment wise I don't think you can go wrong. Good luck!