• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

top loaders, bags & boards
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Putting aside keys and more ($$$) valuable books which you could logically lean towards an E. Gerber Archives/Full back type combo.............

For the sake of general presentation or full runs etc. per my PM discussions with board members it seems many folks are content with M2/Half back type combo. Now to create a slab-like appearance you can place this combo in a top loader (I have heard extremely positive feedback on hotflips TLs).

I have also run into collectors who are going with M2 bags and top loaders with no back board. Hence a true slab appearance.

There are also closure clips you can get now for top loaders. Anyone using these and where do you get yours?

What kind of tape are you utilizing to seal your bags with?

I searched some previous threads over the last five years and found some great info in there but the threads were only a few pages long and no very recent discussion on top loaders and being able to seal or clip close the top opening.

Any thoughts or comments/discussion appreciated.

Putting aside keys and more ($$$) valuable books which you could logically lean towards an E. Gerber Archives/Full back type combo.............

For the sake of general presentation or full runs etc. per my PM discussions with board members it seems many folks are content with M2/Half back type combo. Now to create a slab-like appearance you can place this combo in a top loader (I have heard extremely positive feedback on hotflips TLs).

I have also run into collectors who are going with M2 bags and top loaders with no back board. Hence a true slab appearance.

There are also closure clips you can get now for top loaders. Anyone using these and where do you get yours?

I searched some previous threads over the last five years and found some great info in there but the threads were only a few pages long and no very recent discussion on top loaders and being able to seal or clip close the top opening.

Not answering your questions but,

if you are going to start doing this, I suggest having your own done for you. Contact a company that manufacturers this type of stuff and have them make you a bunch. it will be cheaper for you.

My more valuable comics that are raw are stored in mylite 2 ' s with full back boards inside toploaders. I don't bother with the top clips

This +1

I have been doing this combo for years, and it rocks!

Old pic, but all the books behind WWT#1 are protected the same way.

004-1.jpg

My more valuable comics that are raw are stored in mylite 2 ' s with full back boards inside toploaders. I don't bother with the top clips

This +1

004-1.jpg

What types of boxes do you guys use to store your toploaders?

Wow I never heard of top loader clips and now I need to buy 100 of them. Ugh

I found a great source that you can buy in 100 lots for only $25. These are 7 3/8" long so you might want your top loader to be at least that length or 7 1/2" would also pretty much line up flush as well.

This +1

004-1.jpg

What types of boxes do you guys use to store your toploaders?

If I had to guess based on spec measurements, my anticipation is they would fit great in a CGC box. Even the GA top loaders should fit in there at exterior dimensions of 8 1/8" ish X under 12"

This +1

004-1.jpg

:hi:

Not answering your questions but,

if you are going to start doing this, I suggest having your own done for you. Contact a company that manufacturers this type of stuff and have them make you a bunch. it will be cheaper for you.

Thanks I had looked into this but if you buy top loaders in quantity of say 200 lots with 5mm gauge thickness; you can get pretty good pricing for just around $1 each including shipping. The properly fabricated ones have archival qualities in terms of not containing plasticizers, stearates, etc. This has been debated though here in the past.

Here is a spinner rack full of golden age books that are stored exactly as I described: with a fullback in a mylite 2 and inside a golden age top-loader.

(thumbs u

009_zps8e10a6a9.jpg

The TLs present very well with the boards. I guess until I have each in hand; one with and one without, to really make up my mind.

In terms of the "pinch" inside the TL and how tightly it sits, have you tried just the comic without the board? I would imagine with the board it would pinch even better, meaning the likelihood the comic could move around inside the TL is less because with the board it would be a tighter more snug fit.

Here is a spinner rack full of golden age books that are stored exactly as I described: with a fullback in a mylite 2 and inside a golden age top-loader.

(thumbs u

009_zps8e10a6a9.jpg

The TLs present very well with the boards. I guess until I have each in hand; one with and one without, to really make up my mind.

In terms of the "pinch" inside the TL and how tightly it sits, have you tried just the comic without the board? I would imagine with the board it would pinch even better, meaning the likelihood the comic could move around inside the TL is less because with the board it would be a tighter more snug fit.

Yes I have tried the comic inside a mylite and inside a toploader without the board. The positive: you can see the front and back of the comic through the toploader.

The negative: to get a detailed look at the book you have to take the book out of the toploader as it is thick enough plastic that it can hide details.

Additionally if the book is something you take to shows taking it out of the toploader repeatedly opens the possibility of damaging the book as the book in mylite only it has no protective support of the board and can bend against the entry portion of the toploader.

I think if you are keeping it and wont be taking the book out of the toploader often not having the backing board can be done.

Depending on the type/ era of books you have, you will need Magazine size toploaders for the larger format golden age books like early Marvel Mysteries, early detectives, and early Planets. Once the size of golden age books changed to small width they fit in the golden age size toploaders.

I use the golden age size toploaders for the silver/ bronze/ copper age books as I prefer to keep the toploaders all the same size if I can in the boxes for uniformity. I don't want a small toploader against a larger one ( scratches )

Found this entertaining in light of the thread.

A board member is putting a 1970's Avenger comic into a 700M2 bag and placing that in a BCW top loader 7 1/2 X 11. The interior dimensions are basically 7" wide so it fits like a perfectly pinched slab.

Check out 4:44 mark putting comic in bag and 6:50 placing bagged comic into top loader. In this case because the comic is so snug in the top loader and placed in the bag with no wiggle room could it warp/bend? It definitely it is most slab like in appearance

I always love seeing books in Mylite 2s with the thick plastic boards, so then you can see the back cover without taking the book out of the mylite. I reckon plastic boards aren't archival though.

In theory some are if they specifically do not contain stearates or plasticizers and other criteria. I did find out that the top loaders from hot flips are archival safe.

I am looking to buy a golden age comic book...not very valuable, but I want to display it on a wall at work.

I am leaning towards a toploader plus a comic mount for wall display. 

Any thoughts on this?