• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please educate me on Deadpool.

15 posts in this topic

Is his origin in the movie from the comic universe?

If so, did the lab create other super powered people?

Who was the woman who went head to head with Perry? She seems like a great lead character.

Is Deadpool always played for laughs?

Thanks.

1. His origin is similar. He was part of the Weapon X program. He's a mutate. He has no X-gene but they essentially forced him to mutate by putting Wolverine's healing factor into him. It was some sort of weird pseudo-science. They just kinda dropped the Wolverine connection in the explanation & didn't specifically say that they were part of Weapon X. They also did some mind-screwy stuff to him, which they also simplified into "your brain breaks in the process" for this. But the way they showed it in the movie still leaves it very open to showing the Weapon X connection later.

2. Weapon X created a number of other super people. Some were mutants that were experimented on. Some are mutates like Deadpool.

3. I don't know who you are talking about. Who is Perry?

4. He's sometimes played for laughs. His comic, when written well, is a good mix of very ridiculous hilarity & earnestness. This was especially on display in the Cable & Deadpool series, Uncanny X-Force Vol 1, a lot of the Gail Simone or Joe Kelly Deadpool series, and most of the last volume of the comic. It's been carried over into the current one. Deadpool is best when he's both crazy & really trying to do good things. His interactions with Evan (Genesis/young-Apocalypse clone) and Cap are a good display of this.

I thought Wolverine shut down the Weaon X program and killed everyone connected to it years ago.

Deadpool looks like he went thru it recently.

Marvel and Disney have a character named Angel Dust?

She took on Peter, who is one of the heavyweights on the planet, I was impressed.

The Weapon X program was part of the Weapons Plus program that splintered off. Wolverine thought he took out the program a few times, but it keeps creeping back to life in new places with someone else in charge. Deadpool went through the project a few years before Wolverine first thought he shut down the program. Deadpool has been around for 25 years & Wolverine only took out the program for the first time a year or so after NM 98. And it's come back 2 or 3 times since. Including when Deadpool & Sabertooth & a few others were part of Weapon X program circa 2005-ish.

And yes, Angel Dust was a Morlock.

I thought Wolverine shut down the Weaon X program and killed everyone connected to it years ago.

Deadpool looks like he went thru it recently.

Marvel and Disney have a character named Angel Dust?

She took on Peter, who is one of the heavyweights on the planet, I was impressed.

In fairness, he was obviously holding back big time on her, going so far as to still be protecting her modesty in the middle of the fight instead of just beating her azz to a ratchet pulp.

-J.

Is his origin in the movie from the comic universe?

If so, did the lab create other super powered people?

Who was the woman who went head to head with Perry? She seems like a great lead character.

Is Deadpool always played for laughs?

Thanks.

That`s one I want to know.

We know the lab created Deadpool and Wolverine,but who were the others?

I wouldn't call myself the most up to date and still in-canon but in the comics Deadpool was a reject for Weapon X which created Wolverine, which is just one of the Weapon Plus programs (numerically ordered).

if it helps, I don't know how into Marvel you are, Fantomex is Weapon XIII, Weapon I was Captain America.

Obviously, the movies, especially at FOX have very little to do with the comics, but that might help, though admittedly, it has felt like Marvel has run away from a lot of the great stuff I think Grant Morrison did for them.

Weapon I was Captain America.

Is that sacrilege cannon, or just some X-poop that no one else at Marvel acknowledges?

I don't really have an opinion for or against it but I don't see how it changes anything involving Cap.

The concept of the super soldier serum is pretty flexible and has been used in a variety of different continuities to represent a source of power or a product of testing originating from that era (like in the films) to develop superhumans.

It seems pretty logical that a success like Cap would promote more advanced testing in the future.

I wouldn't call myself the most up to date and still in-canon but in the comics Deadpool was a reject for Weapon X which created Wolverine, which is just one of the Weapon Plus programs (numerically ordered).

if it helps, I don't know how into Marvel you are, Fantomex is Weapon XIII, Weapon I was Captain America.

Obviously, the movies, especially at FOX have very little to do with the comics, but that might help, though admittedly, it has felt like Marvel has run away from a lot of the great stuff I think Grant Morrison did for them.

What was your first clue, Marvel squatting down and taking a huge, steaming Austen on the title as soon as Grant left?

Weapon I was Captain America.

Is that sacrilege cannon, or just some X-poop that no one else at Marvel acknowledges?

I don't really have an opinion for or against it but I don't see how it changes anything involving Cap.

The concept of the super soldier serum is pretty flexible and has been used in a variety of different continuities to represent a source of power or a product of testing originating from that era (like in the films) to develop superhumans.

It seems pretty logical that a success like Cap would promote more advanced testing in the future.

Yes, I imagine Captain America wasn't the literal "Weapon I", more of an honorary title since he inspired many further experiments.

What was your first clue, Marvel squatting down and taking a huge, steaming Austen on the title as soon as Grant left?

Seems oddly phrased directed at me, but while it did to be some contention between Morrison and line editors ( I do believe he and Joe Q, who brought him in had a good relationship) and caused him to leave. I think I once heard Grant say Joe tried to keep him up to the minute that he was going to announce going back to DC at a con.

That said, they did bring in Whedon, perhaps at the height of his fame (pre-Avengers next level mainstream success) to do an X-Men book after, and he was supposed to directly replace Grant and reportedly was a very big fan (I think his Astonishing run shows that), and his run is well regarded.

All of this is speculation but I suspect both Grant and Whedon were big enough to overrule the X-editors when they really wanted, and if Whedon did follow Grant on the title he would have done mostly what he wanted, but as soon as Grant left and Austen was in place we got the crapfest that comes with overbearing editors and a once in generation type not good writer.