• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Gallagher uncannyknack (warning: image laden thread)

60 posts in this topic

I have not been this impressed with seeing a new artist since I first saw Artgerm's work.

I don't have time to look yet, but does this guy have a Black Cat? :shy:

I wish some of his comic stuff was available in larger prints. Seems that only the video game stuff is & the one Deadshot piece & the wolverine on a sentinel are available as prints. Cause I'd buy the carp out of a few of those to frame & hang.

Without the rights to sell it, he probably wants to avoid burning any bridges... Once he gets something published, he can request from Marvel or DC the opportunity to sell a print of it.

Maybe. But I think it's more the sizing issue. There's 2 of his comic related works that are big enough for printing on 8x12 or something like that. All the rest appear to be too small of an image size but just a hair. He might not have created them big enough to get printed without a significant resolution loss.

Not to diminish his work, because he is very talented, but is this freehand brush/art? A few of these look (especially the soft lighting effects on the face) remind me of 3D software modelling I used to do back in the day. The amount of detailing on these would require a tremendous amount of post-editing in some photo-editing software, but just trying to gain a sense of how much of this is digital. Does he describe his technique anywhere?

This is a good point to reiterate what's in the opening post...

John Gallagher - 'uncannyknack' on deviant art

At a casual glance I believe it's "all digital". On his site, underneath each image is description of his thinking/processes/challenges of each piece. Just click an image thumbnail for details.

Also, looking further, I found this:

ComiConArt.com - John Gallagher -commisions

No telling if this site is current, the prices up to date, or if he's currently accepting work. Probably a PM through this site or deviantart.com would be a good 1st step to ordering.

Having said all that, don't be too dismissive of digital works. Anyone who's studied digital painting can testify to how complex, challenging and demanding it can be. As much if not more so than traditional techniques. And this guy's talent and mastery are right there in the amazing visuals. (thumbs u

Is this the same John Gallagher who is local to the Vancouver Comic Show? I have never seen him sell any original comic art or paintings at his table. I believe most of his comic art is digital.

Gallagher will be at the huge Calgary Expo if you would like to meet him in person to Sunday May 1, 2016. Attendance projected to be over 100,000 at Calgary, Alberta :headbang: up in Canada:

comics guests end of April, 2016