• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Fantastic Four #67

18 posts in this topic

A new purchase… If this one was centered better, it would have substituted one of my keeper copies, but it might just do it.

I am a bit undecided about the grade. The most relevant flaw is the creasing and small wear on the upper left corner, and some minor creasing on spine. There is also a minuscule light stain (barely visible) on the top part of the back cover, but very very minimal. Rest of the book is very nice, and fresh.

The seller's stated grade was:

VF (8.0)

As usual, pictures are clickable to access higher resolution versions.

Thanks in advance for your help!

uvKcXzah.jpg

OLSAISQh.jpg

I'd call it a 7.5 with that front top left corner and the dent on the bottom spine side cover. I can see the evidence of that dent on the front, too, at the bottom left. Additionally, it almost looks like a crease on the back running from the bottom left corner of the green box, angled to meet the more evident crease. But it's really that top left corner that keeps me from going over 7.5. It's still a nice copy and a nice one to own. :)

Thanks David, in hand it’s very nice. The top corner wear becomes somewhat secondary as the rest of the books is really pretty (and great PQ as well), that’s why I am undecided, as I constantly see VF books (also CGC graded) which have noticeable flawing that is a lot worse… For example, the black covered books are a puzzle, that’s the example of Thor #165 I was making to you.

Given this one is white, I accepted to buy it at that stated grade and I pretty much agree with it, but I see your point. Grading has its part of subjectivity, but we try to do it objectively by following the CGC examples, that’s why I am interested to hear more evaluations. :)

7.5 was my initial reaction to that top left corner... I've seen 8.0's with that type of wear, but the back cover has a couple creases (corner and longer one - both of which should press out)

It's got a shot at 8.0 with a press, but my gut is that it's a grade lower.

I see… It might be in-between. I am usually very picky about calling a book a full-fledged VF, but in this case I pretty much agreed with the seller's grade. I know that seller (not american, neither british) tends to have some inconsistency in grading and sometimes overgrades, so I picked it just based on the pictures, and was happy when I received it.

The kind of minor creasing should not impact excessively a VF (not talking about a VF+), it all depends on how you weight that top left corner, IMO. I have no intention to have it graded or to press it (a thing I would not do regardless), so I’m good with it as is, and PQ is nice… Thanks much! (thumbs u

That’s an odd one, but also a squarebound book, so it’s probably different how they would compare. The crease seems a bit long, but if it’s a nice copy I guess it’s OK. I know for sure that by CGC standards you are pretty much falling in FN+ range when the crease is 1" or more. Of course, one should take into account the accumulation of defects.

Thanks much for the additional evaluations. :)

Yes, I am not prone to carelessly overgrade, but all in all the biggest defect is the upper right corner: as "ugly" as it may seem I do not think it should impact the grade so drastically. Probably it falls in between…