• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Strange Tales #178

4 posts in this topic

How do you grade something like this? Would it be considered extensive restoration?

I found this a few years ago at a comic shop and snatched it up without taking it out of the bag (uh oh), thinking I had a bargain. doh!

th_st178tape_zpscx9ekiqw.jpg

Later, after I took it out of the bag, I saw the tape. Not very noticeable from the front, but very obvious from the back. It had tape at the staples, both inside and outside. And I noticed the both staples were replaced. From what I can determine, the tape was unnecessary. I saw no evidence of weakness at the staples, rust migration, or that there was a popped staple. I think it was a collector that was obsessed with reinforcing the staples. And as Luck would have it, I also purchased another comic at the same time that had the same exact problem. I have nobody to blame except for myself for not taking the precaution of taking it out of the bag and looking more closely. :pullhair:

th_st178tapeb_zpsraz1chqp.jpg

th_st178tape1_zpseajhl0lf.jpg

I don't think CGC would consider it restoration, they would just note the tape and downgrade it significantly.

I agree with your opinion that it was most likely a collector that decided to reinforce the staples. (ill-advisedly) Too bad, ST #178 is one of my all-time favorite books.

Probably not worth slabbing in its current state, in my honest opinion.