• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tape Vs Glue - Restored/Universal - Small amounts

3 posts in this topic

I am trying to wrap my head around this one and can't seem to get it. I know CGC changed their stance on tape a few years back and as such surprised glue stance wasn't changed as well so maybe someone can enlighten me as to why:

A piece of tape holding part of the book together is UNIVERSAL - Noted on the label tape on cover

A drop of glue holding a part of the book together is PLOD - Noted on the label small amount of glue on the cover

A smaller drop of glue (what constitutes smaller) is UNIVERSAL - Very small amount of glue on the cover

This recently came to light on two separate occasions:

A book was in a purple holder for a bit of glue on the book. It was sent to CCS and they "removed" some of the glue, however a "bunch" of glue still exists as noted on the label and the book now resides in a universal holder with the notes reading: Spine Dried Glue and the label on the book reading: Very small amount of dried glue on spine of cover

A second book (raw 0.5 cover detached, tape stains and more) recently came back in a PLOD C-1 designation for:

Glue/adhesive (Non-archival material small amount) Back Cover C-1

It seems what is implied is send the book back to "us" being CCS and we will scrape off some of the glue, not necessarily all of it but some and then it will reside in a blue holder.

The glue tape distinction is silly and should be eliminated. Glue and tape serve the same purpose. As such, books with any tape or glue should all be blue or all be purple.

I agree which is what I am trying to understand why that isn't applied across the board.