• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mutants #86... A Consideration

27 posts in this topic

Why is this issue not getting the hype for the first appearance of Cable? He appears as both a silhouette in the last panel and a head shot in the next issue box on the last page.

It should never be the same value as issue #87, of course. But it's not unlike X-Factor #5, Jimmy Olsen #134' or other cameo first appearances.

No?

Ah... You're right. I misremembered.

But he's still there on the last page.

But it's not part of the story, which makes a difference

But it's not an ad page -- it's still part of the last page.

It's better than the first Darkseid.

It is a preview/ad for the next issue. It is not part of the story.

It's an ad. It's not part of the story.

Same as Iron Fist #13.

And first Darkseid is terrible, but at least it's part of the story.

The thing with Darkseid is the whole build up of who he is/was int he Kirby storyline. Since it took multiple issues to get to his first full appearance with marginal cameos along the way (creating the suspenseful buildup) and no real full cover full story ala Hulk 181 XFactor 6, ASM 30; then 134 becomes the defacto book to have. Comics history is notorious for pulling off the last page splash teasing you into the next story with full cover full story of an intro.

Nothing worse than the Gambit deal tho. And I agree its not completely an ad, but it's not like ASM 298 299 as the last panel intros of Venom.

Its also a nice part of the New Mutants 98. Straight up first appearance, full story, full intro cover.

Why is this issue not getting the hype for the first appearance of Cable? He appears as both a silhouette in the last panel and a head shot in the next issue box on the last page.

It should never be the same value as issue #87, of course. But it's not unlike X-Factor #5, Jimmy Olsen #134' or other cameo first appearances.

No?

Marvel does recognize this issue as a 1st cameo appearance.

Stryfe Marvel wiki

First Appearance

New Mutants #86 (cameo), New Mutants #87

Just not as Cable.

I would have to go with the pinup sketch of Cable & Stryfe that predates this.

Is this in Marvel Age 82, can't quite remember the issue #?

Yes.

Is there much content to the image, or is it a preview of some future artwork? I never heard of this before.

I would have to go with the pinup sketch of Cable & Stryfe that predates this.

Is this in Marvel Age 82, can't quite remember the issue #?

Yes.

Is there much content to the image, or is it a preview of some future artwork? I never heard of this before.

I believe there are three sketches. One of Cable, one of Stryfe, and one of a separate character. If I'm leaving something out someone else please chime in.

NM 86 is a 1st app like Marvel Premiere is a 1st app. of Wolverine.

Cable's face is shown in a *coming NEXT issue* panel.

That's it.

It's a $10 book, if it's a NM copy.

I think I have sold maybe 1-2 copies for $10 at cons over, the past TWO YEARS.Probably 1-2 VF/NM-ish copies at $5 a pop, in that time frame.Not that I do a lot of cons but still.

That's how weak that book is.I remember a kid pulling it out of my $10 boxes about a year ago and telling his friend that the book was very undervalued.He put it back, of course.

Now, with NM 87 blown up, it will actually MOVE at $10.

Maybe upwards of $25...but the buyer would have to be a huge greenie to pay $25 for a book like that AND he would never buy a single book from you again, after being hosed for $25 :idea:

If I saw a ock solid 9.8 candidate for five bucks or less, I'd buy it.....and slab it.

I could see someone paying $75 to a $150 for a slabbed CGC 9.8 book with Cable's "1st cameo app".

Then again, I could also see someone paying about the cost of grading fees & shipping for it, too.

NM 86 is a 1st app like Marvel Premiere is a 1st app. of Wolverine.

Cable's face is shown in a *coming NEXT issue* panel.

That's it.

But it isn't Cable. It's his clone. Which changes the appearance details, doesn't it?