• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Examples-Based Internet Grading System Opinions Needed

40 posts in this topic

For all you comic grading gods out there, except for FFB poke2.gif, Big Lion over at STL Comics Has taken imaged examples of many of the possible defects of any given comic, and built a grading machine for the site called

E-BIGS EXAMPLE BASED INTERNET GRADING SYSTEM 893applaud-thumb.gif

If the ladies and gentlemen of CGC can try it out and give us an opinion of what you think it would be much appreciated.

Try it out, let us know what you think of the system, format, examples, are they accurate?

Constructive criticism, be it good or bad, will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully this can be tweaked and adjusted to make it as accurate and user friendly as possible.

Thanks thumbsup2.gif

You need to add No staples to your thingie. My Batman 171 has it's staples ripped out smile.gif

I don't want anything added to my thingie, my thingie is fine the way it is thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Newt, never noticed that no staples wasn't an option. It will go on my list of thingies to send to Big Lion for the next update yay.gif

My comments:

Definitions of the defects need to be added. I don't really know what sun shadowing is, and wasn't aware there was really a difference between spine creasing and spine stress.

well put it this way, if someone took a hammer and creased your forhead with it, I'm sure you would notice the difference more so then if they just took the hammer and put stress on it makepoint.gif

same as comics, there is a difference between the two, a crease can be the white color breaking line down the centre of the book after Marvel has shipped it to your home neatly folded in half and the trusted mailman decided to do oragami with it, whereas stress lines, like crows feet in the eyes of old men and women, are faint, but noticeable lines, sometimes color breaking, sometimes not. You see these alot on comics from Walmart where they have been flipped through in the rack, and dead centre of the spine has that slightly bent look from being pulled forward.

Good advice though Hobby as not everyone knows what everything means in the industry, I'm still trying to figure out what CGC stands for 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

While that is a very nice system, the small pics are hard to see and use for examples. I think face recognition software would be the way to go to get uniform grading and remove the "human" element. Of course, with computers and software, garbage in = garbage out.

confused-smiley-013.gif

My comments:

Definitions of the defects need to be added. I don't really know what sun shadowing is, and wasn't aware there was really a difference between spine creasing and spine stress.

well put it this way, if someone took a hammer and creased your forhead with it, I'm sure you would notice the difference more so then if they just took the hammer and put stress on it makepoint.gif

same as comics, there is a difference between the two, a crease can be the white color breaking line down the centre of the book after Marvel has shipped it to your home neatly folded in half and the trusted mailman decided to do oragami with it, whereas stress lines, like crows feet in the eyes of old men and women, are faint, but noticeable lines, sometimes color breaking, sometimes not. You see these alot on comics from Walmart where they have been flipped through in the rack, and dead centre of the spine has that slightly bent look from being pulled forward.

Good advice though Hobby as not everyone knows what everything means in the industry, I'm still trying to figure out what CGC stands for 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I can't tell if you're being serious or dogging me for not knowing. I only got into comics again about a year ago, and didn't even know books were being graded until about September. So people like me still don't know a lot about it.

My comments:

I can't tell if you're being serious or dogging me for not knowing. I only got into comics again about a year ago, and didn't even know books were being graded until about September. So people like me still don't know a lot about it.

27_laughing.gif, neither, you do have a good idea there, like I said not everyone knows everything, comics are like my real life line of work in the insurance industry, both are such a comprehensive industry that everyday is a learning experience.

No sarcasim at all dude 893applaud-thumb.gif

Neat tool.

Where's foxing?

Besides your AVATAR? 893whatthe.gif

Foxing is the same thing as a sunshadow right? It's on there same thing different terms.

Sun shadow is also called oxidation shadow and comes from a portion of the comic being exposed to sunlight for too long. The exposed portion appears darker than the rest of the paper. It is a pretty serious defect, worse than a dust shadow. Foxing is completely different. Foxing spots are brown or orange and are mold byproducts.

My comments:

I call them "bnds @ the Sp" in my notes.

you really shouldn't talk ghetto Newt, it's not becoming wink.gifpoke2.gif