• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS: Submariner Comics 17 CGC 7.0 - $700 postage paid

15 posts in this topic

Thanks!!!!

Liberterated? I've had that suggested to me before, but I feel slimy REMOVING the book for sale, even if I mark it as a 7.0.

Maybe I just didn't pitch it good enough....

Here we have a F/VF copy of Submariner Comics 17 from 1945. This Schomburg cover Timely has only three copies graded higher in the CGC census. The artist has done a spot-on American stereotypical/propogandized rendition of the Japanese during WWII. We can see the Sub-Mariner using the Japanese Submarines' own guns against them in trying to save the defenseless allied Hospital Ship. He fends off sword, knife, firearm, and physical attacks from the hapless crewmembers without breaking a sweat.

The copy itself is clean and flat with bright color and terriffic off-white to white page quality. Notable defects on the front cover include the minor color loss at the top left coner at the spine, and a rounding of the corner at the bottom of the spine. Non-bindery corners are very slightly rounded.

The new Sub-Mariner movie is on the way, and this book has the story that the movie will be based on!****

Large front cover scan and back cover scan are available if interested! Overstreet value in Fine is $396, Very Fine $825.

Well, it's good as sold now with that description. Maybe a bidding war will ensue!

grin.gif

****I made that part up about the story being retold in the movie. It is completely untrue.

wow, i have that same book in cgc slabbed 7.0.

mine is nicer though

the only torch/subby/cap'namerica Timely I own, which is probably what has prevented me from listing it in my store for way too much

wow, i have that same book in cgc slabbed 7.0.

mine is nicer though

the only torch/subby/cap'namerica Timely I own, which is probably what has prevented me from listing it in my store for way too much

In that case, I'm sure your input is really appreciated on this thread... rolleyes.gif

Aw jeez, it ain't often that I see an oldie like that slabbed in the same grade as one I own. Mine has a dust shadow though. Maybe that's a fair trade for corner blunting. Eye of the beholder.

I ain't selling mine for $700... that'd be too much of a bahgin! You should snag his at that price if you can. That's a steal. If I didn't have one I'd be tempted....

Probably one I'm going to keep for the kiddies. Not the hugest book, but about all I can afford. Just plain neater than the DCs and Fawcetts of that era.

I appreciate it. I did not mind the "mine is nicer". :-) What is the PQ on yours; if I may be so bold.

Aw jeez, it ain't often that I see an oldie like that slabbed in the same grade as one I own. Mine has a dust shadow though. Maybe that's a fair trade for corner blunting. Eye of the beholder.

I ain't selling mine for $700... that'd be too much of a bahgin! You should snag his at that price if you can. That's a steal. If I didn't have one I'd be tempted....

Probably one I'm going to keep for the kiddies. Not the hugest book, but about all I can afford. Just plain neater than the DCs and Fawcetts of that era.

I shall check. Probably only O.W. come to think of it. Something I often forget about when it comes to slabs, I sortah look no further when I see "white" somewhere in there.