• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHITE Pages....................................................A Poll

Do White pages affect your purchasing decisions ?  

876 members have voted

1. 1. Do White pages affect your purchasing decisions ?

416 posts in this topic

White pages could be cream to off white pages on any given day.

I've cracked several old label slabs that were CROW on the label, and OW to OW/W inside.

The question should probably be framed:

"If you have two otherwise identical copies, one with OW/W and one with White, would you pay more for the White pages?"

My answer is no, if I had to pay more.

If, however, they cost the same, I will always choose White, all other things being equal.

\

Agreed

My rule of thumb

I buy SA books that are at least CR/OW

I buy BA books that are at least OW

I buy Copper books that are at least OW/W

Moderns have to be WHITE

As for the question of will I pay more for white pages... depends how much

are we talking 5-10 dollars? sure

are we talking 50 dollars? no way

Also, I have a couple SA keys that are CR/OW PQ... it's not like I'd ever make a point to go and upgrade those books just to get a better PQ - I think that would be ridiculous

"If you have two otherwise identical copies, one with OW/W and one with White, would you pay more for the White pages?"

If, however, they cost the same, I will always choose White, all other things being equal.

I pretty much agree with this. I also prefer white pages from a consistency standpoint, but not to the point where I'd pay more than probably $5-10 for it.

If a book is a 9.8 I usually am bothered if the pages are not white. That said I would not pay more for it. I am way more concerned with centering and registration.

I don't like CR/OW though even if it is early silver.

Here's a good question:

Imagine you have two SA books laying side by side.

One with WHITE page quality and one with CR/OW page quality

you know both will grade the exact same (i.e.either both are 6.0's or both are 5.0's or both are 4.0's, etc.)

book with WHITE page quality has more unappealing defects on the cover (i.e. cover tear, piece missing)

the book with CROW page quality is a better looking book for the grade.

Which do you take?

Jimbo:

The debate has found its way into multiple threads and it's not only about white pages vs. off-white to white pages, it's about page quality across the spectrum. The discussion centers around the premise that page quality has no impact on realized prices. The claim is that books with cream to off-white pages will realize the same prices as books with ow-w or w pages. And so on.

I should never have started a poll after a 12 hour shift...... but I suppose it may give us some kind of idea what the consensus is around here. I really do see one glaring oversight on my part (...so far) in not including a choice for those who will pay more for white pages on certain books only, and for those who prefer white pages but won't pay extra. Hopefully this may be a learning experience anyway...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

My rule of thumb

Moderns have to be WHITE

Also, I have a couple SA keys that are CR/OW PQ... it's not like I'd ever make a point to go and upgrade those books just to get a better PQ - I think that would be ridiculous

+1

This is about in line with my own personal collecting preferences as well. (thumbs u

-J.

Jimbo:

The debate has found its way into multiple threads and it's not only about white pages vs. off-white to white pages, it's about page quality across the spectrum. The discussion centers around the premise that page quality has no impact on realized prices. The claim is that books with cream to off-white pages will realize the same prices as books with ow-w or w pages. And so on.

I should never have started a poll after a 12 hour shift...... but I suppose it may give us some kind of idea what the consensus is around here. I really do see one glaring oversight on my part (...so far) in not including a choice for those who will pay more for white pages on certain books only, and for those who prefer white pages but won't pay extra. Hopefully this may be a learning experience anyway...... GOD BLESS...

There's nothing wrong with your poll. Jaydogrules just keep saying that PQ makes no difference.

It's a multifaceted discussion but in general, the better the page quality the higher the sales price. There's always going to be the exception but I think everyone realizes that this is the general rule that can be applied.

Jimbo:

There's nothing wrong with your poll. Jaydogrules just keep saying that PQ makes no difference.

It's a multifaceted discussion but in general, the better the page quality the higher the sales price. There's always going to be the exception but I think everyone realizes that this is the general rule that can be applied.

I think you are just stating your own personal opinion again. (thumbs u

-J.

This. ^^

Jimbo:

.... I was under this assumption as well, but then I decided to review some of my own purchasing decisions through the years and had to admit that while I do prefer white pages, I don't recall ever actively deciding to pay more to win a book at auction. There have, however, been times when a book was listed at an aggressive price that was scarcer and the fact that it had white pages did become a deciding factor. GOD BLESS...

..... over the years I have known collectors, more than one, who like "aged" books and love cream pages..... and also those who will not accept anything other than white.

Jimbo:

.... I was under this assumption as well, but then I decided to review some of my own purchasing decisions through the years and had to admit that while I do prefer white pages, I don't recall ever actively deciding to pay more to win a book at auction. There have, however, been times when a book was listed at an aggressive price that was scarcer and the fact that it had white pages did become a deciding factor. GOD BLESS...

..... over the years I have known collectors, more than one, who like "aged" books and love cream pages..... and also those who will not accept anything other than white.

+1

To all of it. There are no generalizations and there are no absolutes. For every point there is a counter point. There are simply too many "moving parts" to a book, as it were, for anyone to reasonably state that the "PQ" on the label is the be all and end all to every buyer's purchasing decision.

People need to speak for themselves and not be so narcissistic as to think that the entire market has the same collecting philosophy as they do. It's the diversity in the marketplace that prevents any "PQ premium", whether real or imagined, from being either quantifiable or provable.

-J.

Except that they don't all cancel each other out with a mean average of zero.

Given two identical books

1) most people will choose the book with the nicer PQ

2) some (many) people will pay more for the premium

Jimbo:

+1

To all of it. There are no generalizations and there are no absolutes. For every point there is a counter point. There are simply too many "moving parts" to a book, as it were, for anyone to reasonably state that the "PQ" on the label is the be all and end all to every buyer's purchasing decision.

People need to speak for themselves and not be so narcissistic as to think that the entire market has the same collecting philosophy as they do. It's the diversity in the marketplace that prevents any "PQ premium", whether real or imagined from being either quantifiable or provable.

-J.

.... that's the whole reason that I started this poll...... I love data and found your contributions to the CA thread to be intriguing..... why would data suggest that a logical conclusion about PQ not actually translate into the data ? I was curious and thought a broader consensus here might be helpful. Ironically, many of the comments here support the data you provided...... I suppose the perception may be that white pages are better, but only slightly. In my case, I suppose I view them as the cherry atop the sundae..... GOD BLESS....

How are they identical if the PQ is different?

FYI - don't assume "most" people have any idea what PQ is or where it is on the slab. "Most" people (i.e. buyers not from the boards) look more at the grade than anything else.

People are trying to take hardcore collecting mentality and extend it to the entire buying public. Many people just want to buy a book in the highest grade they can and pay little attention to anything else.

How are they identical if the PQ is different?

Obviously, identical in every respect except for PQ

FYI - don't assume "most" people have any idea what PQ is or where it is on the slab. "Most" people (i.e. buyers not from the boards) look more at the grade than anything else.

People are trying to take hardcore collecting mentality and extend it to the entire buying public. Many people just want to buy a book I the highest grade they can and pay little attention to anything else.

I don't assume much about comics anymore. I've been a collector for 40 years and have been buying and selling for over a decade, 7years full time.

What you are touching on is one of the many facets of the discussion: the more experienced a collector becomes the more they care about things like page quality, ink strike, etc. They become more picky. That's a natural progression for a collector in ANY field or hobby.

Another facet is that a CA collector will likely have different tastes than, say a SA or a GA collector.

When I am talking about PQ I believe (as others are also assuming) that we are talking about vintage books, which to me means early 1970's and back. No CA books.

I realize that a 1979 book is considered vintage by the general public but as a collector I see very little difference between late BA and early CA books.

I'm a collector willing to pay more for a SA or early BA comic with white pages. There are plenty of other collectors willing to do so, too. That's why datamining of hundreds of entries in GPA (as opposed to anecdotal sampling too small to be of any statistical power) demonstrates that white paged examples fetch higher sale prices overall.

I also pay more for:

- excellent cover centering with staples right on the spine

- well-preserved white cover paper stock

- no edge shadows or tanning lines

- books that from appearance or provenance are almost certainly unpressed

It's the diversity in the marketplace that prevents any "PQ premium", whether real or imagined, from being either quantifiable or provable.

-J.

Except for those people who state they will, and do, pay more for white pages.

Even you, in the following post from this very thread agree that you will pay a premium, small though it may be, for white pages comics

My rule of thumb

Moderns have to be WHITE

+1

This is about in line with my own personal collecting preferences as well. (thumbs u

-J.