• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHITE Pages....................................................A Poll

Do White pages affect your purchasing decisions ?  

876 members have voted

1. 1. Do White pages affect your purchasing decisions ?

416 posts in this topic

A debate is raging in the CA Forum about the desirability of white pages in a comic and whether they command a premium at market. I'm curious what the members of this Message Board think about this. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

You need another choice; I don't pay extra for white pages but accept that others will.

This choice signals that one accepts that white pages have an accepted higher desirability o many collectors, while also stating that it's not across the board for everyone.

You need another choice; I don't pay extra for white pages but accept that others will.

This choice signals that one accepts that white pages have an accepted higher desirability o many collectors, while also stating that it's not across the board for everyone.

....it's just focused on what you do and how you feel..... anything other than that ventures too close to conjecture and speculative hearsay...... I think (shrug) GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

This poll is already operating under the premise that "white pages " on the label automatically makes a book "superior " to all others, regardless of what else might be going on with it, when it certainly does not.

First, CGC is wishy washy with how they label "PQ".

And second there should also be a choice of "I buy the book, not the label " (thumbs u

-J.

I think we many of us accept that some collectors shun non white pages same as they wont buy store stamps and arrival dates. To most of us it's a bit much, but we accept that for them it's a real concern.

The question should probably be framed:

"If you have two otherwise identical copies, one with OW/W and one with White, would you pay more for the White pages?"

My answer is no, if I had to pay more.

If, however, they cost the same, I will always choose White, all other things being equal.

Jimbo:

The debate has found its way into multiple threads and it's not only about white pages vs. off-white to white pages, it's about page quality across the spectrum. The discussion centers around the premise that page quality has no impact on realized prices. The claim is that books with cream to off-white pages will realize the same prices as books with ow-w or w pages. And so on.

tumblr_m5tydx7G8e1qfirpxo2_500.gif

My perspective... on some books where white pages are far rarer I might pay a premium because the market more values the "white" pages. On other books OW/W is just fine.... Similarly if I can get white pages for the same as OW/W, then duh go white.

I won't pay extra for white pages per se, or rather call it being unfamiliar with the non-white page market to know if I am, as I want buy a copper age slab that isn't white pages.

It's easy for me to pass and in a hobby where are almost unlimited options it's even a welcome variable to insist upon for me.

The question should probably be framed:

"If you have two otherwise identical copies, one with OW/W and one with White, would you pay more for the White pages?"

My answer is no, if I had to pay more.

If, however, they cost the same, I will always choose White, all other things being equal.

This pretty much sums it up bang on (thumbs u

White pages could be cream to off white pages on any given day.

The chances of that happening are very rare.

I prefer white pages if I can find them. I understand that on older/scarcer comics, that isn't always an option. I don't pay extra for white pages

I tend to avoid CR/OW or worse on Copper and above.

I am very wary of Light Tan designations

I avoid brittle pages like the plague

Now, what about interior cover tanning? :shy:

White pages could be cream to off white pages on any given day.

The chances of that happening are very rare.

Indeed.

Unless you're storing your comics in a basement next to your furnace.

The first rule is buy the book not the label. I would think if you had two books side buy side, not slabbed and structurally identical, one c/ow and the other a nice fresh copy with bone white pages everyone would pay a premium for the bone white copy.

Slabbed books if it looks fresh and is labeled white i pay a premium. I do however realize that sometimes the labels are not accurate so I go with my instinct.