• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daytona Beach Comic Convention - Sunday March 20th

18 posts in this topic

Just as an aside, but I spent nearly three hours driving to Fan Boy Expo yesterday, and that two day show was just the pits. A tiny handful of comic dealers, and the rest was all the normal nonsense you would come to expect from a "media" show.

On the flip-side, I'm very excited for Tom's show. He goes out of his way to draw comic dealers from out of state to set-up...it is primarily a comic show, and the closest comparison was the TBCC back when it was still at the Doubletree; cheap admission, decent venue, mostly comic dealers (and a good selection of material), one day show, etc. Earl Shaw made it out to one of them last year, and Heroes Aren't Hard to Find (Shelton) will be at this one, along with Rick, and a few other out-of-state dealers who don't normally make it to these smaller shows.

If you are a comic collector, I highly encourage you to make the drive, whether you are from Georgia, Tampa, Miami, Orlando, or the Panhandle. For shows like this, where the media component isn't as strong, and there is less reliance on the general public to buy tickets, the way it survives is for collectors to come out, and spend money with the dealers.

Please don't get me wrong, I love TBCC, MegaCon, and to a lesser degree Supercon, but they are different beasts altogether. If you want these small, 2-3 times/year shows to survive and thrive, you gotta get out there and support those vendors and promoters who come out.

Just as an aside, but I spent nearly three hours driving to Fan Boy Expo yesterday, and that two day show was just the pits. A tiny handful of comic dealers, and the rest was all the normal nonsense you would come to expect from a "media" show.

On the flip-side, I'm very excited for Tom's show. He goes out of his way to draw comic dealers from out of state to set-up...it is primarily a comic show, and the closest comparison was the TBCC back when it was still at the Doubletree; cheap admission, decent venue, mostly comic dealers (and a good selection of material), one day show, etc. Earl Shaw made it out to one of them last year, and Heroes Aren't Hard to Find (Shelton) will be at this one, along with Rick, and a few other out-of-state dealers who don't normally make it to these smaller shows.

If you are a comic collector, I highly encourage you to make the drive, whether you are from Georgia, Tampa, Miami, Orlando, or the Panhandle. For shows like this, where the media component isn't as strong, and there is less reliance on the general public to buy tickets, the way it survives is for collectors to come out, and spend money with the dealers.

Please don't get me wrong, I love TBCC, MegaCon, and to a lesser degree Supercon, but they are different beasts altogether. If you want these small, 2-3 times/year shows to survive and thrive, you gotta get out there and support those vendors and promoters who come out.

(thumbs u:headbang:

Tom's events are truly worth attending by comic fans. C'mon out and enjoy the show!

We'll be setting up next to him and bringing a cornucopia of good funny books. Since two tables can't display everything available, please drop a PM a with any requests.

Looking forward to seeing some Boardies,

Tony