• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cut off for CGC'ing a book

17 posts in this topic

Just wondering if there is a consensus as to a value/expected sale price of a comic

to justify sending it to CGC.

I've been largely a buyer (and hold forever) but there are some doubles I am considring

selling in the future. Considering the fees, I'm thinking $250 is about right.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Any comments or suggestions?

Well, I collect moderns, and basically I slab covers that I like or anything that I think looks good and provides me with some sort of visual enjoyment.

I, personally, don't have a price/value cut-off for slabbing books thumbsup2.gif

Depends on how I'd be sumitting. I sent 50 books in for pre-screening few months ago. There were a few that I wouldn't have gone through the trouble of submitting individually. However, I needed the 50 minimum and in the pre-screen grade, I'd be able to sell them for a slight profit. It worked out well.

If I was submitting an individual book, I'd go with $100.

Anytime you think you can get significantly more money by getting it slabbed, do so.

You have to be sure of your grading skills though.

Thinking that a 9.2 is a 9.6 or that a 8.5 is a 9.4 can be fatal to your wallet.

This is simple....

Cost of CGC + price you paid for the book < selling price. *

If it cost you $25 to slab and you paid $25 for the book and you can sell it for $65 it is worth it. Is it worth it for $15? Maybe maybe not, but the ROI is still there.

*taking into account shipping.

This is simple....

If it cost you $25 to slab and you paid $25 for the book and you can sell it for $65 it is worth it. Is it worth it for $15? Maybe maybe not, but the ROI is still there.

The price you paid for the book is irrelevant when selling. blush.gif

If you can recoup the grading cost and sell the book for more CGC'd then unslabbed, then it makes sense to get the book CGC'd. Of course if the difference is minimal, then it's probably not worth the wasted turnaround time (or risk of restoration or overgrading).

People toss out $100 or $250 minimum value numbers, but people slab moderns that wouldn't sell for $5 unslabbed, but sell for $30-40 CGC'd because they are 9.6 or higher.

This is simple....

The price you paid for the book is irrelevant when selling. blush.gif

If you can recoup the grading cost and sell the book for more CGC'd then unslabbed, then it makes sense to get the book CGC'd. Of course if the difference is minimal, then it's probably not worth the wasted turnaround time (or risk of restoration or overgrading).

People toss out $100 or $250 minimum value numbers, but people slab moderns that wouldn't sell for $5 unslabbed, but sell for $30-40 CGC'd because they are 9.6 or higher.

Well here again it depends on your motive - if its selling then I agree with a lot of what Steve says. However if its for your collection, I'd say $100 and over is usually what I would consider. Even here, my first impulse would be why slab at all confused.gif If you are worried about restoration, or curious about the grade then by all means - I guess it comes down to what value you as a collector place on the service and how much value it adds to a particular book.

Well, I collect moderns, and basically I slab covers that I like or anything that I think looks good and provides me with some sort of visual enjoyment.

I, personally, don't have a price/value cut-off for slabbing books thumbsup2.gif

Wow, don't let too many board members know that information. I mean, I'm not picky either. I'm basically a modern guy who will slab my favorite modern books and even crappy low grade silvers, but a lot of board members here will give you major flack for that because they think they're better than us. gossip.gif

Wow, don't let too many board members know that information. I mean, I'm not picky either. I'm basically a modern guy who will slab my favorite modern books and even crappy low grade silvers, but a lot of board members here will give you major flack for that because they think they're better than us. gossip.gif

Hey slab what you want, more power to you. I just think that the spirit of the original post was asking about the value or utility cut off for slabbing. Personally from a selling perspective Sid (BassGman) is a pretty good reference here as I believe he slabs books for sale in or around the cut off mark for profit potential. IE the cost of slabbing is recouped with a marginal profit due to the book being sold slabbed rather than raw.

You should see a shrink about that inferiority complex. I've never seen anyone take a jab at you for having low dollar books, but I've seen you bring up the persecution angle about a half dozen times. confused-smiley-013.gif

You should see a shrink about that inferiority complex. I've never seen anyone take a jab at you for having low dollar books, but I've seen you bring up the persecution angle about a half dozen times. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think you should see a shrink about sensivity training poke2.gif

I think you should see a shrink about sensivity training poke2.gif

I will file away your valued opinion in the appropriate recepticle. yay.gif