• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's hear it for your favorite second appearances!

67 posts in this topic

2nd app 50s Suicide Squad:

0e4d76ec-a85e-4315-ad18-18e07e249a40.jpg

...or the WW2 (original) version:

StarSpangledWarStories_116_Savannah_9-4.jpg

...or the 80s version:

s-l300.jpg

...finally the 2nd app of the modern Suicide Squad:

s-l300.jpg

...or maybe this?

s-l1600.jpg

...nonono this in their 2nd modern app:

s-l500.jpg

...ok this is really it - basis for the movie:

s-l1600.jpg

It is a wonderful, wonderful time to be a buyer of anything but keys right now.

I cannot think of a better time to buy graded non-key books than right now.

Even the doldrums of 1999-2001 don't compare, when discussing graded books (obviously.)

If you're looking for non-key books, graded or even ungraded, there aren't much better times than now.

Runs of Batman, Superman, Spiderman, FF, anything and everything, so long as it's not a first appearance or "key", and you're spending less money, relatively, than at any other time since these books were almost new.

It's a buyer's market out there, folks.

Just stay away from the New Mutants #98s, ASM #300s, ASM #129s, Hulk #181s, FF #48s, Batman #227s, ASM #50s, Batman Adventures #12s, ASM #667 Dell'Ottos, or any of the other bloated, ridiculously valued (not denying that fools are spending the money...they obviously are) "keys" and you'll do just fine.

You've only got about 150,000 other comic issues to choose from, after all.

Pick yourself up a run of Animal Man #1-26...it'll be one of the most enjoyable reads you've had in a long time. Or Sandman #1-anything. Or Justice League (1987) #1-60. You'll enjoy it. Or Amazing Spiderman #301-328...what a fun run. Or Groo...ANY Groo...

The possibilities are endless....

Don't know about that - do you feel that the ASM run between 299-328 is inflated because they are McFarlane books? I do. They command strong prices in my opinion simply because Todd drew them. To me these are non key issues that should not command a premium.

The Spidey/Hulk issue is a modern (Copper Age) classic, but I agree not much excitement in that run without the TMF art. Just look at the Eric Larsen issues following that run, $30 9.8s all day long...

Not much excitement? Venom? I felt like it was also one of the best periods of intriguing plot lines with MJ's marriage. The Cap arc at the end of it was fun. I love that Christmas cover. He also had Peter traveling the country.

It isn't the best, but it is one of my favorite 30 issue runs on the book. Almost every issue is solid.

Fantastic Four 6

2nd appearance of Dr Doom, 2nd Silver Age appearance of Namor.

Good one, also 1st Marvel villain team-up, underrated IMHO:

51Fwvi756YL._SL260_SX200_CR0,0,200,260_.jpg

That's probably the best one.

Another great one is ASM#43 - 2nd Mary Jane

It's actually the issue where you really get to "meet" her.

Even the doldrums of 1999-2001 don't compare, when discussing graded books (obviously.)

If you're looking for non-key books, graded or even ungraded, there aren't much better times than now.

Runs of Batman, Superman, Spiderman, FF, anything and everything, so long as it's not a first appearance or "key", and you're spending less money, relatively, than at any other time since these books were almost new.

Just stay away from the New Mutants #98s, ASM #300s, ASM #129s, Hulk #181s, FF #48s, Batman #227s, ASM #50s, Batman Adventures #12s, ASM #667 Dell'Ottos, or any of the other bloated, ridiculously valued (not denying that fools are spending the money...they obviously are) "keys" and you'll do just fine.

Pick yourself up a run of Animal Man #1-26...it'll be one of the most enjoyable reads you've had in a long time. Or Sandman #1-anything. Or Justice League (1987) #1-60. You'll enjoy it. Or Amazing Spiderman #301-328...what a fun run. Or Groo...ANY Groo...

Don't know about that - do you feel that the ASM run between 299-328 is inflated because they are McFarlane books? I do. They command strong prices in my opinion simply because Todd drew them. To me these are non key issues that should not command a premium.

The McFarlane art is absolutely the reason they are "cool" books and command more than the surrounding issues.

Don't forget just how big McFarlane was at the time. He impacted the way (nearly) everyone since him has drawn Spidey. The spider-like poses, the webbing, the eyes.

Yeah, the stories in those issues are unmemorable. I vaguely remember a plot involving MJ being kidnapped, and the Venom issues. But people loved those books for the McSpidey art. Not for the writing.

The Spidey/Hulk issue is a modern (Copper Age) classic, but I agree not much excitement in that run without the TMF art. Just look at the Eric Larsen issues following that run, $30 9.8s all day long...

Not much excitement? Venom? I felt like it was also one of the best periods of intriguing plot lines with MJ's marriage. The Cap arc at the end of it was fun. I love that Christmas cover. He also had Peter traveling the country.

It isn't the best, but it is one of my favorite 30 issue runs on the book. Almost every issue is solid.

The Sabertooth cover was pretty cool too and I loved his menacing Red Skull cover in the final Assassination issue. With his covers, disembodied heads made sense!

Fantastic Four 6

2nd appearance of Dr Doom, 2nd Silver Age appearance of Namor.

Good one, also 1st Marvel villain team-up, underrated IMHO:

51Fwvi756YL._SL260_SX200_CR0,0,200,260_.jpg

I didn't know that! I always thought it was weird that her first mention was early in the series, then she appears without showing her face a couple times, then it was really 42/43 where she actually "appears"

It's amazing to me that New Mutants #98 can sell for $800+ in 9.8, while X-Force #2 can't sell for $60.

Just amazing.

Yes, there were a million copies printed. Granted.

But it really does highlight the disdain that the market shows to all but first appearances these days.

New Mutants #87? $500-$600+ in 9.8.

#88? A 9.8 just sold for $75.

Break out the champagne.

Seems like a lot to pay for a 3rd / 4th appearance :insane:

It's amazing to me that New Mutants #98 can sell for $800+ in 9.8, while X-Force #2 can't sell for $60.

Just amazing.

Yes, there were a million copies printed. Granted.

But it really does highlight the disdain that the market shows to all but first appearances these days.

New Mutants #87? $500-$600+ in 9.8.

#88? A 9.8 just sold for $75.

Break out the champagne.

Seems like a lot to pay for a 3rd / 4th appearance :insane:

I stand corrected on Baby Cable in X-Men 201, ever since the Deapool movie dropped it has tripled to around ~$200.

That was one of the (many) amusing aspects of early Spidey.

Aunt May repeatedly tried to get Peter to go on a blind date with Mrs. Watson's niece.

Peter resisted, thinking Mary Jane likely to be unattractive due to his blind date stigma.

When other characters (Betty, Liz & Flash) met Mary Jane it became clear she was a knockout, yet Peter Parker had no idea.

By keeping her face hidden to the reader, Ditko's brilliant narrative placed the reader in juxtaposition; unlike Peter Parker we knew she was pretty, yet like Peter we had never seen her face.

An extremely clever use of the "unseen character" device. :grin:

I didn't know that! I always thought it was weird that her first mention was early in the series, then she appears without showing her face a couple times, then it was really 42/43 where she actually "appears"

That was one of the (many) amusing aspects of early Spidey.

Aunt May repeatedly tried to get Peter to go on a blind date with Mrs. Watson's niece.

Peter resisted, thinking Mary Jane likely to be unattractive due to his blind date stigma.

When other characters (Betty, Liz & Flash) met Mary Jane it became clear she was a knockout, yet Peter Parker had no idea.

By keeping her face hidden to the reader, Ditko's brilliant narrative placed the reader in juxtaposition; unlike Peter Parker we knew she was pretty, yet like Peter we had never seen her face.

An extremely clever use of the "unseen character" device. :grin:

+1000 points for ASM knowledge kicking - thanks!

I really enjoy the 2nd Archangel

Yeah, X-Factor 24 is a pretty good issue.

That's right. Very small cameo in #23 but a cameo nonetheless! Bottom line, if you haven't read 23-26 please do so immediately. I believe you'll thank me later :cloud9:

I would hardly call 2+ pages devoted to showing off a well established character's new look and abilities a "very small cameo." Actually, X-Factor 24 isn't even his second appearance anyway, since Warren Worthington III/Death/Archangel appeared in issues 21 and 22 in very small cameos.

My favorite 2nd appearance has to be Black Adam in Shazam 28.

Not because I like the character, but because I bought if for $3 raw just before the movie hype and flipped it for $525.

For entertainment purposes, I liked the 'burglar's' 2nd appearance in ASM #200. Very under-appreciated story. One of my fav's.