• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's hear it for your favorite second appearances!

67 posts in this topic

WWBN #33 (2nd Moon Knight)

Hulk 181(2nd Wolverine)

UXM #266 ( 2nd Gambit)

Swamp Thing #12nd Swamp Thing)

ASM #135 ( 2nd Punisher)

If you count Hulk 180 as a first how can you not count ASM 134 as a second?

:taptaptap:

spider-man-amazing-134-punisher.jpg

The label currently shows "Punisher cameo on last page," but should really read 2nd appearance of the Punisher. A cameo is synonymous with appearance, right?

*Note, I am no way biased by owning this issue...* :whistle:

Thanks for finding that, some good DC character 2nd apps in there!

+1000 pts for anyone that can find a 2nd appearance in any age of any major character that's not listed in that thread.

Thanks for finding that, some good DC character 2nd apps in there!

+1000 pts for anyone that can find a 2nd appearance in any age of any major character that's not listed in that thread.

each point is redeemable for one SA key Marvel in 8.0 or better

It is a wonderful, wonderful time to be a buyer of anything but keys right now.

I cannot think of a better time to buy graded non-key books than right now.

Even the doldrums of 1999-2001 don't compare, when discussing graded books (obviously.)

If you're looking for non-key books, graded or even ungraded, there aren't much better times than now.

Runs of Batman, Superman, Spiderman, FF, anything and everything, so long as it's not a first appearance or "key", and you're spending less money, relatively, than at any other time since these books were almost new.

It's a buyer's market out there, folks.

Just stay away from the New Mutants #98s, ASM #300s, ASM #129s, Hulk #181s, FF #48s, Batman #227s, ASM #50s, Batman Adventures #12s, ASM #667 Dell'Ottos, or any of the other bloated, ridiculously valued (not denying that fools are spending the money...they obviously are) "keys" and you'll do just fine.

You've only got about 150,000 other comic issues to choose from, after all.

Pick yourself up a run of Animal Man #1-26...it'll be one of the most enjoyable reads you've had in a long time. Or Sandman #1-anything. Or Justice League (1987) #1-60. You'll enjoy it. Or Amazing Spiderman #301-328...what a fun run. Or Groo...ANY Groo...

The possibilities are endless....

Even the doldrums of 1999-2001 don't compare, when discussing graded books (obviously.)

If you're looking for non-key books, graded or even ungraded, there aren't much better times than now.

Runs of Batman, Superman, Spiderman, FF, anything and everything, so long as it's not a first appearance or "key", and you're spending less money, relatively, than at any other time since these books were almost new.

Just stay away from the New Mutants #98s, ASM #300s, ASM #129s, Hulk #181s, FF #48s, Batman #227s, ASM #50s, Batman Adventures #12s, ASM #667 Dell'Ottos, or any of the other bloated, ridiculously valued (not denying that fools are spending the money...they obviously are) "keys" and you'll do just fine.

Pick yourself up a run of Animal Man #1-26...it'll be one of the most enjoyable reads you've had in a long time. Or Sandman #1-anything. Or Justice League (1987) #1-60. You'll enjoy it. Or Amazing Spiderman #301-328...what a fun run. Or Groo...ANY Groo...

Even the keys for Animal Man in Strange Adventures can be had for little money compared to Marvel keys. How about Strange Adventures #190 anyone?

Don't know about that - do you feel that the ASM run between 299-328 is inflated because they are McFarlane books? I do. They command strong prices in my opinion simply because Todd drew them. To me these are non key issues that should not command a premium.

Don't know about that - do you feel that the ASM run between 299-328 is inflated because they are McFarlane books? I do. They command strong prices in my opinion simply because Todd drew them. To me these are non key issues that should not command a premium.

The Spidey/Hulk issue is a modern (Copper Age) classic, but I agree not much excitement in that run without the TMF art. Just look at the Eric Larsen issues following that run, $30 9.8s all day long...

My three favorites: ASM #1, FF #6, Hulk #2.

And I absolutely agree that the focus of the hobby has become so narrow. I think all of the second appearance (and so on....3, 4, 5, etc.) SA Marvel books used to feel like (at least kind of) a big deal, but if you look at GPA on most early non-keys, there's a lot more purple arrows than green ones.

I suppose the market could have been over-inflated on lots of those books, and this is just a correction in interest and sales. At the same time, I think those are some pretty good books, and wonder if they're being slighted (which is probably the wrong word to use) on some level.

I love my FF 1-10, NOT JUST the 1 and the 5. Everything's cyclical, so I guess interest in non-keys will bounce back at some point. I hope.

And I absolutely agree that the focus of the hobby has become so narrow. I think all of the second appearance (and so on....3, 4, 5, etc.) SA Marvel books used to feel like (at least kind of) a big deal, but if you look at GPA on most early non-keys, there's a lot more purple arrows than green ones.

I suppose the market could have been over-inflated on lots of those books, and this is just a correction in interest and sales. At the same time, I think those are some pretty good books, and wonder if they're being slighted (which is probably the wrong word to use) on some level.

I love my FF 1-10, NOT JUST the 1 and the 5. Everything's cyclical, so I guess interest in non-keys will bounce back at some point. I hope.

Of course it will true believer. :headbang:

I think it's a sign of the keys hype right now where everyone is trying to find the next NM98 or Walking Dead 1.