• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

taxes

42 posts in this topic

This should be interesting, so who here pays taxes on those books...... wink.gif

popcorn.gif

Who here has gone to the State Board of Equalization an gotten a resale lic.?

The same people who disclose pressing... gossip.gifinsane.gif

... as I do not exhibit.

But you are an exhibitionist 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How does the IRS define "exhibit"? Does that mean a brick and mortar store? Setting up at cons?

Would a website fall under that? An eBay store?

How does the IRS define "exhibit"? Does that mean a brick and mortar store? Setting up at cons?

Would a website fall under that? An eBay store?

From Donut's perspective, I'm assuming "exhibit" would refer to setting up at cons. You must have that resale license for a brick and mortar so that is a moot point. Websites and ebay stores may fall under that category, but may be subject to qualification laws from state to state, i.e., level of sales? I'm not well versed on internet commerce tax law so I just do as the tax lawyer says confused-smiley-013.gif

For me, it comes down to this question: Do you operate a comic book business/are you a comic book dealer? If you're regularly buying and selling comics books, whether on eBay, a consignment website, or at a show, then you're a dealer.

If you're a dealer, then you should report your income/losses on your income tax return. Depending on your state, you should also follow your state income tax guidelines about what you have to do as a business.

Personally, I have been buying/selling sportscards and comic books, although not as a full-time dealer, for a number of years. So, I have a California resale license, report sales tax information each year, file a San Francisco business tax reports each year, and report all of my income/expenses on Schedule C to my federal tax return.

... the cost for up-keep of the book ...

What exactly is that? Resto and pressing costs? devil.gif

I was thinking of storage costs, insurance costs, also things like a new mylar and fullback (if that's your preference), proportionate costs per book for climate control (if your collection warrants this) such as dehumidifier, temperature control (electricity), etc.

I was thinking of storage costs, insurance costs, also things like a new mylar and fullback (if that's your preference), proportionate costs per book for climate control (if your collection warrants this) such as dehumidifier, temperature control (electricity), etc.

Those should be ordinary business expenses, since they're supplies or utilities. However, they are only deductible to the extent that they're for your inventory, as opposed to your personal collection.

... the cost for up-keep of the book ...

What exactly is that? Resto and pressing costs? devil.gif

Thanks WOOGIE! I gotcha - just bustin chops smile.gif Moderns don't need no stinkin' upkeep...

However, they are only deductible to the extent that they're for your inventory, as opposed to your personal collection.

If there's a price in your mind that you'd sell each every book you have at, then it's all "inventory" 27_laughing.gif

we don't have sales tax here, (oregon), but i don't sell comics as of yet, basically because i am waiting until after college and a couple years of work to begin dealing hehe (ooh that makes you sound like such a baller I.E. "I deal in high grade american literature" oooooh hehe)