• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA Rarities and some BA First Appearances

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I don't ever really enjoy selling my books, but I have a few that I think some boardie would really appreciate. These are very difficult to find in any grade, and there's very little GPA data on them. They're really cool though!

I will consider reasonable offers on all items BUT an unconditional :takeit: in the thread or by PM trumps. Competing claims will be decided by time stamp.

Payment via Paypal preferred

Priority Shipping to the US: $8.00. International actual cost for USPS Priority

Though I'm not a routine seller, I have sold many books here in the past including a 5 figure book. Kudos are here: CrocHntr Feedback

If for any reason a buyer is unhappy with their purchase I will give a full refund upon notification within 30 days of receiving the item(s) and upon the safe return of the item(s).

Sorry, no time payments offered. Thanks for checking out my books! I'm pretty firm on prices, though certainly accept offers.

War Comics #3 7.0 (Dell) - Highest Graded copy of a 1941 War book (1st series dedicated to War stories). WHITE pages makes this the nicest copy graded (I'm keeping the other 7.0 which is a file copy, but mine is cream to ow). You'd never guess, but there's a nice little sci-fi space alien story with robots inside (Greg Gilday with super-powers fights invading martians).

I was sure that this would grade out higher, but it must have had the kiss of death (see lipstick stain on back cover lol ). Otherwise, just a beautiful book.

$275

War_Comics_3B_Front_zpsywc5ngtz.jpg

War_Comics_3B_Back_zpsn1f7illx.jpg

War Stories (Comics) #8 - This is just a gorgeous Grey tone cover and the last issue of the 8 issue series and includes a Night Devils appearance.

I purchased from Metro as a 5.0, but I'm going to be conservative and say 4.5. Some color breaking creases. General wear. The staples are recessed some (a common issue with this title due to the thickness of the book), but all pages and cover are firmly attached.

$80

War_Stories_8_Metro_Copy_zpszr1wkwbl.jpg

War_Stories_8_Metro_Copy_Back_zpsxqx67hie.jpg

War Heroes #9 - 1944 Dell

Here's a really cool painted cover War book with a flamethrower. While not as hard to find as the War Comics / War Stories run, it is rather difficult in higher grades. I'd call this one a VF- (7.5). Pages are cream. A few color breaking spine ticks. Top left corner has about 1/4" tear. Also, almost unnoticeable crease just above the soldier's leg down to the bottom (only color-breaking in a few spots). A really nice book.

$80

Scan_20160305_zpsbfsbl03n.jpg

Scan_20160305%203_zpszvmi80dd.jpg

Famous Funnies #81 Apr 1941 - First comic appearance of Scarlet O'Neil. Not only is Scarlet O'Neil one of the first super-powered heroines in comics (some argue the outright first), but she was drawn by Harry G. Peters who went on to pen the first Wonder Woman a few months later (and Scarlet was considered a prototype). This book is near impossible to find in any condition.

This book just oozes color and is just a pleasure to look at, but it does have some flaws. I'd call it a Good +. First, there is a significant spine roll. 1 1/2" tear on back cover. A few small pieces missing front cover. Though firmly attached at top and middle staple, there is a 1" spine spit from the bottom staple up through the paper loss. Pages are cream with just slight tanning in some spots, but are not brittle at all.

SOLD

FF81_Copy2_zpsxm2y6sh0.jpg

FF81_Back_Copy2_zpsoymmljgf.jpg

Westerner #27 June 1950 - First Appearance Calamity Kate

For GGA, this is just one of my favorite covers. I finally found a slight upgrade, but this one is just impossible to track down.

I'd grade it as a 4.0 just to be conservative. If anything, it just seems a bit dirty. Some creases top right, and a small 1/4" tear top corner. It looks like a water stain around the "TE" in Westerner. The staples seem recessed, though the cover and all pages firmly attached. The staples are clean (top one looks rusted in scan, but it looks clean under flashlight).

SOLD

Westerner_27%20CopyB_zps5zpfrmfx.jpg

Westerner_27%20CopyB%20Back_zps9z8sgon6.jpg

For GGA, this is just one of my favorite covers. I finally found a slight upgrade, but this one is just impossible to track down.

I'd grade it as a 4.0 just to be conservative. If anything, it just seems a bit dirty. Some creases top right, and a small 1/4" tear top corner. It looks like a water stain around the "TE" in Westerner. The staples seem recessed, though the cover and all pages firmly attached. The staples are clean (top one looks rusted in scan, but it looks clean under flashlight).

$40

Westerner_27%20CopyB%20Back_zps9z8sgon6.jpg

You've sold me. Gotta add this one to my GGA collection. Thanks!

:takeit:

$40

You've sold me. Gotta add this one to my GGA collection. Thanks!

:takeit:

^^ Thanks so much! Truly one of my favorite GGA covers.

One more, and I think I'm out of gas. I was going to list a couple SA/BA 1st appearance books, but am fighting a cold, so I think a nap is in order instead :).

Seven Seas #1 - Unfortunately no Baker cover on this one, but his internal story includes 1st app. South Sea Girl (Alani), whom made the cover of #4 so famous and is near the top of my list of favorite Baker works. You'll want to keep this one out of a slab because the interior art is so freaking fantastic!

I'd grade this at a VG/F (5.0). It could be nicer, but the front cover doesn't seem overly glossy (not sure if that's just standard with this book or what) and the back cover has some staining/dirt. Color breaking crease top right fc and tiny tears around staples (though all pages firmly intact). Cream pages.

$190

Scan_20160306_zps6h0rj73w.jpg

Scan_20160306%202_zpshjfqse9r.jpg

Scan_20160306%203_zpsu7mmutvn.jpg

One more, and I think I'm out of gas. I was going to list a couple SA/BA 1st appearance books, but am fighting a cold, so I think a nap is in order instead :).

Seven Seas #1 - Unfortunately no Baker cover on this one, but his internal story includes 1st app. South Sea Girl (Alani), whom made the cover of #4 so famous and is near the top of my list of favorite Baker works.

I'd grade this at a VG/F (5.0). It could be nicer, but the front cover doesn't seem overly glossy (not sure if that's just standard with this book or what) and the back cover has some staining/dirt. Color breaking crease top right fc and tiny tears around staples (though all pages firmly intact). Cream pages.

$190

Scan_20160306_zps6h0rj73w.jpg

Scan_20160306%202_zpshjfqse9r.jpg

Scan_20160306%203_zpsu7mmutvn.jpg

If that Baker splash was on the cover, it would top everybody's want list.

Ha ha. No doubt. You could take that entire splash page and simply use it as a cover, and it would be one of the best GGA books in existence. I had at one time thought about having this book encapsulated, but the most important stuff is definitely on the inside!

Ha ha. No doubt. You could take that entire splash page and simply use it as a cover, and it would be one of the best GGA books in existence. I had at one time thought about having this book encapsulated, but the most important stuff is definitely on the inside!

...the whole book is slam full of solid art...... 2 Bakers I believe..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u