• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How often we see Mark Jewellers ad in comics - Marvel or DC?

16 posts in this topic

During my inspecting with books before they go in their designed boxes for sell, I found 2 comics by DC with Mark Jewellers ad inside. Both are "Kamandi" #42 and 57. I was surprised to see the ads there.

Which got me thinking ... Do we see these ads more often in Marvel or in DC? This is something I have not thought before. I wondered how the Mark Jewellers people decided where they want put in the comics,or did DC and Marvel made the decision?

At the point I can't upload photo due to photobucket froze up on me. Will try later.

Discussion? Thanks.

Personally, I see them more in DCs. These books are truly tough, but I don't understand why it would make them significantly more valuable or desirable than normal issues. I would guess you might see a 1 in every 2000 books from the time period has the jewelers inserts. That could be way off, but about accurate from what I see in my inventory. I would suspect the nearer you are to military bases, the more you see. The further away from a base you are, the more rare they become.

There are a few good threads on the Mark Jeweler inserts on the board.

On DC:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6954368

More:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7767372

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4778161

For me personally, and I know this isn't helpful, it was Marvel because all I bought was Marvel and at least at the bases I went to Marvel was clearly taking up more shelf space than DC. It was just a snapshot for sure, but it was pretty evident Marvel during my time 80s was the boss brand and represented big on limited shelf space at the half dozen or so installations I bought from as a child.

Relatively rare, but not as rare as price variants, Whitman or for that matter JC Penny variants. Mark Jeweler and Whitman copies are more common for DC. Price and JC Penny variants are just Marvel AFAIK.

Is there a Mark Jewelers copy of New Mutants 98? I ask because I just found an X-Factor 63 with the insert and that is the same month that NM 98 came out.

i'm pretty sure there is, i feel like i've seen them listed before.

Might be interested in this too (not mine)...

3231506.jpg

Damn... I had no idea that Mark Jewelers still carry on with their ad up to 1990s. That must be quite a low number.

Personally, I see them more in DCs. These books are truly tough, but I don't understand why it would make them significantly more valuable or desirable than normal issues.

I know some just like to buy anything different, but I've started buying them because there's some odd desire on my part to get issues as I got them when I was kid, and those things add to the nostalgia, even as my memory is full of people ripping them out of the books.

Personally, I see them more in DCs. These books are truly tough, but I don't understand why it would make them significantly more valuable or desirable than normal issues.

I know some just like to buy anything different, but I've started buying them because there's some odd desire on my part to get issues as I got them when I was kid, and those things add to the nostalgia, even as my memory is full of people ripping them out of the books.

They were mostly (only?) included in comics that went to a military PX, so it's a piece of history as well. I don't know if they're technically a variant since nothing is different with the comic itself. CGC notes it under the date like they do with other notes regarding changes to a comic - not on the left side like they do with variant notes.

I would guess you might see a 1 in every 2000 books from the time period has the jewelers inserts. That could be way off, but about accurate from what I see in my inventory. I would suspect the nearer you are to military bases, the more you see. The further away from a base you are, the more rare they become.

-----------

This sounds way to high. That would mean that a book with a print run of 300,000 only had 150 MJ copies. That would make no sense.

Someone here has thrown around 3-5% of the print-run. Of course, I don't know where they are getting that from.

I definitely have a lot more than 1/2000 of my BA books with MJs. I don't search these out, just coming to me randomly.

NOW, if you are pushing that into the 90s, maybe, but still not 1/2000. I could see 750--1500 or whatever MJ copies of some 750,000 print run book from the 90s where the MJ stuff is falling out of favor.

oh yeah, there definitely has to be more than that, even on a single base that I'd go to in the 80s they'd have a few dozen copies of each issue on the shelf and that was on a SMALL support base overseas and I'm not including more that would be on the racks at the exchange or convenience store, just the book store. Also, not including any they couldn't fit on the shelves or restock copies etc.

Now picture giant installations that the army or air force have like in Germany, Ramstein etc, - it wouldn't surprise me if they had 100s of copies of books like X-men or Spider-Man titles. These bases are often huge and have a lot of bored often homesick people looking for american entertainment.

People have to remember that in the 80s, the military represented almost the prime audience, mostly young men, either in their teens or just out of them, and their families.

The books with the earlier insert (NDS) are probably close to the 1/2000, pertaining more to the survival rate than the original print run. Find one with a star stamp and it was most likely brought home from a base overseas. Find one in a key and some people will pay you extra for it. Find one in a 9.0+ grade and you're extremely lucky. The bigger the key (Hulk 181, ASM 129, IM 55 etc) the more some collectors will be willing to pay to get a copy with an insert, and especially in higher grade.

-J.

Is there a Mark Jewelers copy of New Mutants 98? I ask because I just found an X-Factor 63 with the insert and that is the same month that NM 98 came out.

Yes. I own one.

Jim

Personally, I see them more in DCs.

When I was actively buying every MJ insert comic I could find, I found that Marvels were much easier to find than DCs. By a big margin.

Jim